The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

If it makes you feel any better, teenage pregnancy has declined by almost 25% over the last decade in the US.  Still absurdly high as compared to the rest of the developed world.  Also, I would be willing to bet it'll be going back up for the next few years though.

Saddest thing I came across during my Social Services days: 27 year old grandmother.  I can't even with that. 

Tell that to Texas

Plan B really isn't expensive.

Can't buy it if you can't get it. Or are told it's a terrible thing. Or you just don't know it exists cause, ya know, abstinence is the key. 

Can't buy it if you can't get it. Or are told it's a terrible thing. Or you just don't know it exists cause, ya know, abstinence is the key.

I know I haven't lived in NY in a few years but I remember it being sold everywhere. Every pharmacy except Walmart. And after a while Walmart gave in also.

I know I haven't lived in NY in a few years but I remember it being sold everywhere. Every pharmacy except Walmart. And after a while Walmart gave in also.

It's everywhere around here. Super cheap, super easy to get. Lot of the times, Plan B is Plan A

Located, activated, obstructed, alerted, departmental, grounded, documented, corrected, educated, collected.

I had a meeting today. I started keeping track of the words that the person was saying that were bugging the out of me. Take the 'ed' off of all the words and add 'it'. Located is now locate it. And departmental has an extra syllable.

Kinda drove me a little nuts.

Saddest thing I came across during my Social Services days: 27 year old grandmother.  I can't even with that. 

How did the math work out on that one, one had a kid at 14 and the other at 13?  Or was it somehow even worse than that?

Edited by shrader

Define "super cheap".

Cheaper than a procedure or a baby. 

I've never had to take it, but from friends who have- it's not exactly pleasant in a lot of cases. Essentially give yourself the flu/cramps from hell for a couple days. Some don't feel a thing, others feel pretty miserable. Should never be Plan A, if for no other reason than STDs alone. *gets off soapbox* 

Walmart with a uhhhhh...questionable move

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/895639289169559553

Yeah, people/employees have been putting that sign all over the store in questionable/silly places. OWN THIS SCHOOL YEAR LIKE A HERO above the lotion and kleenex, the TP, the condoms, etc.... 

Cheaper than a procedure or a baby.

I've never had to take it, but from friends who have- it's not exactly pleasant in a lot of cases. Essentially give yourself the flu/cramps from hell for a couple days. Some don't feel a thing, others feel pretty miserable. Should never be Plan A, if for no other reason than STDs alone. *gets off soapbox*

Yeah, people/employees have been putting that sign all over the store in questionable/silly places. OWN THIS SCHOOL YEAR LIKE A HERO above the lotion and kleenex, the TP, the condoms, etc....

That's for sure true, but I had to buy some for a friend (that's not a cover, they were legitimately afraid of being seen buying it but really needed it) and it was like $50, and no way would I use the words "super cheap" to describe $50 haha but maybe that's the broke 22 year old in me.

That's for sure true, but I had to buy some for a friend (that's not a cover, they were legitimately afraid of being seen buying it but really needed it) and it was like $50, and no way would I use the words "super cheap" to describe $50 haha but maybe that's the broke 22 year old in me.

No that's not super cheap. I'm right there with you. 

$15 would be super cheap for that I feel. $50 is... well, a lot of money to a lot of people. It certainly is for me right now. Looks like you can get an off-brand of the same ingredients for $40. That would still be 2-3 weeks worth of groceries for me. 

Condoms are way way cheaper. Assuming they don't break. 

I guess 50 bucks for an oops is still better than a bunch of preg tests and dr visits (whatever the choice may be). But if that's your plan of action over just using a damn rubber, seems irresponsible to me. Not like women like them that much either, trust me. Plan B is 89-95% effective if taken right. Squidgy error margin if that's your plan a. 

Define "super cheap".

No that's not super cheap. I'm right there with you. 

$15 would be super cheap for that I feel. $50 is... well, a lot of money to a lot of people. It certainly is for me right now. Looks like you can get an off-brand of the same ingredients for $40. That would still be 2-3 weeks worth of groceries for me. 

Condoms are way way cheaper. Assuming they don't break. 

I guess 50 bucks for an oops is still better than a bunch of preg tests and dr visits (whatever the choice may be). But if that's your plan of action over just using a damn rubber, seems irresponsible to me. Not like women like them that much either, trust me. Plan B is 89-95% effective if taken right. Squidgy error margin if that's your plan a. 

$50 is pretty cheap in my book for what you're buying, especially compared to what the alternative costs / action is. $50 is a typical bar tab for me, so it's basically just staying home one night

The alternative thing is a joke. 

Buying condoms? Yeah man. I've been in a relationship for 4 years and we actually are barely active, because at this point in our lives a baby would be a complete and utter disaster. Both of our career hopes would basically die

Are you a millennial? this sounds like a millennial. 

I bought it once for an old gf I was with, drove to rite aid in Orchard Park (maybe Walgreens) whatever one was 24 hours, it's percentages are better the quicker after the oops you take it. I wasn't graduated yet so 50$ was (and still) is a bit of cash for 1 pill. I bought it and after getting back to the car she tells me "oh my insurances covers that in full" smh lol.

As for the side effects, yes, they suck.... Cramping, bleeding, bloating and the whole deal.... Plus they can throw your cycle off for 2-3 months after, so not my plan A recommendation, but I am glad it exists.

As for a 27 year old grandmother?!?! I cant say I've seen one that young, I've seen early 30's but 27 wow.

And in other news, along similar kind of lines.... I would be wiling to get pregnant and carry a baby to term if the science was available and it meant I never had to work again anymore.

Even in a relationship?

We did until I got an IUD (2ish years into the relationship). I trust him, he trusts me, there's still a risk but it's pretty minimal. I still get tested every lady doc visit, though. For records, if nothing else. 

Buying condoms? Yeah man. I've been in a relationship for 4 years and we actually are barely active, because at this point in our lives a baby would be a complete and utter disaster. Both of our career hopes would basically die

Yep. We've got some years on you and it would still be a financial disaster. I wouldn't be able to give the kid/s the life I feel they deserve and I would never forgive myself. We'd make do, many many many do.

The whole concept/details of pregnancy and birth utterly disgusts me. Maternal glow my a$$. Leaking and vomiting and sh!tting and pain. Babies creep me out, toddlers are fine in small doses, I'm great with ages 4 and up... I just worry I'd be a horrendous mother. 

The insane pressure I'm facing at 27 from friends and family is growing and growing. My sister just had a hysterectomy- I'm the Great Last Hope. I Have To Do It. I have absolutely no ticking in my biological clock, and the "window" is closing, and it makes me feel like a broken monster.

It absolutely sucks. But if I'm going to go through it, it's going to be on my terms, as much as I can control them. 

And in other news, along similar kind of lines.... I would be wiling to get pregnant and carry a baby to term if the science was available and it meant I never had to work again anymore.

.... if you meant you wish it was more of a thing to be a stay at home dad, I agree. That'd be awesome. Different answers for different families. 

We did until I got an IUD (2ish years into the relationship). I trust him, he trusts me, there's still a risk but it's pretty minimal. I still get tested every lady doc visit, though. For records, if nothing else. 

Yep. We've got some years on you and it would still be a financial disaster. I wouldn't be able to give the kid/s the life I feel they deserve and I would never forgive myself. We'd make do, many many many do.

The whole concept/details of pregnancy and birth utterly disgusts me. Maternal glow my a$$. Leaking and vomiting and sh!tting and pain. Babies creep me out, toddlers are fine in small doses, I'm great with ages 4 and up... I just worry I'd be a horrendous mother. 

The insane pressure I'm facing at 27 from friends and family is growing and growing. My sister just had a hysterectomy- I'm the Great Last Hope. I Have To Do It. I have absolutely no ticking in my biological clock, and the "window" is closing, and it makes me feel like a broken monster.

It absolutely sucks. But if I'm going to go through it, it's going to be on my terms, as much as I can control them. 

.... if you meant you wish it was more of a thing to be a stay at home dad, I agree. That'd be awesome. Different answers for different families. 

That's so stupid. "Completely alter/derail your life, going through months of pain and years of incredibly hard work that takes away from other facets of life that you're still trying to build, so I have something cute to play with on the weekend that I can promptly give back to you when it craps itself"

I have friends and family going through the same thing with their families.

Edited by Randall Flagg

That's so stupid. "Completely alter/derail your life, going through months of pain and years of incredibly hard work that takes away from other facets of life that you're still trying to build, so I have something cute to play with on the weekend that I can promptly give back to you when it craps itself"

I have friends and family going through the same thing with their families.

You summed it up and I could hug you. 

Not one person in my family has ever hinted at my wife and I having "one of your own." I put that in quotes because my son isn't biologically mine. I've raised him since he was 3. Thus, I've skipped all the parts. I've never changed a diaper, never held a kid that couldn't walk, never had to feed or clean a miniature vomit machine. I've missed nothing in life by doing it this way and I'm never having another child.

I'm really thankful to have a family that never gets into my business, like, ever. But I'm even more thankful to have never ever heard my wife utter the phrase "well my mother thinks..." Nobody gives a what your mother thinks!

Here's to me not contaminating the world with another cynical . And if my kid turns out bad....I'll just blame his head father's DNA.

Girl, I've got 10 years on you and I finally came to terms over the last few years that the urge was just never going to be there for me.  I feel badly about it when there are people like my friend who desperately want children and can't have them, and I'm totally open to adoption if I reach that place later in life, but it's never been something I wanted; only something other people and/or society think you should want.  And I'm sure it makes my parents a little sad since I was also the "only hope" in my family (my brother is gay), but my dad has never pressured me about it and I think my mom gave up long ago.

Girl, I've got 10 years on you and I finally came to terms over the last few years that the urge was just never going to be there for me.  I feel badly about it when there are people like my friend who desperately want children and can't have them, and I'm totally open to adoption if I reach that place later in life, but it's never been something I wanted; only something other people and/or society think you should want.  And I'm sure it makes my parents a little sad since I was also the "only hope" in my family (my brother is gay), but my dad has never pressured me about it and I think my mom gave up long ago.

I've got nothing but respect for people who do what's best for them. My best friend got her tubes tied last year. She knew that she never wanted children and both her and her husband struggled too much with mental illness to feel they could raise a child. Having a family/some friends who support you is so incredibly important. 

For me it's harder that most of the people who want me to have kids ARE nice about it... it's this soft disappointment they express followed quickly by "but of course it's your choice" that just wrenches at my heart. I'll probably end up doing it, d4rk wants kids, it just won't be as soon as people seem to think it should be. I would prefer to have a home, a bit of money saved up, ideally marriage out of the way first. I dreamed I would travel/get another degree/do something with my life before I went down that road, but ... who knows, I've got a few years I guess. I keep viewing it as this guillotine slamming down on my life and ending it as I know it. I'm selfish. 

I've got nothing but respect for people who do what's best for them. My best friend got her tubes tied last year. She knew that she never wanted children and both her and her husband struggled too much with mental illness to feel they could raise a child. Having a family/some friends who support you is so incredibly important. 

For me it's harder that most of the people who want me to have kids ARE nice about it... it's this soft disappointment they express followed quickly by "but of course it's your choice" that just wrenches at my heart. I'll probably end up doing it, d4rk wants kids, it just won't be as soon as people seem to think it should be. I would prefer to have a home, a bit of money saved up, ideally marriage out of the way first. I dreamed I would travel/get another degree/do something with my life before I went down that road, but ... who knows, I've got a few years I guess. I keep viewing it as this guillotine slamming down on my life and ending it as I know it. I'm selfish. 

This is exactly what I realized about myself; I'm not willing to give up the ability to travel (even if I can't afford it right now), and to watch my kid on a kiddie ride at the amusement park instead of going on the roller coasters, etc.  It hurts a little to admit that about myself, but it's the truth, and I think it's better to recognize it than to be a bad parent or end up resenting my child for missing out, which is what I sometimes think happened to my mom when she had my brother and I at 19 and 20.  I'd rather be parent to a fur-kid or 3 than mess up a child who never asked to be born.