GDT: Sabres at Wild, Nov. 1, 2016, 8:00 pm

nfreeman

Not half of available points -- in each of the OTL games, they took 1 out of 3 points, not 1 out of 2. This is why "NHL .500" is less meaningful than DeLuca .500 -- because more teams league-wide are well above NHL .500, because more points are awarded due to OTL games.

We can start to think seriously about playoffs when we get a couple of wins above DeLuca .500 -- not before.

Depends on how you define "half of the available points." 

If you define it as "half of the available points available to your team," then yeah, the NHL .500 is getting half, not a third.

Splitting hairs, and I agree with the main point.  I'm just too pedantic for my own good sometimes.

I'd like them to go to a 3 point game system (like they use in international tournaments) instead of the stupid 2+1 system they currently have. Maybe that would make playing for Overtime less attractive since now you're giving up that 3rd point. Of course that now means that Overtime wins are less than regulation wins, and the same as a shootout win, unless you keep the ROW tie breaker too.

I have no idea why they didn't just go to 3 points when they changed the Overtime rules. Was it to avoid changes to the records? IE now you'd have a potential 246 points in a season instead of 164 which would mean getting over 100 points in a season would become commonplace.

My theory is by doing this it keeps the standings closer.  Thus keeps teams in the 'playoff hunt' longer.  Resulting increase in ticket sales....

My theory is by doing this it keeps the standings closer.  Thus keeps teams in the 'playoff hunt' longer.  Resulting increase in ticket sales....

That's not a bad theory. I wonder if it would make for fewer important games the last few weeks of the season or more. I hate watching a game between two playoff teams slow way down  in the 3rd period because both teams are playing for 1 point and a chance at bonus point rather than a win. ROW was supposed to help reduce this, but I'm not convinced it has.

It's hard for me to remember since the Sabres haven't been in the hunt for awhile, so I haven't been watching a lot of random hockey games with playoff implications at the end of the season like I did a few years back.

I'd like them to go to a 3 point game system (like they use in international tournaments) instead of the stupid 2+1 system they currently have. Maybe that would make playing for Overtime less attractive since now you're giving up that 3rd point. Of course that now means that Overtime wins are less than regulation wins, and the same as a shootout win, unless you keep the ROW tie breaker too.

I have no idea why they didn't just go to 3 points when they changed the Overtime rules. Was it to avoid changes to the records? IE now you'd have a potential 246 points in a season instead of 164 which would mean getting over 100 points in a season would become commonplace.

Multiple threads about this but most of them are from 2+ years ago (I know cause I started one). The general consensus from the people around here were what Derrico said:

and they wanted to preserve the historical point totals reference. If they awarded 3 points for every game instead of the traditional 2, then 1st place teams would end up with 180 points, which would far surpass historically great teams like the Gretzky Oilers and the cup champion Habs that got ~130. There would be two totally different statistical eras.

But I agree - it makes no sense to have an arbitrary point value for each game depending on the outcome. The total points available league wide could be anywhere from a min of 4,920 (30 teams x 82 games x 2 pt/gm) to a max of 7,380 (30 teams x 82 games x 3 pt/gm for all OT/SO games). That's nutty.

Hello guys!

Staying up for this game, hoping for another strong game from our team.

Any tips on good hotells in buffalo ?

If you're coming all that way, you should do it up and stay at the HarborCenter Marriott!

Failing that, the Avant Embassy Suites are nice, and there's a Westin as well (brand new). Those two are about a mile from the arena - on delaware avenue.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/dan-bylsma-pregame-11116/t-277437090/c-45875603

DD Pregame Presser

He stated Bailey has been playing on the left side in Rochester for just such a situation

Goober has got to be one of the most boring coaches I have ever heard in my life. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three straight wins, three straight shutouts................ this is the situation where things are bound to end. (I made a 2nd individual post, still not sure why we still have post merging. The mods get angry when I ask)

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.