Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Is DD playing his 90's style hockey because he doesn't have the horses on D to play a more up tempo game or is he playing his 90's style system because he is stuck in the 90's?

This question occurred to me after reading Harrington's columns recent talking about DD's antiquated system.  At first blush I agreed with him, but then the more I thought about the team the more I wondered if the problem was that DD couldn't let the forwards play up tempo because he has pillars named Gorges, Falk, and Franson on D to go with the injured and ineffective Kulikov and the hockey IQ-less Bogo.  Again, hard to score if you don't possess the puck.  Hard also to play up tempo when you can't even get out of your zone.  

I don't think this is a system issue, but a roster construction one.  When in Pitt, DD let Goligoski, Letang, and Gonchar skate and play up tempo.  I think he'd do the same here if he had the players. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Is DD playing his 90's style hockey because he doesn't have the horses on D to play a more up tempo game or is he playing his 90's style system because he is stuck in the 90's?

This question occurred to me after reading Harrington's columns recent talking about DD's antiquated system.  At first plush I agreed with him, but then the more I thought about the team the more I wondered if the problem was that DD couldn't let the forwards play up tempo because he has pillars named Gorges, Falk, and Franson on D to go with the injured and ineffective Kulikov and the hockey IQ-less Bogo.  Again, hard to score if you don't possess the puck.  Hard also to play up tempo when you can't even get our of your zone.  

I don't think this is a system issue, but a roster construction one.  When in Pitt, DD let Goligoski, Letang, and Gonchar skate and play up tempo.  I think he'd do the same here if he had the players. 

I've actually been thinking about this lately as well. People have been complaining about our D not being activated all season, but we see Risto and Mcabe, the only two right now that I would want activated, up ice all the time. Kuli was doing it before he got hurt as well.

I've actually been thinking about this lately as well. People have been complaining about our D not being activated all season, but we see Risto and Mcabe, the only two right now that I would want activated, up ice all the time. Kuli was doing it before he got hurt as well.

The only activating our defensemen do is the Eich rush, or a trip down the boards to circle around and try to get a puck into the slot from down low. The rushes that Risto and McCabe do are fun but meet similar problems to when the forwards do it - without the puck support, they end up having to just dump or fire a crappy shot on net.

They never leave their points when they don't have the puck to hit or create seams, they never creep down the weak side the way a guy like Letang does so often. In fact, the last time McCabe did that, he scored a goal. 

Their only real offense comes in the form of hail mary, back foot shots from the point that usually hit shin pads but can create a rebound on occasion. Or a McCabe BLAAAAAST high and wide.

Now, the lack of in-zone offensive play from the defensemen may have a lot of explanations that go beyond Dan Bylsma. Ours are certainly not the most hockey-smart, and since we play such a "safe" game, they may not trust themselves? Because I have a hard time believing that Dan specifically tells them not to do something interesting to manipulate space or to creep down the weak side. And like I mentioned, McCabe HAS done that before, with Dan coaching. And my example of Letang also played for Dan. 

Unrelated, but if we get lucky in the lottery and take Hischier I'm going to be furious again that we didn't do the Nylander pick for Fowler deal last year :P

And quite frankly, our defensemen are barely successful at just keeping the puck in the zone when it comes to them on the point, forget about with clear possession.

Unrelated, but if we get lucky in the lottery and take Hischier I'm going to be furious again that we didn't do the Nylander pick for Fowler deal last year :P

Eeeehhhhhh.

O'Reilly-Okposo

Eichel-Nylander

Reinhart-Hischier

That's a heck of a forward spine to run with. Sure the blue line would still be a mess, but potential for fun: very very high!

Eeeehhhhhh.

O'Reilly-Okposo

Eichel-Nylander

Reinhart-Hischier

That's a heck of a forward spine to run with. Sure the blue line would still be a mess, but potential for fun: very very high!

...at what point do you consider trading forward depth, especially when it's that skilled, to fix that messy defense?? Two more top ten picks? Seven? :P

Edited by Randall Flagg

At any time. I'm just not sure Fowler is the guy I'd do it for, especially since the deal was probably more than just the Nylander pick.

Well we ain't getting a guy I think you'd do it for with stuff any of us would be willing to give up IMO.

I think that was our shot at a very good top 4 defenseman coming into the organization without gutting us or waiting for a guy like Guhle.

Well we ain't getting a guy I think you'd do it for with stuff any of us would be willing to give up IMO.

I think that was our shot at a very good top 4 defenseman coming into the organization without gutting us or waiting for a guy like Guhle.

Maybe, but not necessarily. Have to be smarter than other teams. Guys like Stralman and Daley do move, just gave to a) have a GM who recognizes their value and b) a coach who can utilize what they do well. Obviously Stralman is much better than Daley, but you get my point.

Maybe, but not necessarily. Have to be smarter than other teams. Guys like Stralman and Daley do move, just gave to a) have a GM who recognizes their value and b) a coach who can utilize what they do well. Obviously Stralman is much better than Daley, but you get my point.

I couldn't believe it when the Rangers didn't re-sign Stralman. 

From today's BN, speaking about his groin: “It’s a complex area. There’s a lot going on down there,” Ennis said. “Optimistically I wanted to play every game here on out but you know, like I said it’s complex down there."

Not related to firing Bylsma but a noteworthy quote nonetheless. 

Edited by Sakman

Eeeehhhhhh.

O'Reilly-Okposo

Eichel-Nylander

Reinhart-Hischier

"We'll see about that." - Dan Bylsma, probably

From today's BN, speaking about his groin: “It’s a complex area. There’s a lot going on down there,” Ennis said. “Optimistically I wanted to play every game here on out but you know, like I said it’s complex down there."

Not related to firing Bylsma but a noteworthy quote nonetheless.

"There's a lot going on down there."

I laughed.

From today's BN, speaking about his groin: “It’s a complex area. There’s a lot going on down there,” Ennis said. “Optimistically I wanted to play every game here on out but you know, like I said it’s complex down there."[/size]

Not related to firing Bylsma but a noteworthy quote nonetheless. [/size]

He's been rehabbing with Caitlin Jenner has he now? :/

Hi, 

Let's discuss Bylsma because the fact not everyone sees his awfulness is mind boggling. It reminds me of someone else that people did not see as awful in time... now who was that, can't remember... damn that was going to be my trump card. 

Anyways, Bylsma... We all know that Tim Murray did very little to bolster our defense in the offseason. That is readily apparent from the complete lack of any real addition. Now you have 2 options as a coach when your defense is mediocre. Option A, you can play a very defensive style of hockey in order to cover you defensive woes. This means you are more concerned with your end of the ice and making sure you don't give up odd man rushes and great opportunities. The side effect is that the team will most likely play more in the defensive zone which isn't good if your defense isn't, well good.

Option 2, recognizing your team is absolute crap in their own end you tell them to play offensive hockey. Why would you do this? It would mean more odd man rushes and potentially more goals against. In this model your defense is asked to play defense for less time although perhaps in more high chance situation. The upside is that your offense is allowed to actually create offense.  

Bylsma has gone with choice 1 and it hasn't work. It didn't work in Pittsburgh and it won't work here. Defense first hockey with the team Buffalo has assembled is absolute stupidity in motion. Your defense sucks so lets play defense more in games because that limits chances even though you are doubling your chances. Further lets make our defense solely responsible for starting the rush even though they aren't good at it. Let's have one forward dump the puck into the corner and then go after it while the other two guys sit on the wall and hope the puck pops free. Puck support? We don't do that in any zone. 3 defenders trying to get the puck, send in 1 forward and then everyone else clear the zone. You gotta back off and be ready on defense obviously. (sarcasm)

What is my point? Bylsma's system is not designed for any of Buffalo's strengths. He openly admitted to telling the team to play more defensive hockey without Eichel in the lineup like a coward. He has blamed injuries. Finally he has lost Jack Eichel or I haven't been watching lately. Jack is not playing the system anymore accept on the pp. All of this has added up to a terrible season full of excuses and Bylsma floundering. This team when it ignores the system and unleashes itself is electric and then Bylsma yells at them between periods and they lose. He is awful and everything that was said about him in Pittsburgh is true here. He relies solely on his star to do everything and everyone else needs to play defense because what if the other team scores on us! 

The only reason Bylsma is still a coach in Buffalo is either 1 of two things. First Tim Murray is also an idiot who thinks this is the way to win. Second Tim Murray didn't hire Bylsma who oddly enough has been described as a man of "faith" by the owners who oddly enough also just hired another man of "faith" to run their other team.  Interesting too that Bylsma was a big name because 8 years ago he won a cup. If you don't see the pattern than you aren't looking. 

Further, for those looking at Rochester and being like AHHHHH!!!!! Well you should be. They brought up Rochester's coach last season to learn the new system and it is failing in Rochester too. Nylander leads the WJC in scoring and then comes back to Rochester and suddenly isn't good? I don't buy it. It is the same crap system that lacks puck support. Further Rochester should be bad because they don't have all of their reinforcements yet. Guys like Borgen and Fitzgerald or Asplund and Pu or Estephan.  Those players need to be in Rochester before we should see a dramatic improvement there.

Basically we are 2 years away still from where I sit unless a coaching change occurs and the team is allowed to play hockey with the energy and ability they surely possess. Kane, Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Ennis, Okposo are easily good enough to anchor the top 3 lines on really most NHL teams and the fact they are failing here comes to do a system designed by a bad NHL player to counter the NHL of the early 2000's. Welcome to Pegulaville, population Mediocrity and Suffering. 

Liger out.

Hi, 

Let's discuss Bylsma because the fact not everyone sees his awfulness is mind boggling. It reminds me of someone else that people did not see as awful in time... now who was that, can't remember... damn that was going to be my trump card. 

Anyways, Bylsma... We all know that Tim Murray did very little to bolster our defense in the offseason. That is readily apparent from the complete lack of any real addition. Now you have 2 options as a coach when your defense is mediocre. Option A, you can play a very defensive style of hockey in order to cover you defensive woes. This means you are more concerned with your end of the ice and making sure you don't give up odd man rushes and great opportunities. The side effect is that the team will most likely play more in the defensive zone which isn't good if your defense isn't, well good.

Option 2, recognizing your team is absolute crap in their own end you tell them to play offensive hockey. Why would you do this? It would mean more odd man rushes and potentially more goals against. In this model your defense is asked to play defense for less time although perhaps in more high chance situation. The upside is that your offense is allowed to actually create offense.  

Bylsma has gone with choice 1 and it hasn't work. It didn't work in Pittsburgh and it won't work here. Defense first hockey with the team Buffalo has assembled is absolute stupidity in motion. Your defense sucks so lets play defense more in games because that limits chances even though you are doubling your chances. Further lets make our defense solely responsible for starting the rush even though they aren't good at it. Let's have one forward dump the puck into the corner and then go after it while the other two guys sit on the wall and hope the puck pops free. Puck support? We don't do that in any zone. 3 defenders trying to get the puck, send in 1 forward and then everyone else clear the zone. You gotta back off and be ready on defense obviously. (sarcasm)

What is my point? Bylsma's system is not designed for any of Buffalo's strengths. He openly admitted to telling the team to play more defensive hockey without Eichel in the lineup like a coward. He has blamed injuries. Finally he has lost Jack Eichel or I haven't been watching lately. Jack is not playing the system anymore accept on the pp. All of this has added up to a terrible season full of excuses and Bylsma floundering. This team when it ignores the system and unleashes itself is electric and then Bylsma yells at them between periods and they lose. He is awful and everything that was said about him in Pittsburgh is true here. He relies solely on his star to do everything and everyone else needs to play defense because what if the other team scores on us! 

The only reason Bylsma is still a coach in Buffalo is either 1 of two things. First Tim Murray is also an idiot who thinks this is the way to win. Second Tim Murray didn't hire Bylsma who oddly enough has been described as a man of "faith" by the owners who oddly enough also just hired another man of "faith" to run their other team.  Interesting too that Bylsma was a big name because 8 years ago he won a cup. If you don't see the pattern than you aren't looking. 

Further, for those looking at Rochester and being like AHHHHH!!!!! Well you should be. They brought up Rochester's coach last season to learn the new system and it is failing in Rochester too. Nylander leads the WJC in scoring and then comes back to Rochester and suddenly isn't good? I don't buy it. It is the same crap system that lacks puck support. Further Rochester should be bad because they don't have all of their reinforcements yet. Guys like Borgen and Fitzgerald or Asplund and Pu or Estephan.  Those players need to be in Rochester before we should see a dramatic improvement there.

Basically we are 2 years away still from where I sit unless a coaching change occurs and the team is allowed to play hockey with the energy and ability they surely possess. Kane, Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Ennis, Okposo are easily good enough to anchor the top 3 lines on really most NHL teams and the fact they are failing here comes to do a system designed by a bad NHL player to counter the NHL of the early 2000's. Welcome to Pegulaville, population Mediocrity and Suffering. 

Liger out.

Sigh, when you are right, you are right. That being said... i dont mind it for one more season and its needed for both a high end scorer and or high end D. After the end of this one Sabres need to bring in an offensive coach.

Bylsma was interviewed by Brian Duff this AM and Duff asked him about the recent number of high scoring games,

DD's Response was I don't know if this is the witchening hour for high scoring games over the past few days, but we will try to get it down on the lower side tonight.

Sigh

Bylsma was interviewed by Brian Duff this AM and Duff asked him about the recent number of high scoring games,

DD's Response was I don't know if this is the witchening hour for high scoring games over the past few days, but we will try to get it down on the lower side tonight.

Sigh

He must be talking about the goals against, right?

can some explain what DD is supposed to do with this group?  If he plays up tempo, he has a slow D beyond the top 2 and a goalie named Lehner who can't stop a breakaway or odd man rush.  How would you coach the team? It's easy to criticize DD, but I wish someone would say how they would do it better and try to win games.

I'd like to see more up tempo games.  They would certainly be more entertaining, but we'd lose the majority of the them.  Coaches are hired to win games.  DD looks at his roster and understands that to win he must play a more NJ style game.  Maybe if GMTM gets him some real D then he can unleash the forwards.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

can some explain what DD is supposed to do with this group?  If he plays up tempo, he has a slow D beyond the top 2 and a goalie named Lehner who can't stop a breakaway or odd man rush.  How would you coach the team? It's easy to criticize DD, but I wish someone would say how they would do it better and try to win games.

I'd like to see more up tempo games.  They would certainly be more entertaining, but we'd lose the majority of the them.  Coaches are hired to win games.  DD looks at his roster and understands that to win he must play a more NJ style game.  Maybe if GMTM gets him some real D then he can unleash the forwards.

Toronto seems to have a tire-fire D and GT situation, but they play up-tempo and there are lots of goals. How different is Buffalo's D from Toronto's?

The fan base is already disappointed. Unleash the youth forwards for the rest of the season. Bring up Baptiste, Bailey and Fasching. Send down Des, Cal and Falk.

Let the dogs loose, let's see what we have collectively.

We are dead last in the eastern conference and you have the gall to argue that he understands how to win games? If playing a NJD style helped us win games than we would be winning games, but we lose and lose and lose. We lose because we don't score enough. How many 1 goal games do we have? How many 2 goal games? How many goals do you need to win an NHL game on average, what's that lassie? Timmy said you need on average 3 goals a game to win!?  

You can defend him, that is your right but trying to use the defense of "he understands that to win he must play a more NJ style" is laughable when we are 16th in the east with a whopping 17 wins this season. Survey says Bylsma doesn't know s#!t. 

Edited by LGR4GM