GDT: Buffalo at Calgary, 9:00 PM ET, 10/18/2016

Doohickie

Blech.

So many times we just chipped the puck aimlessly up the boards 5 on 5, even guys like Risto and Okposo. Dan's system is brutal.

The team looked really composed in the first.

Foligno is an above average fourth liner. I can't wait to get him off the third.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I definitely want to clarify that I'm 100% mad at Bylsma, I think Grant has done fine, everything he can do. He's been good in his PK minutes. My complaints with regard to him are solely related to his deployment, which again, he does not control.

This. Eight minutes taking faceoffs and chipping in, not 15 on the 2nd unit PP

Kulikov looks good enough to skate on the top pairing now.

Risto looks like he needs the help, too. Not a great showing from him.

Our players still seem like they have no idea what to do in 3 on 3. Our reaction generally seems to be retreat and wait. And then we eventually cough up the puck.

The 2 D gimmick to start overtime is being wayyyy too cute. It's starting us in a position of defensiveness. Our 3 on 3 deployment is meek from the outset. It wouldn't be so bad if it was Kulikov instead of Gorges, though.

Reinhart instead of Ennis for the bench minor was hilarious.

I'm still mystified how they allow Calgary's first goal especially when there was a whistle before the puck crosses the line and the ref immediately waving it off. Seriously, wtf? Toronto doesn't get a look review either?!! Totally blown!! Sabres should have gotten 2pts tonight. 

I don't get it either. Did the NHL slip some rule change in without telling anyone? There have been quick whistles that cost teams goals down through the ages where every other official on the ice knew it was a blown call, and nothing was overturned.

I agree with the OT it was a weird play with the retreat and set up.. which only got us trapped in our own zone.

Lehner let in 2 softies I thought. He left the short side open on the tying goal and then made himself small instead of tall and left the top shelf wide open on the OT goal

Overall we just couldn't set up well in the offense zone. and a bunch of the team look a little flat footed to me

I don't get it either. Did the NHL slip some rule change in without telling anyone? There have been quick whistles that cost teams goals down through the ages where every other official on the ice knew it was a blown call, and nothing was overturned.

This.  I know many here watch way more hockey than I do, but until last night I've never seen an inadvertent whistle result in a goal ultimately being allowed.  It's always been so sorry, my bad but no goal.

Sam Reinhart made a mistake last night. He had time when he got that puck to throw it behind the net to a waiting ROR. Instead he waited and tried to take the hit. After that everything went to hell. 

DD, the next I see Sam Reinhart sitting in the box to serve the extra penalty I will start calling for your immediate removal. Worst coaching decision 

Robin Lehner needs to be better. Rasmus Ristolainen needs to be better. 

We need Jack Eichel back. I love Reinhart but Jack has that explosive ability to impact the game that Sam lacks. 

You think Reinhart didn't get cross-checked? You think he fell on purpose?

I'm saying that guys get cross-checked like that a hundred times a game when they are fighting for the puck on the boards.

Watch his right leg. It collapses and he falls. if he was trying to stay up it would have moved forward to try and stop his fall.

How about not turning your back to a guy you are fighting for a puck with?

I'm saying that guys get cross-checked like that a hundred times a game when they are fighting for the puck on the boards.

Watch his right leg. It collapses and he falls. if he was trying to stay up it would have moved forward to try and stop his fall.

When you have the puck, everyone turns their back to the guy coming in. That is literally how you protect the puck. I think Sam screwed up on the play but I don't think he was trying to get a penalty call by deliberately falling. 

and they never go down? it still should have been called a penalty

Edited by nucci

When you have the puck, everyone turns their back to the guy coming in. That is literally how you protect the puck. I think Sam screwed up on the play but I don't think he was trying to get a penalty call by deliberately falling. 

True, But there's turning your back and there's turning your back. I just watched it a bunch of times again, and it just didn't seem like that hard of a cross-check for as hard as he went down.

We're 1 1 1 after an eleventh hour unexpected loss of of a star player followed by the loss of a significant contributor both with above average speed. I believe all the practice up to Jack going down was around a faster,more aggressive style.  They are adjusting to what they have.  It's 3 games into a new camp so to speak.  Baptiste looks like he has a future.  They all need to play better and pick each other up.  Usage is an issue.  The calvary will arrive but not until December. 

Rock on boys.

Edit 

I meant we got 3 of 6 points so far with 2 on the road.

Edited by 3putt

Lehner: much-ado about nothing?

Not sure how anyone could call the winner a softie. Monahan had space, time, made a wicked move and roofed the shot.

But the tying goal was abysmal, the difference between winning and losing.

He's made some outstanding saves over three games, but overall he's been meh - not the problem, but certainly not the answer.

Anyone else wondering why RJ is on this west coast trip?

Hint: the answer might have something to do w/ who is the youngest captain in league history. (Just like everyone else, RJ wanted to watch McEichel go head to head in Alberta for the 1st time. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. Maybe next year the 3rd try will be the charm.)

Hint: the answer might have something to do w/ who is the youngest captain in league history. (Just like everyone else, RJ wanted to watch McEichel go head to head in Alberta for the 1st time. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. Maybe next year the 3rd try will be the charm.)

I thought it was that but then he did the Calgary game. I figured he would have went home

Everybody keeps saying Reinhart should've thrown the puck over to ROR on the last play, but he made the right decision not to. Brodie was hovering right behind ROR and could've easily stepped in and taken the puck or removed ROR and taken it. He was kind of out of options because his teammates weren't in position to receive the puck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.