The Curious Case of John Richard Jeanneret

PASabreFan

I've been listening to Rick Jeanneret since Christmas of 1975. There haven't been many finer calls than his call of Jack's winner last night.

"Sizing up the situation" to build the drama. I don't think he's ever used that line.

"Cuts in front" to set the stage.

"He shoots, he scores!" — to use some classic hockey language. Excited, still under control.

"Jack Eichel coast to coast, rams it home!" to place it perfectly in the mind's eye.

"Can you believe it?" to harken back to some of his greatest calls.

And the familiar "ooooooooovertime."

Appropriate, because this one belongs.

In recent years, understandably, given health issues we knew about and also found out about later (pacemaker), Rick had one foot in Van Miller territory: a legendary play by play announcer who got caught on the rush by a furiously backchecking old age. You felt warm and fuzzy hearing his calls, but you felt deep down a long, melancholy goodbye was taking place because things would never be the same.

Now, suddenly, vintage Rick seems to be back. Well, maybe not vintage Rick. Maybe this Rick is even better. He's playing his own game, letting the game come to him. He sounds as comfortable in his own skin as anyone could.

Whatever fountain of youth he's drinking from — and I'm pretty sure it's bubbling with Molson's — we should all take a long drink.

Edited by PASabreFan

I think that part of the problem was the level of play during the t**k years. It was depressong, and probably wore on him as much as his health issues did. We actually have some exciting players lately, and the little shot of enthusiasm is showing in his calls.

I was going to say the same thing. RJ is always at his best when there is exciting end to end hockey with chances on both sides. He is less dynamic and memorable when both teams are playing NJD trap/Alamo mode. During the last few years truly exciting plays were few and far between, but lately the offensive talent has begun to show and the scoring chances are coming. He's got some material to work with.

To be fair, he still does make numbers mistakes and mis-announces calls (stopped on a high stick when it was clearly a glove pass), so his age is still showing. 

Agreed, agreed, PA. Good breakdown of that call.

I think it's a combination of things: Less of a work load for RJ, his overall health is better, and there are things to get excited about (Eichel, namely).

The one tiny criticism: That wasn't so much a ram-home as it was a shot that called for a "smoked" or "laser."

I think it's a combination of things: Less of a work load for RJ, his overall health is better, and there are things to get excited about (Eichel, namely).

The one tiny criticism: That wasn't so much a ram-home as it was a shot that called for a "smoked" or "laser."

Yeah, I was listening to the game instead of watching, I assumed that shot was from right by the goalie: usually his "rammed it home" means a pass in the paint thats put away.

Still, I think if I can listen to RJ call 10 games a year and the playoffs (God be good) and they're the quality I heard last night I'll take that for a million years.

"sizing up the situation" was the first thing I noticed when I watched the highlight this morning.  Great description.  That's always been his biggest asset--describing the play.  I hate to say this, but that Jack Edwards guy is pretty good at that too.

I hate to say this, but that Jack Edwards guy is pretty good at that too.

Unfortunately it comes with everything else he does. I'll give him this much, he is absolutely perfect for his market.

RJ is a damn treasure and it makes me really happy to hear him in such fine fettle at this late stage. Can't wrap my head around not hearing him. I know he takes games off now but the first game after he's done for good will be very different. I'm sure this is why I, and I'm sure others, am so willing to forgive him his flubs.

I've been on the "time to put RJ out to pasture" bandwagon for some time, but I have to admit that he's picked up his game quite a bit the last few games.  A pleasure to listen to again.  I hope the Sabres continue their improved play because *that* is the RJ's fountain of youth.

RJ makes following the Sabres so much more fun. Part of my impatience with this rebuilding process is that I fear RJ will retire before we finally become very competitive. I want to hear this great man completely lose his ###### when Eichel scores the Stanley Cup-clinching goal.

The Cup-clinching goal will be scored by someone like Carrier.

Or Girgensons.

RJ makes following the Sabres so much more fun. Part of my impatience with this rebuilding process is that I fear RJ will retire before we finally become very competitive. I want to hear this great man completely lose his ###### when Eichel scores the Stanley Cup-clinching goal.

The timing of The Moment doesn't seem impossible anymore. Well, at least Rick is doing his part.

Fair enough. I'm sure the puck felt rammed.

One thing that SEEMS to be different this year than in the tank years & earlier is that he doesn't try to call all the puck movement (like he did radio-only & still in most of the simulcast years). You don't get quite the same picture drawn, but he's focusing more on the big picture & it's working.

Note: used the word "seems" in bold because it could very well only be my prrception. Obviously haven't compared past broadcasts to recent ones to determine if it's just memory playing tricks.

One thing that SEEMS to be different this year than in the tank years & earlier is that he doesn't try to call all the puck movement (like he did radio-only & still in most of the simulcast years). You don't get quite the same picture drawn, but he's focusing more on the big picture & it's working.

Note: used the word "seems" in bold because it could very well only be my prrception. Obviously haven't compared past broadcasts to recent ones to determine if it's just memory playing tricks.

I've noticed the same thing this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.