Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

The fan base is already disappointed. Unleash the youth forwards for the rest of the season. Bring up Baptiste, Bailey and Fasching. Send down Des, Cal and Falk.

Let the dogs loose, let's see what we have collectively.

I don't want any of the young'ns up. Let them age and learn where they are supposed to. Not bringing them up shows us the patience that someone mentioned about GMTM.

Edited by SwampD

We are dead last in the eastern conference and you have the gall to argue that he understands how to win games? If playing a NJD style helped us win games than we would be winning games, but we lose and lose and lose. We lose because we don't score enough. How many 1 goal games do we have? How many 2 goal games? How many goals do you need to win an NHL game on average, what's that lassie? Timmy said you need on average 3 goals a game to win!?  

You can defend him, that is your right but trying to use the defense of "he understands that to win he must play a more NJ style" is laughable when we are 16th in the east with a whopping 17 wins this season. Survey says Bylsma doesn't know s#!t. 

Good to see you back, the place is better with AngryLiger.

We are dead last in the eastern conference and you have the gall to argue that he understands how to win games? If playing a NJD style helped us win games than we would be winning games, but we lose and lose and lose. We lose because we don't score enough. How many 1 goal games do we have? How many 2 goal games? How many goals do you need to win an NHL game on average, what's that lassie? Timmy said you need on average 3 goals a game to win!?  

You can defend him, that is your right but trying to use the defense of "he understands that to win he must play a more NJ style" is laughable when we are 16th in the east with a whopping 17 wins this season. Survey says Bylsma doesn't know s#!t. 

We are 500 by playing this style.  It's often ugly and it's a problem long-term, but I think if we just played run and gun we'd be down in pts with AZ and Colorado.  You can argue your OK with that because we'd get another shot at a top pick and I would defend someone right to that opinion.  However from DD's perspective he is doing what is best to try to win games with the crappy roster he has and that is his job.

As to Tor D vs Buffalo D the comparison is a joke.  Tor's D is simply better and deeper, although they have no one as good as Risto.  They are getting excellent play from Gardiner (26), and good play from Reilly (22), Zaitsev (25) and reasonable play from vets Hunwick (30) and Polak (31).  Zaitsev is actually their leader in TOI at about 24 minutes a night.  They were also getting solid play from Marincin until he got hurt in early December.  If the Sabres had the Leaf's D group they could play a more up tempo style.

One other note, GMTM went and got ROR and Okposo because of their 2 way game.  He fully expected and wanted this team to be very defensively aware.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

We are 500 by playing this style.  It's often ugly and it's a problem long-term, but I think if we just played run and gun we'd be down in pts with AZ and Colorado.  You can argue your OK with that because we'd get another shot at a top pick and I would defend someone right to that opinion.  However from DD's perspective he is doing what is best to try to win games with the crappy roster he has and that is his job.

As to Tor D vs Buffalo D the comparison is a joke.  Tor's D is simply better and deeper, although they have no one as good as Risto.  They are getting excellent play from Gardiner (26), and good play from Reilly (22), Zaitsev (25) and reasonable play from vets Hunwick (30) and Polak (31).  Zaitsev is actually their leader in TOI at about 24 minutes a night.  They were also getting solid play from Marincin until he got hurt in early December.  If the Sabres had the Leaf's D group they could play a more up tempo style.

One other note, GMTM went and got ROR and Okposo because of their 2 way game.  He fully expected and wanted this team to be very defensively aware.

First bold: Why? When we play transition teams that force us to open up or get throttled, like the rangers or senators, we score a lot of goals...and win the games. 4-0-1 against teams whose style force us to open up. I don't think this is true at all.

DDB's coaching style is low event, and so prevents losing badly, which is something he wants and also happens to benefit his job security.

And Toronto's defense is freaking awful. Hunwick and Polak are worse than our current third pair. I'm not sure I'd trade our injured d-corps for theirs, much less with guys healthy and playing well. In our stretch-pass system, Toronto's defensemen would likely fare far worse than they do in Toronto, and I'd put money on them being worse at it than our guys are. And I'm incredibly down on our defense.

I never even attempted to argue I was okay with it. I am fairly certain I indicated I was in fact not ok with it. 

We are playing .500 hockey under Bylsma! Great, should I break out a banner and start singing in the streets? We are dead last in the east, so saying "but we have gotten .500 of the points possible" is so worthless it is like Dan Bylsma as coach of your hockey team. 

I hate saying .500 too. It's much more revealing to say:

Out of our 44 games, we've had a winning percentage above .400 exactly four times, one of those being the second game of the season, which was a win. So, since we started 1-1, we have spent three games not sporting a win percentage with a 3 in the ten's place (or tenths place depending on how you prefer to represent it)

We are 500 by playing this style. 

I never even attempted to argue I was okay with it. I am fairly certain I indicated I was in fact not ok with it. 

We are playing .500 hockey under Bylsma! Great, should I break out a banner and start singing in the streets? We are dead last in the east, so saying "but we have gotten .500 of the points possible" is so worthless it is like Dan Bylsma as coach of your hockey team. 

No.  The Sabres are not .500.  They have won 17 games and lost 27.

If we want to pretend that the definition of .500 should disregard OT and SO losses -- enjoy your 82-point, bottom 5 in the NHL team.  At least they're ".500"!

If we want to pretend that the definition of .500 should disregard OT and SO losses -- enjoy your 82-point, bottom 5 in the NHL team.  At least they're ".500"!

That ain't even .400. We aren't even .400 guys. THIS NEEDS TO BE SCREAMED FROM THE ROOFTOPS

Well, except for 2 seasons.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21883-end-of-season-press-conference-announced/page-6?do=findComment&comment=480123

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21665-gdt-jets-at-sabres-7pm-2-19-13/page-10?do=findComment&comment=447987

:oops:

I'm not going to convince anyone, but if the Sabres went 20-0-62 and went to playoffs, would you be complaining they only went .24x?

Hey Taro! Sorry you are still upset over the Germans Bombing Pearl Harbor. Not sure why but to each their own.

Unfortunately your, "oops, I got ya!" moment is a little premature. Why you might ask? Well because the two posts you referred to, which you had to bother to look up, are from 2013.  In 2013 I was fully on board the lose for a draft pick train. The reason I called your waste of time unfortunate was because you failed reading comprehension today. The post I was responding to indicated that "You can argue your OK with that because we'd get another shot at a top pick and I would defend someone right to that opinion" which unless I am much mistaken was about losing this year to get a better draft pick. If you so feel inclined please go through and look up and see if this is a stance I have taken. As far as I am aware this isn't a position I have advocated. I do not think we should lose on purpose or TANK to get a better draft pick this year... As such I just want to say to you...

I'm not going to convince anyone, but if the Sabres went 20-0-62 and went to playoffs, would you be complaining they only went .24x?

No, cause that's what it takes to make the playoffs.

We want to win more games than lose (including SO and OT win/losses) because that is what it takes to make the playoffs in today's NHL

Doesn't matter where the win % line is drawn, just as long as your're on the *making the playoffs * side.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Well, I'm willing to stipulate that any team that makes the playoffs and finishes with fewer than 20 regulation losses is exempt from criticism on the "not really .500" basis.

Separately -- Taro and Liger -- pls settle down.  We got Liger back and I'd like to savor the moment.

Yes, because it obviously means Robin Lehner still hasn't made a save in a shootout.

Hey Taro! Sorry you are still upset over the Germans Bombing Pearl Harbor. Not sure why but to each their own.

Unfortunately your, "oops, I got ya!" moment is a little premature. Why you might ask? Well because the two posts you referred to, which you had to bother to look up, are from 2013.  In 2013 I was fully on board the lose for a draft pick train. The reason I called your waste of time unfortunate was because you failed reading comprehension today. The post I was responding to indicated that "You can argue your OK with that because we'd get another shot at a top pick and I would defend someone right to that opinion" which unless I am much mistaken was about losing this year to get a better draft pick. If you so feel inclined please go through and look up and see if this is a stance I have taken. As far as I am aware this isn't a position I have advocated. I do not think we should lose on purpose or TANK to get a better draft pick this year... As such I just want to say to you...

Yes, the posts were from 2013. Didn't feel the need to drum up even older posts because at that time, you'd pointed out how you'd been an advocate for a tank for quite some time.

Had you read what you'd posted in 2013, you'd realize that you'd stated In 2013 that you'd been on the "blow this team up bandwagon last year and this year.". That puts you on board even prior to dumping Pominville. Heck, it's actually probably even prior to turning Roy into Ott.

For n's sake, this is very likely my last post on the subject.

Watching Detroit last night, especially after reading comments about Detroit shooting the buck at *goalies ear holes*, I paid particular attention to their offensive puck control.

They always have a man sitting around the net in an open area as long as the puck is in the zone. When he gets the puck it's a one time quick shot (slapper, wrist) high and to an ear hole. It resulted in fewer shots on goal than Buffalo, but better scoring chances. Three of those scoring chances weren't even shots, 2 pipes and a post.

A well coached team that out chanced us with a roster, that on paper, is not nearly as good as ours.

It takes three goals a night to win on a regular basis (above deluca .500). We don't have a coaching staff that gives us the best chance to achieve this on a regular basis.

I'm not necessarily the biggest DDB fan on the planet but to lay the blame of everything that is wrong with the Sabres on his shoulders, I think is very unfair.

He wasn't around or responsible for the tank years/ 2 of the most abysmal hockey seasons ever. Yes most of those players are gone but you left in ruins any sense of winning tradition within the team. This team needs to learn how to win.

Injuries have played a part in this also. Tonight for example we will be without our entire LHD lineup from the projected start of the year. DDB's job is to instill a system and I still haven't seen anyone here really explain what he's trying to setup AND to win every game possible. If that means playing a style that is not what he or us want, well that's the way it is.

The wanting to play a style similar to Pittsburgh, Toronto, Edmonton etc... is not going to happen. If you want to put blame on that, throw that issue with GMTM because that is not the team he is building even if we were healthy. #1-#2-#3 we don't have Crosby-McDavid or Matthews/Marner in the lineup. #4 When GMTM took over he gave the impression that the LA Kings/A.Ducks were the teams he wanted to emulate where the Kane-Bogosian-ROR-Okposo additions came from. You can have an opinion on whether or not these were all good additions or not but they don't speak, McDavid-Gaudreau-Mackinnon speed/style of players. We are not that type of team. 

2 of our top 4 players are not defensively responsible. Jack and Samson do some incredible things on the ice but they are as easy to play against in that teams just skate through them as fast as they also enter the zone. Jack is also not 100% this year and most likely will not be this entire year. A high ankle sprain was/is one of the hardest to overcome for all pro players and to be honest it's pretty incredible that he's come back this far. We won't see the real Jack until next year. 

As much as I like E.Kane, gives 100% and is one of the few Sabres that are truly hard to play against, he is probably the only player on the team that we would be willing to give up that could potentially get us something of value in return. Risto-Jack-Samson-ROR and Okposo aren't going anywhere. No-one else will get us back anything that would be much of an improvement for the team. I'm in the keep DDB camp until at least this time next year.

Edited by jsb

Yes, the posts were from 2013. Didn't feel the need to drum up even older posts because at that time, you'd pointed out how you'd been an advocate for a tank for quite some time.

Had you read what you'd posted in 2013, you'd realize that you'd stated In 2013 that you'd been on the "blow this team up bandwagon last year and this year.". That puts you on board even prior to dumping Pominville. Heck, it's actually probably even prior to turning Roy into Ott.

For n's sake, this is very likely my last post on the subject.

We aren't talking about 2013 and the tank we are talking about 2017 and tanking the remainder of this year (2017). That was what I was responding too. That was the conversation. I am not even arguing with you about what I said in 2013. I wanted to tank in 2013.  I am glad we did because this team would be in more trouble without Jack and Sam.  Did you read? I legit want to know if you actually read my response? It doesn't seem you could be bothered because if you had bothered you would have noticed that again we were talking and referring to tanking this season (2017) which is something I have never argued for as far as I remember.

Let me say it again, we were talking about tanking this season. This season 2016/17. This season tanking this season. 

You know what, I'm going back on vacation from here. There you are Taro you get your wish. I'm out. 

Oh and the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor although in Bestsy Devos' America why not make it the flying spaghetti monster with the backing of Hillary and Obama, Praise Jebus. - Liger the out.

Hi, 

Let's discuss Bylsma because the fact not everyone sees his awfulness is mind boggling. It reminds me of someone else that people did not see as awful in time... now who was that, can't remember... damn that was going to be my trump card. 

Anyways, Bylsma... We all know that Tim Murray did very little to bolster our defense in the offseason. That is readily apparent from the complete lack of any real addition. Now you have 2 options as a coach when your defense is mediocre. Option A, you can play a very defensive style of hockey in order to cover you defensive woes. This means you are more concerned with your end of the ice and making sure you don't give up odd man rushes and great opportunities. The side effect is that the team will most likely play more in the defensive zone which isn't good if your defense isn't, well good.

Option 2, recognizing your team is absolute crap in their own end you tell them to play offensive hockey. Why would you do this? It would mean more odd man rushes and potentially more goals against. In this model your defense is asked to play defense for less time although perhaps in more high chance situation. The upside is that your offense is allowed to actually create offense.  

Bylsma has gone with choice 1 and it hasn't work. It didn't work in Pittsburgh and it won't work here. Defense first hockey with the team Buffalo has assembled is absolute stupidity in motion. Your defense sucks so lets play defense more in games because that limits chances even though you are doubling your chances. Further lets make our defense solely responsible for starting the rush even though they aren't good at it. Let's have one forward dump the puck into the corner and then go after it while the other two guys sit on the wall and hope the puck pops free. Puck support? We don't do that in any zone. 3 defenders trying to get the puck, send in 1 forward and then everyone else clear the zone. You gotta back off and be ready on defense obviously. (sarcasm)

What is my point? Bylsma's system is not designed for any of Buffalo's strengths. He openly admitted to telling the team to play more defensive hockey without Eichel in the lineup like a coward. He has blamed injuries. Finally he has lost Jack Eichel or I haven't been watching lately. Jack is not playing the system anymore accept on the pp. All of this has added up to a terrible season full of excuses and Bylsma floundering. This team when it ignores the system and unleashes itself is electric and then Bylsma yells at them between periods and they lose. He is awful and everything that was said about him in Pittsburgh is true here. He relies solely on his star to do everything and everyone else needs to play defense because what if the other team scores on us! 

The only reason Bylsma is still a coach in Buffalo is either 1 of two things. First Tim Murray is also an idiot who thinks this is the way to win. Second Tim Murray didn't hire Bylsma who oddly enough has been described as a man of "faith" by the owners who oddly enough also just hired another man of "faith" to run their other team.  Interesting too that Bylsma was a big name because 8 years ago he won a cup. If you don't see the pattern than you aren't looking. 

Further, for those looking at Rochester and being like AHHHHH!!!!! Well you should be. They brought up Rochester's coach last season to learn the new system and it is failing in Rochester too. Nylander leads the WJC in scoring and then comes back to Rochester and suddenly isn't good? I don't buy it. It is the same crap system that lacks puck support. Further Rochester should be bad because they don't have all of their reinforcements yet. Guys like Borgen and Fitzgerald or Asplund and Pu or Estephan.  Those players need to be in Rochester before we should see a dramatic improvement there.

Basically we are 2 years away still from where I sit unless a coaching change occurs and the team is allowed to play hockey with the energy and ability they surely possess. Kane, Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Ennis, Okposo are easily good enough to anchor the top 3 lines on really most NHL teams and the fact they are failing here comes to do a system designed by a bad NHL player to counter the NHL of the early 2000's. Welcome to Pegulaville, population Mediocrity and Suffering. 

Liger out.

Awesome post.  I'm good with getting rid of him if that's what Tim Murray feels like doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Byslma's deal in total is for 5 years. Does anyone really want this guy for 5 freaking years? How the hell did Murray / Pegula convince themselves that this was a good contract?

As long as doesn't count against the cap, I don't care as long as they doesn't stop them from firing him when the time is right. (or not, if it isn't)

Yes, because it obviously means Robin Lehner still hasn't made a save in a shootout.

Don't care, no shootouts in the playoffs. :)

As long as doesn't count against the cap, I don't care as long as they doesn't stop them from firing him when the time is right. (or not, if it isn't)

Two concerns: how much money is Terry expected to drop on coaches who aren't coaching anymore? When does the gravy train end and you're forced to live with a coach? And given the criticism Terry took for the Bills being "dysfunctional," would he give his OK to fire Bylsma any time soon? We'll never know if that comes into play, but I hope Murray has the freedom to pull the trigger.

Two concerns: how much money is Terry expected to drop on coaches who aren't coaching anymore? When does the gravy train end and you're forced to live with a coach? And given the criticism Terry took for the Bills being "dysfunctional," would he give his OK to fire Bylsma any time soon? We'll never know if that comes into play, but I hope Murray has the freedom to pull the trigger.

I really think between injuries, the term, and with how bad Rex and the Bills looked, Byslma will get another shot

I really doubt Murray even has that kind of authority. Personally I doubt it due to the flat management structure and the corporate culture that nobody has a monopoly on intelligence or whatever drivel has been said by Pegula and company in the past. I don't think there's any way in hell Murray can just shitcan the guy without Terry and Co. giving their blessing, signing off on it, or whatever vernacular you want to use.