Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Totally disagree. Every day Bylsma is coach is, at best, a wasted day of development for the team.

Would you agree that for Murray to fire Bylsma now, or even any time soon, there has be some sort of disconnect between the two? Either Murray didn't really want him or Murray didn't think this was the style of hockey Bylsma coaches or Murray thinks Bylsma has suddenly lost the ability to coach.

Short of any of that, why is Murray going to pull the trigger?

Would you agree that for Murray to fire Bylsma now, or even any time soon, there has be some sort of disconnect between the two? Either Murray didn't really want him or Murray didn't think this was the style of hockey Bylsma coaches or Murray thinks Bylsma has suddenly lost the ability to coach.

No need to limit it to your 3 choices.

It is entirely possible that the Bylsma hire was on Pegula, or at least heavily influenced by Pegula.

GMTM may simply realize the team is not progressing in a manner he likes under Bylsma and realize it is time to move on.

I can't imagine Bylsma being the coach of this team for Game 1 of next season.

The only issue is when he goes.  The exact timing of that is not important.  This season is lost anyway, and has been lost for quite some time.

Look like Mr. Zero Given is living up to his moniker. He seems to give zero about putting a winning product on the ice.

I'd be in favor of Pegula showing them both the door but that would probably just lead to Russ Brandon picking the next coach and GM (likely in that order too rather than letting the new GM pick the coach the way most well run organizations do it).

Edited by Drunkard

Our forwards are good. Flat out good.

Too bad they're completely wasted.

They're good but one dimensional. They lack any kind of speed. We don't have too many players who can score on the rush.

Lehner trade officially a bust could have drafted a D with that pick and kept Chad. . Murray's genius shows through.

And drafted who? The only d-men drafted in the first round after pick 21- Jacob Larsson, Gabriel Carlsson or Noah Juulsen. None of those three are in the NHL right now so they wouldn't have helped, and if we did draft one of those, maybe we wouldn't have drafted Brandon Guhle in the second round?

Also, there was a lot of buzz of drafting goalie Ilya Samsonov going into the draft, i wonder if the Sabres had picked him if they were not able to work out a deal for a goalie?

I'm not going to go back and find it, but didn't Bylsma say he'd spent his year off studying the game, what other teams were doing, and thought he could introduce some new strategies to the game?  I think he had an okay (not great) pedigree as a head coach, but tried to sell himself as an innvator that would show things no other coach was doing.  And GMTM bought it.

They're good but one dimensional. They lack any kind of speed. We don't have too many players who can score on the rush.

And drafted who? The only d-men drafted in the first round after pick 21- Jacob Larsson, Gabriel Carlsson or Noah Juulsen. None of those three are in the NHL right now so they wouldn't have helped, and if we did draft one of those, maybe we wouldn't have drafted Brandon Guhle in the second round?

Also, there was a lot of buzz of drafting goalie Ilya Samsonov going into the draft, i wonder if the Sabres had picked him if they were not able to work out a deal for a goalie?

Jacob Larsson has already played in the NHL this season and if he was in our organization, he'd almost definitely be with the Sabres.  He might even be our no.1 prospect right now.  Carlsson and Juulsen are good prospects that could help next year.  In the 2nd round, but before the Sabres got Guhle, the Bruins picked up Brandon Carlo who is already 46 games into his career as an NHL defenseman.

But we don't have to limit it to defensemen.  Forwards taken from pick 21 to 51 (when the Sabres picked again and got Guhle) that have already played in the NHL include: Konecny (!), Beauvillier, Aho, and Sprong.  Bowser, White, Roslovic, and Greenway haven't played in the NHL yet but they're great prospects too.

The 2015 draft was stacked.  We should have been trying to have MORE picks there versus less.  Instead, Murray (supposedly this great draft scout) trades picks away in multiple deals and, in the case of the 21st pick, for a goalie that is *at best* a marginal upgrade over some combination of Chad Johnson/Nilsson/Ullmark.  

The Leafs rebuild zoomed by ours because they're smart and we're stupid.  It's not just coaching.

Jacob Larsson has already played in the NHL this season and if he was in our organization, he'd almost definitely be with the Sabres. He might even be our no.1 prospect right now. Carlsson and Juulsen are good prospects that could help next year. In the 2nd round, but before the Sabres got Guhle, the Bruins picked up Brandon Carlo who is already 46 games into his career as an NHL defenseman.

But we don't have to limit it to defensemen. Forwards taken from pick 21 to 51 (when the Sabres picked again and got Guhle) that have already played in the NHL include: Konecny (!), Beauvillier, Aho, and Sprong. Bowser, White, Roslovic, and Greenway haven't played in the NHL yet but they're great prospects too.

The 2015 draft was stacked. We should have been trying to have MORE picks there versus less. Instead, Murray (supposedly this great draft scout) trades picks away in multiple deals and, in the case of the 21st pick, for a goalie that is *at best* a marginal upgrade over some combination of Chad Johnson/Nilsson/Ullmark.

The Leafs rebuild zoomed by ours because they're smart and we're stupid. It's not just coaching.

They also won their tank year lottery, and had pieces in place before they decided to tank, nor were they totally stripped to the bones to out-tank other teams. Rielly, Kadri, and Nylander were all there before their tank season via naturally sucking as a team, and JVR was also in place. We had...Moulson and Ennis. Oh and Risto, so there's that.

But really, they zoomed past us because they got Babcock and Matthews, and we got Bylsma and Eichel. And I don't mean that as a slight on Eichel.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

They also won their tank year lottery, and had pieces in place before they decided to tank, nor were they totally stripped to the bones to out-tank other teams. Rielly, Kadri, and Nylander were all there before their tank season via naturally sucking as a team, and JVR was also in place. We had...Moulson and Ennis. Oh and Risto, so there's that.

But really, they zoomed past us because they got Babcock and Matthews, and we got Bylsma and Eichel. And I don't mean that as a slight on Eichel.

The only parts of the Tank that worked were the ones Darcy worked on.  He made us a 30th place team and amassed a lot of picks and prospects on the way.

Murray managed to keep us at 30th place (yippee) and his trades haven't accelerated our turnaround at all.  I'm pretty sure we could have made it from 30th to 27th just by adding Eichel.  Murray is a failure.

The only parts of the Tank that worked were the ones Darcy worked on. He made us a 30th place team and amassed a lot of picks and prospects on the way.

Murray managed to keep us at 30th place (yippee) and his trades haven't accelerated our turnaround at all. I'm pretty sure we could have made it from 30th to 27th just by adding Eichel. Murray is a failure.

Well, I think there are perfectly legitimate things to criticize Murray for (particularly this offseason), but I think declaring him a failure at this point is jumping the gun. This was only his second offseason where the mission was to get better. I also don't think it's crazy to want to see some of the assembled pieces with a different coach before evicting Murray. Edited by TrueBlueGED

I don't think it necessarily has to follow that they aren't on the same page (could just be Murray thinks he has lost the team, or that the execution is flaws even if there is fundamental agreement on the approach), though I think it's certainly possible, maybe even likely. I don't think Bylsma is using the roster he has properly, and Murray may agree. But even if he agrees, his goal could still be to continue to massage the roster until it does fit what Bylsma wants to do, in which case I doubt a firing occurs.

Edit: I happen to think there's a disconnect, and Bylsma sold Murray a false bill of goods while interviewing. Bylsma, on many occasions, says the right things...but then just fails miserably to translate those thoughts/words into actuality.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Well, I think there are perfectly legitimate things to criticize Murray for (particularly this offseason), but I think declaring him a failure at this point is jumping the gun. This was only his second offseason where the mission was to get better. I also don't think it's crazy to want to see some of the assembled pieces with a different coach before evicting Murray.

GMTM could also have his cake and eat too.

Get another high round draft pick this year thanks to an inept coach (maybe) while getting another free year building the team.

The reason I say  *maybe* is, what if this year was intended?

Fitz and fuddle and bumble players together, add a ridicules dump and chase scheme that is the polar opposite to this teams strengths, and wind up at the bottom of the standings?

Intended or not?

I'm almost positive GMTM didn't envision this season going as it has, but if there is no saving it, why hire a good coach to have a push to 9th?

Leave the season ride out and reap the rewards of being a seller at the trade deadline and get a high(er) draft pick.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Get another high round draft pick this year thanks to an inept coach (maybe) while getting another free year building the team.

The reason I say *maybe* is, what if this year was intended?

Fitz and fuddle and bumble players together, add a ridicules dump and chase scheme that is the polar opposite to this teams strengths, and wind up at the bottom of the standings?

Intended or not?

I'm almost positive GMTM didn't envision this season going as it has, but if there is no saving it, why hire a good coach to have a push to 9th?

Leave the season ride out and reap the rewards of being a seller at the trade deadline and get a high(er) draft pick.

There is no way in the world anyone will convince me this season was intended. Murray himself talked about competing for the playoffs this offseason, for the first time since he was hired.

As to re-evaluating at this point and trying to maximize the returns of what is a lost season, though it's not out of the question, I don't think that's the reason he's keeping Bylsma on, at least I hope not. Screwing with the development of our best players is not an acceptable consequence of drafting 1-2 slots higher.

There is no way in the world anyone will convince me this season was intended. Murray himself talked about competing for the playoffs this offseason, for the first time since he was hired.

As to re-evaluating at this point and trying to maximize the returns of what is a lost season, though it's not out of the question, I don't think that's the reason he's keeping Bylsma on, at least I hope not. Screwing with the development of our best players is not an acceptable consequence of drafting 1-2 slots higher.

I agree, GMTM didn't see this coming.

But if he is patient, he gets a new coach of his choosing and 1-2 slots higher in the draft. 

I still believe the coaching change will come during the A.S. break with Uncle Terry taking over. Then a GM hired coach , with a Pegula blessing will happen over the summer.

I still believe that Dan is a great practice coach. Drills the fundamentals and relates to the players very well. But his inability to implement a game plan based on player strengths is just mind boggling, and being used by TM to his advantage.

It's my tin foil hat theory and I'm sticking to it. :nana:

The reason I say  *maybe* is, what if this year was intended?

Intended or not?

F this.  F giving him another "free year."  He's had two free years already.

He came into basically the dream scenario for a GM.  The team is 30th and your owner literally wants you to keep it 30th for another season.  Plus you're adding two second-overall draft picks to a system that already has a ton of prospects and picks to use to turn the team around.

He inherits the perfect situation and the best he can do is get us from 30th to 27th?  Jack Eichel could have done that himself.  We're low on assets that other teams would want in a trade and now we're saddled with horrible contracts for guys like Moulson and Bogosian.  

Most of this board could have done a better job turning the team around than Tim Murray.

Blaming the injuries. Listen to his interview on WGR this week...I didn't get even the slightest indication he's displeased with Bylsma.

This is very disappointing to me. I never like the injuries excuse, because, especially with this team seemingly, it's something that's going to have to be dealt with every year. If they are waiting for a season with no injuries to key players, they could be waiting a long time.

This is very disappointing to me. I never like the injuries excuse, because, especially with this team seemingly, it's something that's going to have to be dealt with every year. If they are waiting for a season with no injuries to key players, they could be waiting a long time.

Pretty much. Also intrinsic to the injury argument is the notion that we simply can't evaluate Bylsma because of them. I vehemently disagree with that.

Pretty much. Also intrinsic to the injury argument is the notion that we simply can't evaluate Bylsma because of them. I vehemently disagree with that.

yup. That and every team goes through injury woes. Some just have more depth to deal with it. 

No point I firing at this point, season is over....might as well collect losses and keep young guys down in Rochester

(Speaking of Rochester)

The canary in the coal mine for the Sabres is the Amerks. As long as Rochester continues to dwell in the bottom third of the league, the Sabres will remain non-contenders. The entire Sabres system does not have enough talent. If you see the Amerks become contenders in the AHL, then you may see the Sabres becoming contenders in the NHL soon thereafter.

At the moment there are not enough top prospects in the pipeline. Who is responsible?

Has anybody seriously questioned GM Murray for trading away so many prospects for negligible returns thus far? If the "Fire Bylsma watch" is in play, what about the fire Murray watch? Just wondering.