Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Bylsma - it's difficult to generate offense in NJ. Hard to establish a forecheck with Schneider playing the puck so much #Sabres

Zack ‏@zts1986  7m

@WGR550 they have 31 losses and one of the worst goal differentials in the league.

0 replies0 retweets1 like
Repl

Welp, I'm on the hype train, boys. Those tweets put me over the top. Bring me Claude Julien and lets gooo.

Edited by sabills

We were just outshot 39-23 against the New Jersey Devils.  Enough is enough already.  We lost by a goal so whatever but to be outshot by that margin against a fringe team is unacceptable. 

What's even worse - the awful Devils SWEPT the 3 game season series against the Sabres.    Devils are a bottom shelf team - if Murray really had a 'fast rebuild' wouldn't one expect at least a win in 3 games against a bottom 5 team?   Plus, Sabres have lost  6 in a row against Boston under Bylsma.  

I can't recall - was it Rob Ray or  Duff last night blathering about how Bylsma had the team really 'fired up' in the pre game, and expect them to come out hot?  23 total shots on goal is hardly 'on fire'.    Vintage Dreary Dan. 

That quote is full on Dick Jauron "Its hard to win games in the NFL". ALL THE OTHER TEAMS SEEM TO BE DOING IT DICK/DAN.

When the players start saying it is when I start wanting to break things. And I've listened to enough interviews this year. The "winning is hard" line has caught on in the Sabres locker room. I've heard O'Reilly say it. I've heard Jack say it. 

No. No No No No No. 

We know winning is hard. We know that they know that winning is hard. We don't need to be saying it. It shouldn't be a talking point. It shouldn't be in the lexicon of "team speak". 

It's important that players, coaches, etc, carry themselves a certain way. We expect that in a lot of jobs. No one would want me to show up and to a job interview and be all "well, life is hard". 

Bylsma makes too many excuses that elevate our opponents. It's never "well, we did this bad". It's always "well, the other guys do this thing really good and we couldn't stop em". 

Wahhhhh Dan, Wahhhhhh. 

Loser. 

Unfortunately I don't think DB gets fired this year. Partly because of Rex Ryan. And partly because expectations for the Sabres were much lower than the Bills. We are tracking for around 81 points, same as last year. So one could argue the Sabres are no worse, and can claim Jack's preseason injury set them back.

I'm afraid we all need to come to grips with a sell off at the deadline and hopes for some lottery luck.

As for season ticket sales, I do think the Sabres are worried. I got a survey recently trying to measure my temperature on the team and asking "what factors will determine my renewal." StubHub prices are still at mid-tank levels. (Actually they are that bad throughout most of the NHL right now, but that's another story.)

Bylsma isn't wrong that when you play against teams that push the interference/holding defense to its limit, and combine it with a good goalie that can handle the puck, and refs that are in line with what NJ is doing, you're going to have a tough time getting things going. 

The optics of him saying it, and the regularity with which his statements come off as Jauron-esque, are not good, but stuff like that isn't what gets me going against coaches. Same thing with line combos. Almost any coach we hire is going to have some ###### line ideas he hangs onto for too long, or good ones that never stay together. Every coach is going to say things in interviews that bug me. 

It's all the other stuff. I've made posts about puck support. I don't even care about dumping and stretch passes anymore. You absolutely can stretch pass when it isn't your only transition option. You can dump when teams stack the blue line, and it can be effective. Montreal saw that we were giving them the line and pushed it with stretch passes. But they had other puck support options and were unpredictable in transition. If they had only evacuated the zone for the stretch, the forwards all spread out, it would have been an easy task for us to squeeze out and press the guy it's going to and to get the puck and take it the other way when he chips it in. We so rarely use the support to create space and back guys off that teams can be confident in squeezing us out. And the thing that's damning about Bylsma in all of this is that he can't adjust.

In Tampa, we saw Bishop totally neutralizing our dumps, and we spent three periods with no adjustment, giving it to him over and over and over again, and he consistently took them and sprung his team. The most obvious instance was when Tampa was changing, and I think it was ROR who decided to flip it in and three forwards went nuts after it, and Bishop hit a guy in stride and created an odd man rush that Tampa scored on before our forwards had even made it back into the neutral zone. And this was after 2.5 periods of seeing the same thing happen over and over again. 

Same thing in NJ last night - holding and interference can totally neutralize a stretch system to players at a stand-still, and defensive zone interference can kill forechecks for loose pucks. Their downfall is short passing full-team transitions, but that isn't something we do, so we generate fewer than 25 shots against a team with one of the worst goal differentials in hockey. 

Dan's go-to adjustment has nothing to do with strategy, it's simply a line change, and more often than not the change involves putting Moulson with ROR and KO. That'll get 'em. 

I also think that the teams we play well and poorly against indicate a strict system with little adjustment. We have been swept, or are in the process of being swept by, six eastern conference teams. Then there are teams like the Rangers and Senators and Oilers that we've beaten nearly every time we've played them. It's bizarre that it happens this way, especially when plenty of the swept-teams aren't that good and are behind the teams we're doing very well against. I think a lot of it is stylistic. Our system is picked apart by Carolina and Boston, and snuffed by NJ. Rangers and Ottawa open us up but can't handle the counterattack we give them because they leave bad defenses out to dry. How predictable the losses and wins are speak to our system's strengths and weaknesses, but also to the fact that we never strategically adjust to what our opponents are doing. And while it's great when we can reliably pick Ottawa apart, we only end up facing teams that we match up well against 40% of the time, and so our record is ugly as ######.

We don't possess the puck consistently and never, ever will playing the style of hockey we play in today's NHL.

So our hot stretch to the playoffs now that we're finally healthy: 8-6-2. Scathing. .500. No improvement on winning percentage. Awesome. Go team.

Ristolainen has spent the past two months playing almost a full minute more than the next-most-played player. He's cooked. See you in October, buddy. He hasn't been nearly the same since we gave him 35 minutes in the first night of a back-to-back, followed by over 30 again less than 24 hours later. 

ROR has been nursing something all year and is also getting murdered with usage. Both of these guys are shells of themselves by game 50, even though the guy in charge of that said he really shouldn't do it again this year. 

I can't wait to watch them be awesome again in 8 months, for the first half of the season next year too. 

Oh, and in Carrier's best game of the year, against NYR, he got like 6 minutes of ice time. The guy was dominating possession. He should be in Foligno's spot. Ennis is playing no better than D-Lo right now and got double that time.

With Bylsma, there's a little bit of 'nice' (how we play against teams with bad defenses, we rarely get blown out), a lot of 'ugh' (an inability to generate consistent possession, and thus playing consistently losing hockey) and some 'dear god this guy needs to leave before he ruins things' (wtf is he doing to Risto's development curve playing him like this, same with ROR who will definitely be on the surgery table as soon as the season ends, rumblings that Jack is not a fan, spending their entire ELCs playing crappy hockey that will leave us with an insurmountable hill to climb to the playoffs NEXT YEAR before he finally gets fired).

Edited by Randall Flagg

Bylsma isn't wrong that when you play against teams that push the interference/holding defense to its limit, and combine it with a good goalie that can handle the puck, and refs that are in line with what NJ is doing, you're going to have a tough time getting things going. 

The optics of him saying it, and the regularity with which his statements come off as Jauron-esque, are not good, but stuff like that isn't what gets me going against coaches. Same thing with line combos. Almost any coach we hire is going to have some ###### line ideas he hangs onto for too long, or good ones that never stay together. Every coach is going to say things in interviews that bug me. 

It's all the other stuff. I've made posts about puck support. I don't even care about dumping and stretch passes anymore. You absolutely can stretch pass when it isn't your only transition option. You can dump when teams stack the blue line, and it can be effective. Montreal saw that we were giving them the line and pushed it with stretch passes. But they had other puck support options and were unpredictable in transition. If they had only evacuated the zone for the stretch, the forwards all spread out, it would have been an easy task for us to squeeze out and press the guy it's going to and to get the puck and take it the other way when he chips it in. We so rarely use the support to create space and back guys off that teams can be confident in squeezing us out. And the thing that's damning about Bylsma in all of this is that he can't adjust.

In Tampa, we saw Bishop totally neutralizing our dumps, and we spent three periods with no adjustment, giving it to him over and over and over again, and he consistently took them and sprung his team. The most obvious instance was when Tampa was changing, and I think it was ROR who decided to flip it in and three forwards went nuts after it, and Bishop hit a guy in stride and created an odd man rush that Tampa scored on before our forwards had even made it back into the neutral zone. And this was after 2.5 periods of seeing the same thing happen over and over again. 

Same thing in NJ last night - holding and interference can totally neutralize a stretch system to players at a stand-still, and defensive zone interference can kill forechecks for loose pucks. Their downfall is short passing full-team transitions, but that isn't something we do, so we generate fewer than 25 shots against a team with one of the worst goal differentials in hockey. 

Dan's go-to adjustment has nothing to do with strategy, it's simply a line change, and more often than not the change involves putting Moulson with ROR and KO. That'll get 'em. 

I also think that the teams we play well and poorly against indicate a strict system with little adjustment. We have been swept, or are in the process of being swept by, six eastern conference teams. Then there are teams like the Rangers and Senators and Oilers that we've beaten nearly every time we've played them. It's bizarre that it happens this way, especially when plenty of the swept-teams aren't that good and are behind the teams we're doing very well against. I think a lot of it is stylistic. Our system is picked apart by Carolina and Boston, and snuffed by NJ. Rangers and Ottawa open us up but can't handle the counterattack we give them because they leave bad defenses out to dry. How predictable the losses and wins are speak to our system's strengths and weaknesses, but also to the fact that we never strategically adjust to what our opponents are doing. And while it's great when we can reliably pick Ottawa apart, we only end up facing teams that we match up well against 40% of the time, and so our record is ugly as ######.

We don't possess the puck consistently and never, ever will playing the style of hockey we play in today's NHL.

So our hot stretch to the playoffs now that we're finally healthy: 8-6-2. Scathing. .500. No improvement on winning percentage. Awesome. Go team.

Ristolainen has spent the past two months playing almost a full minute more than the next-most-played player. He's cooked. See you in October, buddy. He hasn't been nearly the same since we gave him 35 minutes in the first night of a back-to-back, followed by over 30 again less than 24 hours later. 

ROR has been nursing something all year and is also getting murdered with usage. Both of these guys are shells of themselves by game 50, even though the guy in charge of that said he really shouldn't do it again this year. 

I can't wait to watch them be awesome again in 8 months, for the first half of the season next year too. 

Oh, and in Carrier's best game of the year, against NYR, he got like 6 minutes of ice time. The guy was dominating possession. He should be in Foligno's spot. Ennis is playing no better than D-Lo right now and got double that time.

With Bylsma, there's a little bit of 'nice' (how we play against teams with bad defenses, we rarely get blown out), a lot of 'ugh' (an inability to generate consistent possession, and thus playing consistently losing hockey) and some 'dear god this guy needs to leave before he ruins things' (wtf is he doing to Risto's development curve playing him like this, same with ROR who will definitely be on the surgery table as soon as the season ends, rumblings that Jack is not a fan, spending their entire ELCs playing crappy hockey that will leave us with an insurmountable hill to climb to the playoffs NEXT YEAR before he finally gets fired).

Nothing you said is wrong, IMO. Well done.

200.gif#6

Randall Flag seems to be right about Bylsma not being able to adjust.  

And, that is why Ted Nolan was a better coach.  What's worse, a system that

never adjusts, or a team without a system that allows the players to self-adjust?

I'd go with the latter.  Nolan was a better coach.  And much better to root

for and to listen to.   Bring back Nolan.  That would teach the players a lesson

or two.

I'm partly joking.  Obviously, Claude Julien would be the guy to get right now.

As for Nolan, you know the saying, "a stopped clock is right 2x a day, whereas

a slow clock is never right."   The players "self-adjusted".

Just stop abusing Risto.  A guy can only take so much ice-time.  Injuries

happen when you're overworked.  He's likely getting injured now, but he's

too young to notice it since young kids heal faster.

Dan Bylsma is a loser. How many times do we have to say it and see it? NJD are a hard team to get going against? . Puck support and speed would easily have gotten the job done. Instead we turtled because it was the game plan. Limit their chances. We were outshot by the NJD. There is absolutley no reason not fire Dan Bylsma. Jack has clearly quit on him. 

Only 2 reasons he is still here. 1) Pegula actually hired him and because I think Pegula is only half as smart as he thinks he is, we get stuck with a "man of faith" who once won a cup. Pegula is all about names and that is a major issue. Bylsma was garbage in pittsburgh and he's garbage here.

2) Tim Murray hired Bylsma and doesn't want to admit he was an idiot. Murray has developed this persona of loving his guys or his picks. William Carrier is a 3rd line guy and anyone who watches 2 shifts can see Justin Bailey is adding more to any line he is on but we get Carrier all day. I think Bylsma if he is Murrays is safe because Murray doesn't like letting his toys go. If this is the case our GM is an idiot. 

Bottom line to me is that this team is playing like a bunch of AHL'ers because they are in a system that hasn't worked in the NHL since roughly 2003. It is a joke between the awful stretch passes, to the completely non existent puck support, to the ridiculous belief that defense first will get us anywhere when our defense is . Complete and utter failure, it's like Betsy Devos as Secretary of Education, just a whole lot of dumb wrapped up into one thing. 

Randall Flag seems to be right about Bylsma not being able to adjust.  

And, that is why Ted Nolan was a better coach.  What's worse, a system that

never adjusts, or a team without a system that allows the players to self-adjust?

I'd go with the latter.  Nolan was a better coach.  And much better to root

for and to listen to.   Bring back Nolan.  That would teach the players a lesson

or two.

What u smokin' ?

Dan Bylsma is a loser. How many times do we have to say it and see it? NJD are a hard team to get going against? ######. Puck support and speed would easily have gotten the job done. Instead we turtled because it was the game plan. Limit their chances. We were outshot by the NJD. There is absolutley no reason not fire Dan Bylsma. Jack has clearly quit on him. 

Only 2 reasons he is still here. 1) Pegula actually hired him and because I think Pegula is only half as smart as he thinks he is, we get stuck with a "man of faith" who once won a cup. Pegula is all about names and that is a major issue. Bylsma was garbage in pittsburgh and he's garbage here.

2) Tim Murray hired Bylsma and doesn't want to admit he was an idiot. Murray has developed this persona of loving his guys or his picks. William Carrier is a 3rd line guy and anyone who watches 2 shifts can see Justin Bailey is adding more to any line he is on but we get Carrier all day. I think Bylsma if he is Murrays is safe because Murray doesn't like letting his toys go. If this is the case our GM is an idiot. 

Bottom line to me is that this team is playing like a bunch of AHL'ers because they are in a system that hasn't worked in the NHL since roughly 2003. It is a joke between the awful stretch passes, to the completely non existent puck support, to the ridiculous belief that defense first will get us anywhere when our defense is ######. Complete and utter failure, it's like Betsy Devos as Secretary of Education, just a whole lot of dumb wrapped up into one thing.

Dude.

Last night's game gave Bylsma at least another month in Buffalo I bet.    

Yep. 81 points in 82 games last year and now we're sitting pretty at 54 points in only 53 games. That's a projection of 83 or even 84 points if they can keep up this break neck pace. Now that's what I call progress. At this rate we'll be sniffing the playoffs when Okposo and O'Reilly are out of their primes, Kane is gone, and Eichel and Reinhart are making too much money to field quality depth in other areas of the team.