GDT: Detroit at Buffalo, 7:00 PM ET, 11/23/2016

Doohickie

I knew it wasn't. Just kinda funny, though.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-11-24 at 1.54.01 PM.png

Thought you were referring to the couple that qwk referenced that were wearing a split Red Wings - Sabres sweater w/ their last name (presumably) on the name plate. One wearing a Detroit toque, the other a Sabres one. Edited by Taro T

Shootouts are measured by how many pucks you stop.

He was quite good his last two seasons in Ottawa and has been bloody awful here.

I already mentioned that, but this is the breakout;   Let's look at his final two years in Ottawa;  In 2014, he had a SVG% of .714, 10 saves on 14 shots which is below average.  Also, in 2013, he was 20 for 30 in shootouts, or a .666 SVG%.  Again -below league average

He doesn't have as big a sample set yet with Buffalo since he missed a big chunk of the 2015-16 season due to his injury.  2 for 6 in 2015, and so far this year 0-4.   So he's faced 10 total shootout shots in Buffalo, and stopped 2 for .200.  But again, not a big sample size. 

Even if he played as 'good' as he did in Ottawa,  he'd still be substandard in shoot outs.  And because he's a veteran, I don't see much chance of improvement in this stat.  

Edited by Jsixspd

I already mentioned that, but this is the breakout;   Let's look at his final two years in Ottawa;  In 2014, he had a SVG% of .714, 10 saves on 14 shots which is below average.  Also, in 2013, he was 20 for 30 in shootouts, or a .666 SVG%.  Again -below league average

He doesn't have as big a sample set yet with Buffalo since he missed a big chunk of the 2015-16 season due to his injury.  2 for 6 in 2015, and so far this year 0-4.   So he's faced 10 total shootout shots in Buffalo, and stopped 2 for .200.  But again, not a big sample size. 

Even if he played as 'good' as he did in Ottawa,  he'd still be substandard in shoot outs.  And because he's a veteran, I don't see much chance of improvement in this stat.

I'm not sure why you are saying he was substandard in Ottawa. That's absolutely false.

Goalies save about 68 % of shootout shots.

In 2014, the league average was 69% Lehner was over 71%

In 2013, the league was 64% Lehner was nearly 67%

Both years he was above average.

https://businessofhockey.wordpress.com/2015/01/04/a-deep-look-into-advanced-shootout-statistics/

In 2013, Lehner's ranking in shootout Save% was 40th out of 75 ranked goalies, which is a bit below average.  2014 was 30th out of 71, so a bit above average.  blending the stats together, he'd be 35th out of 73 goalies, which is average to just a bit below average,  

I'm not seeing anything in his stats of the last 4 years to suggest that Lehner will ever be good at shootouts.     And of course this year he's been abominable;  like a sieve.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.