GDT: NY Islanders at Buffalo 7:00 pm ET, 12/16/2016

Doohickie

Several years ago, the Islanders started with a rebuild based on an elite centre - Tavares.

They had some success, but now they're totally tail spinning.

Whaddup, Isles?

I read somewhere about how Garth has committed absurd amounts of money to a pair of plug 4th liners (sorry no link, no names), while letting useful scoring players like Okposo walk.

New owners took over over the summer and it still feel Wang-chungy over there. I don't see how the business model doesn't require a good, watchable team for the Brooklynites. Attendance is still near the bottom of the league. And there have been rumors that the Isles will try to get back onto Long Island proper in a new arena. There's some opt-out clause after the fourth season at Barclays. This is season two.

Between that, Lucic, and Backes, it's hard to say which is the dumbest signing

Imagine being an Islanders fan right now. Bottom of the league, Ladd contract, Snow and Capuano, and Tavares is going to be a UFA.

Ladd.. 4th liner for $5.5M.  He's a great signing.  I think Montreal signing Shaw was pretty stupid too.  Lucic and Backes not as bad.

Has Okposo been the best Sabre to this point in the season? 

Season to date I'd say yes... but ROR and Jack definitely are making a case.. and perhaps Risto now.

I heard Derek Jeter along with Robin Lehner like Donald Trump. I don't like Trump or his cabinet appointments.  I am excited Lehner is starting tonight because I think he is the better GT IMPO. 

I never frequented the politics thread. I understand the frustration that others have with its being locked, eliminated.

But, please. This sort of stuff can't go on.

I heard Derek Jeter along with Robin Lehner like Donald Trump. I don't like Trump or his cabinet appointments.  I am excited Lehner is starting tonight because I think he is the better GT IMPO. 

The longer you do this, the longer it will be before a politics only thread with level heads contributing will be allowed.

If ROR's absence isn't taken into consideration, he's been the best Sabre. I would tie Risto and Okposo at #2. Accounting for ROR's missed games (6?) I'd go with a 3-way-tie.

Small sample size, but I think Jack deserves some mention here

As far as MVP goes, it's Risto, hands down. Take one player away from our team and imagine how we'd look. Just imagine that defense

Small sample size, but I think Jack deserves some mention here

As far as MVP goes, it's Risto, hands down. Take one player away from our team and imagine how we'd look. Just imagine that defense

I wasn't talking about MVP. who has been our best player since the season started, Okposo was my thought.

oh and the politics thing is not getting dropped anytime soon. 

Bogo almost came back for tonight. Well, I say that because Byslma mentioned that Bogo was a no go for tonight, meaning he had to address the possibility

I wasn't talking about MVP. who has been our best player since the season started, Okposo was my thought.

oh and the politics thing is not getting dropped anytime soon.

1) Fair enough

2) It's beyond annoying. Go do it in some OT thread or something, or pm the mods if you haven't I don't care. This is a big game, and it's annoying to read politics when we're trying to discuss hockey

So to voice your dissatisfaction I and others have to be continually reminded of it? That doesn't seem fair

You are my Underdog

when in this world the headlines read 

of those whose hearts are filled with need

who rob and steal from those who need hockey

to right this wrong with blinding speed 

goes Underdog! Underdog! Underdog! Underdog!

speed of lightning, roar of thunder 

fighting all who sob of politic

Underdog. Underdog! 

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/islanders-john-tavares-to-toronto-maple-leafs-talk-heats-up-1.12609716

And no one can know what Tavares really thinks about the prospect of playing for the Leafs and being the focus of a whole city rather than the quieter slice of life he experiences playing for the Islanders. He does not hang out in New York City much, if at all, preferring the slower life on Long Island where he can focus on hockey.

Not a lifestyle he could continue in Toronto

And this is older article

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tavares-playing-maple-leafs-not-count/

Read somewhere he wouldn't go to Toronto, but buffalo has a shot because we got Moulson and Okposo :p 

At least it was great entertainment value to read and see Leafs fans go apeshit over it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.