GDT: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m. EST, 12/5/2016

PASabreFan

Your #1 goalie needs to come up with big saves now and then. He wasn't challenged much tonight except for the last 2 minutes of regulation. At least two of those goals he allowed were pretty weak. Considering the defense in front of him, they did a good job.

I haven't been impressed with Risto lately. If you're talking about the whiff in front of the net, it was a bad pass and I'm pretty sure Holtby had it covered.

A point, on the road against the Caps with a depleted defense is good. But they could easily have had two.

Lehner might make a save or two more if his defense did more than flail their sticks while they stand still.  As for Risto's whiff, tonight wasn't an anomaly. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What'ja pay? $9?

More than that, but not a lot.

This is the key, I think--he can't do physically what he normally does, and that's causing all kinds of mental issues for him. 'Twas my fear all along with this injury :(

I'm hoping that today was just one of those "Eichel is going to often not look like himself" moments, and that's why they let him keep playing. 

With my current trust levels of anything to do with Buffalo training staffs, I'm worried that they let him do more damage while not having any positive impact on the game because of the tweak. 

Again, this line has been absolute garbage except for one play two games ago. They don't fit.

They were good when they were together last year, although all 3 of them together wasn't something that happened a lot. But Eichel and Reinhart were good together for a large chunk of time, I believe.

They were poor today, though.

I just hope Jack is ok. Gotta hope and assume they wouldn't have let Jack keep playing today if he wasn't ok.

Got a point and didn't have to be watch Lehner get embarrassed in the shootout. I'll take it.

Agreed.

It's clear that keeping possession in OT is critical.  I can't believe Mcabe so frivolously let that puck slide by him.  He kinda stuck his foot out but could have got his stick back there.  He was more interested in getting off the ice than keeping the puck.  He is a real disappointment - I really do not like the way he plays. 

It's clear that keeping possession in OT is critical.  I can't believe Mcabe so frivolously let that puck slide by him.  He kinda stuck his foot out but could have got his stick back there.  He was more interested in getting off the ice than keeping the puck.  He is a real disappointment - I really do not like the way he plays. 

IMO, McCabe has taken a much bigger step forward this year than I ever expected him to make in his entire career. He's been our second-best d-man this season. Again, IMO.

This is the key, I think--he can't do physically what he normally does, and that's causing all kinds of mental issues for him. 'Twas my fear all along with this injury :(

Yep, he seems to be thinking too much when playing. He's mishandled the puck a few times the last 2 games. Making an inaccurate pass, not cleanly trapping the puck, etc....

Good game. I'll take a point.

Larsson and Foligno were awesome tonight. They grinded through some tough minutes. Same goes for Franson, Risto, and McCabe.

Really tough night for Jack, Kane was invisible, and Sam was high again.

Zemgus was awesome! The play through the neutral zone by Risto and Grant was really nice, but Zemgus's finish was sooo sick. It really hurt to watch Zemgus wasted on the 4th line while Carrier and Kane made absolutely no impact on the game.

I don't even blame Kane that much. He's been bad this year but he's being so horrendously deployed by Hot Daniel. Kane plays like he's been told to let Jack and Sam do their thing. Kane wants to be the player carrying the puck and ripping shots. Playing third fiddle doesn't fit his personality, or his game. Let Zemgus play with Eichel or O'Reilly, and let Kane play with Foligno and Larsson to form the best 3rd line in the league.

The tools are there for Hot Daniel to improve our 5 on 5 hockey big time, but he just doesn't seem to see it.

O'Reilly and Okposo were excellent as usual.

Kane wasn't invisible - I wished he was - his two penalties hurt the team - especially the 2nd one with the Caps scoring to tie the game. IF Mr. McRib hadn't missed so many games due to his careless injury, he would likely lead the team in PIM ahead of Gorges.  

I've often told the story about me trying to give away about 30 playoff tickets in 1998.  First round.  I had to leave most of them on a Post newspaper box.

Second round, building half empty.

Third round, building full; half are Sabs fans.

Finals, people started taking notice.

I was glad they were swept.

Now, everyone in town seems to be wearing red on game day, from what I see on TV.

Is it Ovi?  (Because they had Kolzig and Bondra and Jagr in my days there...hardly chopped liver...)

Is it that they no longer have the Screaming for a Vengeance unis?

If he can play, he can play; if he can't, he can't. Resting him for 20 minutes isn't going to change a thing.

I went to a few games in the mid-2000s. It really was the combo of Ovi and the Caps getting good. The games before 2005 were empty if not for the Sabres fans. The place was rocking with people dressed in red by 2007-2008, if I remember right.

Agreed on both. There's so much room that you can't give the puck up easily. That includes SOG.

Larsson and Foligno were awesome tonight. They grinded through some tough minutes. Same goes for Franson, Risto, and McCabe.

Zemgus was awesome! The play through the neutral zone by Risto and Grant was really nice, but Zemgus's finish was sooo sick. It really hurt to watch Zemgus wasted on the 4th line while Carrier and Kane made absolutely no impact on the game.

I don't even blame Kane that much. He's been bad this year but he's being so horrendously deployed by Hot Daniel. Kane plays like he's been told to let Jack and Sam do their thing. Kane wants to be the player carrying the puck and ripping shots. Playing third fiddle doesn't fit his personality, or his game. Let Zemgus play with Eichel or O'Reilly, and let Kane play with Foligno and Larsson to form the best 3rd line in the league.

The tools are there for Hot Daniel to improve our 5 on 5 hockey big time, but he just doesn't seem to see it.

IIRC, that combination played great for us last year; flat out dominated and controlled games. I'd like to see it again, but where does Gionta go in this scenario?

Hey, go easy on Trump. He convinced Carrier to stay around, and he's been playing pretty well since his call up.

Yes, let's celebrate Trump for spending 7million dollars in taxpayer money to keep a few hundreds jobs in the country while setting the precedent for companies to threaten the US with leaving unless we pay out. Good job Trump, hope he doesn't break his back while he's patting himself on it.  Oh and around 1,000 jobs are still going buh bye. Great win Merica. It would be like calling up Guhle and celebrating his first NHL goal while simultaneously ignoring the 7 goals he was directly responsible for allowing to be scored. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/12/06/he-got-up-there-and-lied-his-a-off-carrier-union-leader-on-trumps-big-deal/?utm_term=.a1ff0ffdec6b

"But taxpayers were left with a $7 million bill, after Mr Trump promised tax breaks and grants to the US company (Carrier) which still plans to shift around 1,000 jobs out of the country."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38216632

Edited by LGR4GM

Yes, let's celebrate Trump for spending 7million dollars in taxpayer money to keep a few hundreds jobs in the country while setting the precedent for companies to threaten the US with leaving unless we pay out. Good job Trump, hope he doesn't break his back while he's patting himself on it.  Oh and around 1,000 jobs are still going buh bye. Great win Merica. It would be like calling up Guhle and celebrating his first NHL goal while simultaneously ignoring the 7 goals he was directly responsible for allowing to be scored. 

"But taxpayers were left with a $7 million bill, after Mr Trump promised tax breaks and grants to the US company (Carrier) which still plans to shift around 1,000 jobs out of the country."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38216632

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24413-around-the-nhl-2016-2017/?p=891427

Strange,  I saw a completely different game.    I thought O'Reilly struggled, he didn't generate much and wasn't very good on the forecheck like he usually is.    He's been invisible the last few games.   Okposo was OK I guess, but his puck possession wasn't very good.    I thought Eichel was fine even with the tweaked ankle... Reinhart wasn't that great again.     I thought Kane was OK, he was buzzing around the net and getting in on the forecheck which is what he does best.     I liked Carrier's game again, he seems to be getting better every game, his + skating was noticeable and made a difference causing turnovers.   Didn't like Foligno or Larsson's game, too many turnovers, too slow, poor hockey IQ.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.