GDT: NY Islanders at Buffalo 7:00 pm ET, 12/16/2016

Doohickie

Nobody here wants that. 

No, but it's an option.

What people fail to understand is that SS is owned by someone and the admins/mods are delegated by that someone.  THEY, and only THEY, have the ability and the RIGHT to control what gets discussed here.  This isn't an open forum.  It's a moderated message board and the moderators have the right to shape the forum in the way they want.  No one that's not part of that inner sanctum has the right to dictate what they do.

From what I've seen on this forum in the past, the leadership here is steadfast.  Others may describe it as stubborn.  But if they said there's not going to be a politics thread for a while, trying to get them to change their minds by polluting other threads is, if anything, going to have the opposite effect than the "protesters" intend.

Personally, I think the Isles will move back to Long Island in a couple of years.  The Barclay's Center just isn't meant for hockey and the players all still live and practice on Long Island (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/sports/hockey/new-york-islanders-play-in-brooklyn-stay-on-long-island.html?_r=0)

It might work. Not sure why people feel obligated to discuss politics anywhere in this forum, let alone hijacking threads to do it. To each their own.

I hate responding to you in a GD thread. Because arrogantly the one thread dedicated to it was arbitrary and capriciously closed... so an occassional referrence to it seems reasonable. The more totalitarian this place gets to prevent such said discussion is gonna drive folks away. And the one in TBD is idiotic most of the time. Yes folks got a little heated here towards the end of the election. An announced week or two break makes sense, but a "till further notice"marks of communistic authoritarian arrogance and I am sad to see this game time discussion devolve into something it shouldnt be because of said board arrogance.

No, but it's an option.

What people fail to understand is that SS is owned by someone and the admins/mods are delegated by that someone.  THEY, and only THEY, have the ability and the RIGHT to control what gets discussed here.  This isn't an open forum.  It's a moderated message board and the moderators have the right to shape the forum in the way they want.  No one that's not part of that inner sanctum has the right to dictate what they do.

From what I've seen on this forum in the past, the leadership here is steadfast.  Others may describe it as stubborn.  But if they said there's not going to be a politics thread for a while, trying to get them to change their minds by polluting other threads is, if anything, going to have the opposite effect than the "protesters" intend.

I understand... not sure what ill do but need to consider my options :(

No, but it's an option.

That defeats the purpose of cultivating an online community though. Sure, it's important to remove hostile posters or threads now and then, but this forum has always been relatively laissez faire with respect to topics, moderation, language, etc. Suddenly a crackdown has occurred and a topic of discussion that has been central to this community for YEARS is abruptly verboten. That's a rather tough pill to swallow for a group of people who are used to being able to talk about pretty much anything with each other. Imagine if your group of friends suddenly decided that talking about food was off limits entirely. No matter what else you find to talk about, you'll all be sitting there at the table secretly wanting to SCREAM about food to each other. Get what I'm saying? It could take years for people on this forum to stop wanting to talk to each other about the subject that must not be named. 

Personally, I think the Isles will move back to Long Island in a couple of years.  The Barclay's Center just isn't meant for hockey and the players all still live and practice on Long Island (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/sports/hockey/new-york-islanders-play-in-brooklyn-stay-on-long-island.html?_r=0)

Actually, Barclays Center (and Brooklyn in general) is on Long Island.  So they're already there.  But yeah, I think a new arena will happen.

I do not think a new hockey arena will be built on LI anytime soon.  There is no public money for it, and the economic rationale for privately funding it simply does not exist.

I also think that the Islanders -- like most US hockey teams -- will start to draw well when they start putting a consistently good team on the ice -- and that that won't happen until they get a new GM -- which I think is likely to happen after this year.

Not gonna lie, I get a laugh outta every time you post that, MODO :lol:

I just played it for the first time.  I lol'ed.

Coach Bylsma: No Bogosian or Fedun in the lineup tonight. Possible one of them could play tomorrow in Carolina. https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/809790269365297153

You're closer to the situation.... sounds like you have a pulse of what's going on.

Certainly closer than the guy who thinks the Isles still play on Long Island. Technically, geographically, yes, but not in the eyes of true Long Islanders. Probably because Brooklyn and Queens are NYC boroughs.

I do not think a new hockey arena will be built on LI anytime soon.  There is no public money for it, and the economic rationale for privately funding it simply does not exist.

I also think that the Islanders -- like most US hockey teams -- will start to draw well when they start putting a consistently good team on the ice -- and that that won't happen until they get a new GM -- which I think is likely to happen after this year.

There's also been some talk of building near where the Mets play in Queens. Citi Field? Does that change your thinking?

There's also been some talk of building near where the Mets play in Queens. Citi Field? Does that change your thinking?

There was indeed talk, but it was along the lines of "the owners of the Islanders would gladly move to a new arena in Queens if someone else paid for it." So nothing real.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.