The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

And he digs in deeper

Shrader, you made the comment. I just brought it to the surface.

This Seinfeld episode spells out your next moves, so you can clear your conscience.

Next steps:

• Take a picture of said co-worker for placement on your desk.
  • Seek out new diversified friends to prove you're not racist.
  • Make a blanket statement that you don't see people based on color.
  • Take your exterminator to dinner.

This Seinfeld episode spells out your next moves, so you can clear your conscience.

Next steps:

Not sure if you are trying to be humorous or trying to make Shrader out to be an evil racist, but IMHO you are failing on both counts.

Next steps:

I'm not sure what's afoot here. But anyone who thinks that it isn't natural to perceive similarities in people of other ethnicities/races, when people of that ethnicity or race would NOT see the similarity, is fooling him- or herself.

I had the good fortune to deal with this in a light, humorous way (I hope) at the supermarket once. I was concentrating hard on a choice of cereals when a black lady, about my age (hey, but I'm sure I have no idea), says at/to me: "Doug?! ... Doug?! Is that YOU?!" I sorta look up toward the voice, and now I'm in a bear hug. "[shrieking] Ahhh! DOUG! Oh my GOD! ..."  

My name ain't Doug. She realizes I'm not Doug, and now she's MORTIFIED, babbling. I'm never particularly good on my feet like this, but I managed to make her feel a lot better and resolve the situation by quietly remarking: "Don't worry about it - you know what they say about white people all looking alike." That lady laughed and laughed and laughed. As did I, in spite of myself almost.

I still see her every now and then at the same neighbourhood grocery - we always exchange a smile and a chuckle. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

Not sure if you are trying to be humorous or trying to make Shrader out to be an evil racist, but IMHO you are failing on both counts.

Now I know you're lying... this was a great Seinfeld episode. And it fits exactly what Shrader said.

I am not saying Shrader is a racist, but he made the same comment that a HIGHLY regarded, and successful sitcom had based an episode on. Why am I the bad guy for simply pointing that out?

If you do not see the parallels between what he said and that episode, I am speechless.

Now I know you're lying... this was a great Seinfeld episode. And it fits exactly what Shrader said.

I am not saying Shrader is a racist, but he made the same comment that a HIGHLY regarded, and successful sitcom had based an episode on. Why am I the bad guy for simply pointing that out?

If you do not see the parallels between what he said and that episode, I am speechless.

So, now you are accusing 1 poster here of being a racist and another of being a liar? :huh:

Wow.

I'm not sure what's afoot here. But anyone who thinks that it isn't natural to perceive similarities in people of other ethnicities/races, when people of that ethnicity or race would NOT see the similarity, is fooling him- or herself.

I had the good fortune to deal with this in a light, humorous way (I hope) at the supermarket once. I was concentrating hard on a choice of cereals when a black lady, about my age (hey, but I'm sure I have no idea), says at/to me: "Doug?! ... Doug?! Is that YOU?!" I sorta look up toward the voice, and now I'm in a bear hug. "[shrieking] Ahhh! DOUG! Oh my GOD! ..."  

My name ain't Doug. She realizes I'm not Doug, and now she's MORTIFIED, babbling. I'm never particularly good on my feet like this, but I managed to make her feel a lot better and resolve the situation by quietly remarking: "Don't worry about it - you know what they say about white people all looking alike." That lady laughed and laughed and laughed. As did I, in spite of myself almost.

I still see her every now and then at the same neighbourhood grocery - we always exchange a smile and a chuckle. 

Handled quite well. I would hope to run into you for that type of reaction, and not get the reaction that I also saw on here.

I knew that there was a movie or clip where that very scenario was addressed but I couldn't place it yesterday when I made the initial twitter comment. To find it today and see that it is spot on... But the elephant in the room somehow is me, not Shrader for saying it. Still cannot figure that one out.

Just this past week, I was walking up to this guy from behind, and as I started to come around him, he looked like "Mike." So as I walk around him, I said "Hey Mike, what's up, bud?" As I finished my sentence, I realized it wasn't "Mike." I would have said something to address it but his response of "hey buddy, how have you been" just made it even more awkward, and even more humorous. Major difference from Shrader and Aud's situation was that we are/were both white. Culprit is that my vision sucks, and I didn't want to fail to acknowledge "Mike" for fear of being rude.

Put the shovel down.  Only one person introduced race into this discussion (hint: it was you).  Nowhere in my post is my race or the race of my coworker stated.  So that's an awful lot of assuming going on.

Hey, George, I am assuming that your co-worker is black, since you compared him to another black man. And, I am assuming that you are not black. Can you confirm my suspicions? Funny, George spent the rest of the episode defending that he wasn't a racist, just like you are.

Handled quite well. I would hope to run into you for that type of reaction, and not get the reaction that I also saw on here.

Glad my story made sense. I think you and some other posters are just talking past each other a bit.

You had some chance of being correct with "Mike," anyway. Aren't like fully 2% of all male adults named "Michael"?

To this day, a buddy of mine delights in being in crowds and shouting out "MIKE! Hey -- MIKE!"

Another favourite story on race-ethnicity-confusion.

As an undergrad, I took an anthropology course with a 60-something, tweedy, super learned, somewhat sanctimonious, out of central casting professor, who was all the rage on campus. I think he even smoked a pipe.

One of his areas of expertise was southeast Asia. He was married to a woman born in ... well, born somewhere in that region of the world. Vietnam, maybe. I just don't recall (racist! xenophobic!).

Anyway. It was a medium sized lecture hall - probably no more than 50 kids enrolled in the class. And there were two Asian-born women who sat in the rear row of the hall/room, on precise opposite sides. To my eye, they looked like they could be related (but, hell, what do I know?!).

Professor McTweedy had a seating chart and would call on students occasionally, especially at a raised hand. 

He always tried to call on these women without reference to the seating chart. You know - to show his ethno-cred. You'd think he could at least go 50-50 on getting the right name. But no. I swear - he batted like .175. By the end of the semester, you could see him enraged with white self-hate as he attempted to call out the correct name, only to fail once again.

I felt such a mix of emotions toward that guy. Get over yourself, McTweedy. You're only human - like the rest of us.

Edited by That Aud Smell

SFiR, don't make shrader leave again.

shrader, there's a guy at my gym who also looks exactly like Doug Whaley.  (He is in fact Doug Whaley, but hey, wanted to make you feel better.)

Edited by Eleven