The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

The point of body hair is to keep you warm, right? Then why is it only developed when you're old enough to survive? Shouldn't you come out looking like Chewbacca, for when you're most vulnerable?

From an evolution standpoint, the answer is probably pretty interesting. The less hairy we became as a species (at birth and otherwise), the more evolved we became.

From an evolution standpoint, the answer is probably pretty interesting. The less hairy we became as a species (at birth and otherwise), the more evolved we became.

A lot of times the deficiencies of a baby are intentional. If there baby had hair and could keep warm then us, ancient man, would probably have left it just lying around and then boom: dead baby. No hair = need for constant attention.

A lot of times the deficiencies of a baby are intentional. If there baby had hair and could keep warm then us, ancient man, would probably have left it just lying around and then boom: dead baby. No hair = need for constant attention.

In a similar sense, is this why women are less hairy?

And no, it's not sexist.

But did inkman come out with fully formed and chiseled calves?

What kind of question is that?

Yes, duh. 

In a similar sense, is this why women are less hairy?

And no, it's not sexist.

According to Wiki, 

Goodhart argued that humans are relatively hairless today compared to our ancestors because women who were sexually selected for their "hairless trait" passed it on to both their male and female offspring.[12]

So essentially, cavemen wanted to bang something that didn't look like other cavemen. Just something about hormones/chemicals as to why xx chomosome people grew less swarthy than xy. But that's not always true- lots of women are super duper hairy. I have a good friend who could grow a full beard if she wanted. Black, wiry hair. But she shaves/waxes everything off. 

And yeah, I'm sure keeping the women who were mostly gatherers/upkeepers at camp tending to hairless vulnerable babies while wrapped in animal skins made the need for heavy element protecting hair less necessary. Funnily enough, despite these sorts of things, women are actually physically better suited for things such as high altitude mountaineering. Energy efficiency. 

Pretty fascinating stuff. 

So the next time I need something retrieved from the top of a mountain, I'm sending Josie and Chz I guess.

I'm in.

I'm a huge alpinist fan. I read/follow that sh!t even though I'd never really do it. 

Unless of course there's something really important on the top of that mountain. Depending on the mountain. 

Girlfriend wants me to her parents, we've only been seeing each other for a month. This seems...fast

Eh, I've met girls parents sooner. Not a huge deal. She mentions the word wedding, though...then you may have a bit of a massive problem.

Girlfriend wants me to her parents, we've only been seeing each other for a month. This seems...fast

I never understood the big deal about meeting a girl's parents, or vice versa. 

Of course, I don't think I ever dated a girl who's parents didn't like me. 

In fact, I always had the other problem, which is that their parents often liked me more than the girl did.  :blush:

I feel like the meeting of the parents was only really significant when you were in high school/younger. Back then we were all little sh!ts and meeting the parents was intimidating as not many adults tend to like teenage boys, especially ones trying to get with their daughter. Otherwise you could still "date" a girl by just hanging out at the mall or going somewhere, but once you met the parents you were more official. 

Eh, I've met girls parents sooner. Not a huge deal. She mentions the word wedding, though...then you may have a bit of a massive problem.

I never understood the big deal about meeting a girl's parents, or vice versa. 

In fact, I always had the other problem, which is that their parents often liked me more than the girl did.  :blush:

I feel like the meeting of the parents was only really significant when you were in high school/younger. Back then we were all little sh!ts and meeting the parents was intimidating as not many adults tend to like teenage boys, especially ones trying to get with their daughter. Otherwise you could still "date" a girl by just hanging out at the mall or going somewhere, but once you met the parents you were more official. 

Good call, think you guys are right. Doesn't help that it's the morning after a bachelor party and they're hard-core old school Catholics, so it should be fun :lol:

Good call, think you guys are right. Doesn't help that it's the morning after a bachelor party and they're hard-core old school Catholics, so it should be fun :lol:

Welp, if they're old school Catholics and their daughter likes you, it means she already doesn't care what they think, so whatever impression you make is irrelevant. 

Ask them how long to microwave a baby. 

Welp, if they're old school Catholics and their daughter likes you, it means she already doesn't care what they think, so whatever impression you make is irrelevant. 

Ask them how long to microwave a baby. 

Think they're Irish, so they might know the answer to that one

Depends on the scenario. Is it a huge deal/dinner/stuffy set up? Could be a red flag. 

Buuuut most the time, roll with it, if it's casual it's no big deal. 

D4rk surprised me about a month in. I'd just graduated from RIT that morning and was going to a party in Buffalo with him/meeting all his friends for the first time. Which was already overwhelming. I wasn't exactly dressed conservatively, and we're in the car, "oh by the way, gotta swing by my parent's house, they want to meet you". 

WHAT. DUDE. MY BRA IS HANGING OUT, MY SHORTS ARE TOO SHORT, I AM NOT IN 'MEET THE PARENTS' MODE RIGHT NOW.

Course, they couldn't have cared less, they were super nice and it was very chill, and we all got on like a house on fire. 

I think d4rk met mine before that, as they were up for all my graduation stuff. I think my art shows they all met. Again, super casual. 

So yeah. You know her, we don't, you know the vibe. But most the time, it's no big deal. Most likely just means she really likes you and trusts her parents' opinions, and wants to see if they do too. 

In fact, I always had the other problem, which is that their parents often liked me more than the girl did. :blush:

...aaand again, I'm on the opposite side of the coin. I've never met a girls parents who liked me. Zero! Including my wife's mother.

But, then again, I'm not dating the parents. So, to that I say, doooont care!

...aaand again, I'm on the opposite side of the coin. I've never met a girls parents who liked me. Zero! Including my wife's mother.

But, then again, I'm not dating the parents. So, to that I say, doooont care!

I had one bf whose mom hated me. Dad loved me. I couldn't figure out why. I had a reputation as a good girl, top of my class, all the things these people liked/went on about. I decided it was because I was slightly older than her son. She'd call me a wh0re to my face. 

Nope. Wasn't the right religion. They were part of some crazy cult. Eventually they got into some kind of federal trouble, and they moved to the west coast.  

Didn't work out for a lot of reasons, one of the biggest being his sister and I sharing the same name... and his weird relationship with her... yeesshh. 

Had another ex's parents hug me, the mom nearly sobbing (first time I'd ever met them as they were from Utah, post breakup) about how she wished her son wouldn't make this mistake. That was hard.

I think I get along with d4rk's parents better than my own! 

Edited by Josie914