Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

I think we're in purgatory here. Dan's here for at least 12 more months. If we're sitting in this position a year from now, he's gone. I don't see it happening before then. I don't see Murray doing it and I don't see Terry pushing for it.

Is it the worst thing? In times of trouble didn't Darcy used to say something depressing like, "There's no help on the way. You guys figure it out."? (Then Lindy would say the hope tank is empty and it feels like we'll never win another game.) Good times. Well, maybe there's no help on the way right now and maybe that's OK. Is it a good precedent to set with a young team to let them off the hook by canning the coach one and a half seasons into his tenure?

I don't think it's any worse of a precedent than allowing somebody who is bad at their job to continue doing it.

If DD couldn't win with Sid, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury executing his "system" then this team is going to have no chance. Also, look at Pittsburgh last year, underachieving, fired the coach and got Sullivan. Went on to win the Cup. Coaching and the system can make all the difference.

I think we're in purgatory here. Dan's here for at least 12 more months. If we're sitting in this position a year from now, he's gone. I don't see it happening before then. I don't see Murray doing it and I don't see Terry pushing for it.

Is it the worst thing? In times of trouble didn't Darcy used to say something depressing like, "There's no help on the way. You guys figure it out."? (Then Lindy would say the hope tank is empty and it feels like we'll never win another game.) Good times. Well, maybe there's no help on the way right now and maybe that's OK. Is it a good precedent to set with a young team to let them off the hook by canning the coach one and a half seasons into his tenure?

I don't know if it's good to let the young players "off the hook" - but I'd ask, is it better for our young team to feel/play like this after the 37th game?

"I think everyone of us should be [as emotional as Eichel]. We know the situation we're in and we know how desperate we are at this point in the season to win games. We should all find that desperation, that urgency, and that anger."

I don't want my young team feeling angry, urgent and desperate at the 45% point of the season for ANY REASON.  This is another total blunder on Bylsma's part.  I wouldn't worry about letting players off the hook as much I would about them playing angry and desperate - which to me is much much much more damaging.  In addition I think he read the situation wrong, again. 

I would prefer he said - Jack is an emotional player and it's what we love about him.  We hope his fire continues to be an influence on any player that needs it.  However as a coach I want to use his fire to focus this team and continue to come together.  I'm not seeing a lack of effort, so I don't believe it's that.  We will all work tirelessly to stack more wins together or go 4 out of 6, things like that.  But that pressure should be on me, not the players. 

He better find out who/what Jack's frustrated about/at. 

I don't know if it's good to let the young players "off the hook" - but I'd ask, is it better for our young team to feel/play like this after the 37th game?

"I think everyone of us should be [as emotional as Eichel]. We know the situation we're in and we know how desperate we are at this point in the season to win games. We should all find that desperation, that urgency, and that anger."

I don't want my young team feeling angry, urgent and desperate at the 45% point of the season for ANY REASON.  This is another total blunder on Bylsma's part.  I wouldn't worry about letting players off the hook as much I would about them playing angry and desperate - which to me is much much much more damaging.  In addition I think he read the situation wrong, again. 

I would prefer he said - Jack is an emotional player and it's what we love about him.  We hope his fire continues to be an influence on any player that needs it.  However as a coach I want to use his fire to focus this team and continue to come together.  I'm not seeing a lack of effort, so I don't believe it's that.  We will all work tirelessly to stack more wins together or go 4 out of 6, things like that.  But that pressure should be on me, not the players. 

He better find out who/what Jack's frustrated about/at. 

Good post.

Good post.

It was a good post, even though I disagree with it.

I don't care what age you are. It's okay to be angry with losing. Our last win came only after DD had to fire every player up to a man on the bench. It's better to be mad before the football season is over than wait until the last two weeks of the hockey season. They at least have a chance to change something now.

PLAYOFFS!!!!

I don't care what age you are. It's okay to be angry with losing. Our last win came only after DD had to fire every player up to a man on the bench. It's better to be mad before the football season is over than wait until the last two weeks of the hockey season. They at least have a chance to change something now.

PLAYOFFS!!!!

Thanks for the compliment but I don't think my point came across like I'd hoped.  I also agree that's it's always a good thing to be angry with losing.  I just think Bylsma is missing the self awareness part.  I do not see a team that isn't giving effort - of course that's my opinion.  I just see a system not working.

Let's take your analogy of football and we're a young team.  When you're 2-5 and you average 12 points per football game - it may not be a time to say this team needs to start playing desperate and angry.  It's time to reflect as a coach on what is broken. 

You're best player is pissed.  Probably watching certain players on the Oilers and Maple Leafs raising their arms - and none too happy.  I'm not sure he's completely understanding what's brewing and it isn't, ok great my best player is pissed hope everyone else gets that way.

Now just a short time after the euphoria of the Pegulas rescuing our franchises. Now we have owners with deep pockets and willing to spend!!!!! The euphoria has become depression and many beginning to feel owners with money isn't all we thought it would be. It takes more than nice and money. I suspect these owners get too personally close to their employees.

Now just a short time after the euphoria of the Pegulas rescuing our franchises. Now we have owners with deep pockets and willing to spend!!!!! The euphoria has become depression and many beginning to feel owners with money isn't all we thought it would be. It takes more than nice and money. I suspect these owners get too personally close to their employees.

Nice post Radar, I think this all goes to show that owners with money and good intentions don't equate to winning. I was quick to drink the kool-aid but in hindsight I should have been more reserved.

PLAYOFFS!!!!

People who usually do a lot of winning hate losing more than they enjoy winning...I completely disagree with not being frustrated and desperate...they need to play every night like its a playoff game from here on out until they can figure out how to bring at least 75% of that level every night....right now they are at maybe 30% of that level...

Thanks for the compliment but I don't think my point came across like I'd hoped.  I also agree that's it's always a good thing to be angry with losing.  I just think Bylsma is missing the self awareness part.  I do not see a team that isn't giving effort - of course that's my opinion.  I just see a system not working.

Let's take your analogy of football and we're a young team.  When you're 2-5 and you average 12 points per football game - it may not be a time to say this team needs to start playing desperate and angry.  It's time to reflect as a coach on what is broken. 

You're best player is pissed.  Probably watching certain players on the Oilers and Maple Leafs raising their arms - and none too happy.  I'm not sure he's completely understanding what's brewing and it isn't, ok great my best player is pissed hope everyone else gets that way.

The problem is they are giving an effort to play a game they aren't going to be good at playing no matter how much DD tries to shove it down their throat...good coaches adapt to the type of players they have, not force their system down their throats...this is a strong example of "square peg" "round hole"  it just doesn't work.  I am flabbergasted that DD can't see this because its pretty much apparent to anyone who watches them...

DD wants to out defense teams to win...he plays scared hockey...watch what this team does when they get a 2 goal lead...they stop playing offense and just chip the puck out of their zone and try and hold on for dear life...its ridiculous.

Edited by matter2003

After watching the Whaley Presser is Bylsma actually a Pegula hire??

We could go back to the intro. presser, but I don't think the question was asked. Too bad there weren't sharp questioners there like the ones I'm listening to right now in the Whaley audio clip. Then again, people were still enamored by Pegula then, so I'm not sure anyone cared.

It's very possible Tim Murray has absolutely no say on who is the coach.   Murray may not have the autonomy we had hoped he'd have over the team;  he was a novice GM when hired- perhaps he agreed to allow too many restrictions on his authority as part of the deal?

We were hoping for a hockey Czar - perhaps Murray has allowed himself to be too restricted and limited by the Pegulas?   

It's very possible Tim Murray has absolutely no say on who is the coach.   Murray may not have the autonomy we had hoped he'd have over the team;  he was a novice GM when hired- perhaps he agreed to allow too many restrictions on his authority as part of the deal?

We were hoping for a hockey Czar - perhaps Murray has allowed himself to be too restricted and limited by the Pegulas?   

He needs to be asked about it.

Would be some great hardball questions for GMTM -  "Tim,  how heavily were you involved in the selection and hire of Bylsma?"  "Tim, does Bylsma report to you, or to ownership?"  

I would love to know the answers, and more insight on how much (or how little) autonomy Murray has as Sabres' GM. 

Well... you have to wonder what's happening with these franchises and the Pegula family now.

The Bills debacle has certainly opened the door to the questions.  It could lend to why Murray has been real quiet so far as well.  Perhaps Bylsma was pushed by Pegula and Murray's distancing himself from the show?  I think it's only a matter of time now before the question gets asked to him.

Yup.  Terry Pegula's own angry interview today, after Whaley's presser,  to allay concerns that his Bills' organization is dysfunctional actually made the Bills organization structure seem MORE dysfunctional if that's possible- Terry pulled the curtain back to reveal a puppet GM who, like Schultz in Hogan's Heroes, "Knows nothing!",  and now fans, sports reporters, and sports writers alike are left wondering what Whaley is responsible for, or how much authority he has, if any.

It's just an amazing hot mess!   

Bylsma's message to his young centres: look both ways before crossing the street, eat all of your vegetables and for God's sake don't you dare talk to any strangers! This league is a dangerous place. Don't let go of mommy's hand!

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/02/sabres-centers-daunting-challenge-ahead/

As if our offensive creativity wasn't neutered enough already.

I'm done with this guy.

Bylsma's message to his young centres: look both ways before crossing the street, eat all of your vegetables and for God's sake don't you dare talk to any strangers! This league is a dangerous place. Don't let go of mommy's hand!

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/02/sabres-centers-daunting-challenge-ahead/

As if our offensive creativity wasn't neutered enough already.

I'm done with this guy.

I wish it didn't come to this (cuz, ya know, I want to watch good hockey), but Fed-up Dudacek is one of my favorite posters :)