Rasmus Ristolainen's very nice week

Randall Flagg

There wasn't a thread for me to put this in, so I'm starting one. 

Two games in two nights, travel in between. Risto, McCabe, and Franson are all that's left from the original D-corps. 

These games are against last year's President's Trophy winner, a team with the best goal-scorer of the generation, and then against the best skater in NHL history playing with ten other top ten picks. Both teams currently in divisional playoff spots. 

Ristolainen played 59:51 in these two games combined. Nine seconds short of SIXTY MINUTES, in back to back games. Against elite offensive teams.

He put up 1 goal and 3 assists in these two games, and was a plus-2 (hah.)

This kid turned 22 a month ago.

What a freaking stud.

Oh, and his postgame comments: "Yeah... it was about time."

Could you have shot it any harder? "Probably not, usually when I shoot the puck I try to put it through the boards." 

How you feeling? "Feels pretty good right now...it's why you train in the summertime... I feel great right now and I could go again tomorrow night."

Again, freaking stud.

Let's play a game: match the stat line to the NHL defenceman

I'll give a hint: Risto has the fourth most points and the fourth best +\-

Pi gets the first guess which one is Barrie.

Phaneuf, Subban, Josi, Ekman-Larson, Pietrangelo, Byfuglien, Letang, Barrie, Klingberg, Ristolainen

14 points -9

17 points -6

15 points -5

12 points -9

16 points -1

13 points -5

18 points -1

15 points -3

12 points -12

10 points -7

Edited by dudacek

Nitpick, McDavid is not the best goal scorer of his generation. He is probably the best hockey player but Laine and Eichel both have superior shots. 

That said I like this thread. Risto has been very solid. I think he has been playing with more and more confidence. His defensive zone work is still just okay but that is what McCabe is there to also help with. Getting him away from Gorges has been a big help too. Ristolainen is better than the other defenders in his draft class at this point for sure. 

And just imagine him consistently paired with a serviceable D partner.

It's amazing how much better he looks paired with McCabe than Gorges (and it's not like he was bad with Gorges). We're talking true #1D, not "well there are 30 teams and he's our #1, therefore he's a #1" type reasoning. How many Dmen would you rather have right now? List isn't too long, and it's shrinking. Long term? That list is even shorter.

Two games in two nights, travel in between. Risto, McCabe, and Franson are all that's left from the original D-corps. 

These games are against last year's President's Trophy winner, a team with the best goal-scorer of the generation, and then against the best skater in NHL history playing with ten other top ten picks. Both teams currently in divisional playoff spots. 

Ristolainen played 59:51 in these two games combined. Nine seconds short of SIXTY MINUTES, in back to back games. Against elite offensive teams.

What a freaking stud.

Could you have shot it any harder? "Probably not, usually when I shoot the puck I try to put it through the boards." 

How you feeling? "Feels pretty good right now...it's why you train in the summertime... I feel great right now and I could go again tomorrow night."

Again, freaking stud.

I love this quote.

It's amazing how much better he looks paired with McCabe than Gorges (and it's not like he was bad with Gorges). We're talking true #1D, not "well there are 30 teams and he's our #1, therefore he's a #1" type reasoning. How many Dmen would you rather have right now? List isn't too long, and it's shrinking. Long term? That list is even shorter.

Karlsson, Burns, PK, off the top of my head. But those are the only ones I can think of right now that would be a no-brainer, straight up trade. Not taking contracts into consideration here, of course.

Agreed. I mentioned it a few GDT's ago, but pairing Risto with McCabe has allowed both of thier games to flourish. Both players are taking charge and playing with confidence, which has allowed them to truly utilize their skills in the offensive zone on pinches and activations. Risto is developing very nicely for a 22 yr old, and last night that shot was ah-may-zing

Nitpick, McDavid is not the best goal scorer of his generation. He is probably the best hockey player but Laine and Eichel both have superior shots. 

That said I like this thread. Risto has been very solid. I think he has been playing with more and more confidence. His defensive zone work is still just okay but that is what McCabe is there to also help with. Getting him away from Gorges has been a big help too. Ristolainen is better than the other defenders in his draft class at this point for sure. 

I read that as best goal scorer of his generation = Ovechkin.

When Gorges comes back and DDB puts him back with Risto, how mad are you going to be?

What a freaking stud.

Again, freaking stud.

Great post!! 

Agreed. I mentioned it a few GDT's ago, but pairing Risto with McCabe has allowed both of thier games to flourish. Both players are taking charge and playing with confidence, which has allowed them to truly utilize their skills in the offensive zone on pinches and activations. Risto is developing very nicely for a 22 yr old, and last night that shot was ah-may-zing

When Gorges comes back and DDB puts him back with Risto, how mad are you going to be?

McCabe still terrifies me with the puck, he had a real good clearance straight to two Oilers in front of the net last night. Long term if more guys are actually healthy, I dunno if he's the ideal partner for Risto. Then again, Gorges is, well, Gorges.

Also worth noting... Risto has thrown 15 hits and blocked 7 shots over the past two games. Not too shabby!

That hit he laid on Lucic was....righteous.  

" And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger " - J. Winfield 1994

I will be mad.

BTW, McCabe was as good on McDavid yesterday as Gorges was in the first game.

And Risto--I mean, what's there left to say that hasn't already been said!

Edited by Eleven

Fancy stat writer Travis Yost (sp?) tweeted some weirdly unflattering (I think?) fancy stat about Risto yesterday. Something about the # of SOGs per 60 PK minutes surrendered when he's on the ice killing a penalty. It was 125 or so. Which is god awful, apparently.

Not sure if that was meant as a commentary on Gorges, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.