GDT: Detroit at Buffalo, 7:00 PM ET, 11/23/2016

Doohickie

So, the little round-robin tourney between Calgary, Detroit and Buffalo continues.  Sunday, Calgary beat the Red Wings, pushing Detroit's current losing streak to 4.  Monday, the Sabres defeated the Flames.  So if we can beat the Flames, and the Flames can beat the Wings, it's only logical that we should beat the Wings.

mr-spock.jpg

Let's hope logic holds and the Sabres can defeat the Red Wings, who are on the back end of their dynasty.

The Buffalo lineup I'm showing is the same as Monday's.  If ROR is ready to go, look for him to slot into Larsson's 1st line center spot and Larsson to drop down to the second or third line, making COR the odd man out.

On the Detroy-it side, look for old friends Thomas Vanek (in just his second game back after missing 11 with a LBI) and Steve Ott.  The Wings have been struggling mightily this year to fill the void left by Pavel Datsyuk's departure.  The conveyor belt of Eurotrash has finally dried up and the Wings just aren't the team they used to be.  Goalie-wise, the Wings have split the goaltending duties pretty evenly.  Jimmy Howard with a miserly 1.85 GAA and a miserable 4-5 record played the last game, so maybe they'll play Petr Mrazek (3.16 GAA, .904 SV%) tonight.  If that's the case, the key to the game looks like it will be shoot early and shoot often.

Correction to Sabres lines (ROR is back!)

Lines from this morning:

Moulson-ROR-Okposo

Zemgus-Reinhart-Kane

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Carrier-COR-Grant

31148529395_bcd77fbc94_b.jpg  30822347340_010134f60b_b.jpg

Lehner:  "YOU SHALL NOT PASS."

43299.jpg

GO SABRES.

Edited by High Ankle Sprain

I'm ready to make a habit of beating these guys. We've been no challenge to them for over a decade. 

Their forward lines just don't make you say WOW.  They're a combination of aging stars and youngsters that haven't arrived and perhaps never will.

Edited by High Ankle Sprain

I'd love to make it three, we certainly need the points/wins. A four game losing streak scares me a bit though. Detroit is not accustomed to losing, and while their lines don't scare me, Buffalo's lack of effort in many games still does. Will they keep playing hard for a full 60 minutes, or has winning a few and finally breaking out more than 1 goal getting them complacent?

I'm going to hope for the best again. It's worked out for the last two games.

What's with the Eurotrash comment?

Sigh.

Detroit was one of the first teams to bring players from Europe in bulk.  At one time in the 1990s they had a complete 5-man unit made up of nothing but Russians.

They managed to scoop some of the best Euro players with late draft picks because they were ahead of the curve in the scouting of Europe.

You won't see too many players like Zetterberg (210th overall) or Datsyuk (171th overall) be drafted that late anymore.  The rest of the teams are now aware of Europe.

Detroit was one of the first teams to bring players from Europe in bulk. At one time in the 1990s they had a complete 5-man unit made up of nothing but Russians.

They managed to scoop some of the best Euro players with late draft picks because they were ahead of the curve in the scouting of Europe.

You won't see too many players like Zetterberg (210th overall) or Datsyuk (171th overall) be drafted that late anymore. The rest of the teams are now aware of Europe.

What made them trashy?

I think I actually may be excited to watch this one. It would be great to roll into the long weekend with a win knowing that we are one more day closer to the return. Like it has been thought all along, play 500 point hockey until he returns and they will come.

So pumped for tonights game. Want a 3 game win streak! Have high hopes ROR will be back on the ice. 

When Eichel does return it's amazing to think how much the lines may change. Moulson's improvement helps a lot. Will Moulson be moved to the 2nd or 1st line? Can only assume last years very effective 3rd line will be put back together. Must admit I haven't watched a lot of hockey this season, so I may be wrong on the possible changes. Just excited the Sabres are closing in on "opening night." 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.