GDT: Buffalo at Calgary, 9:00 PM ET, 10/18/2016

Doohickie

Agreed on Calgary's first goal: They absolutely blew the call in real time, and then inexplicably reversed course without so much as offering an explanation.

My best guess at an explanation is that the high ref claimed the puck was in the net before the low ref's whistle blew. (And that upon realizing how horribly he missed that the puck was loose, decided to agree w/ his partner.) This is compketely inconsistent w/ the rule & though Bylsma could not challenge the call, he shouldn't have had to do that. TO should've reviewed it and reversed the allowed goal decision. Minus the whistle/ intent to blow the whistle, the goal would have been good; but there was the intent to blow the whistle which cannot be overlooked/ignored.

Typical NHL, doing the expedient thing rather than the correct one.

Everybody keeps saying Reinhart should've thrown the puck over to ROR on the last play, but he made the right decision not to. Brodie was hovering right behind ROR and could've easily stepped in and taken the puck or removed ROR and taken it. He was kind of out of options because his teammates weren't in position to receive the puck.

Whoever was behind the net with Reinhart was completely alone. Reinhart made the wrong read.

Everybody keeps saying Reinhart should've thrown the puck over to ROR on the last play, but he made the right decision not to. Brodie was hovering right behind ROR and could've easily stepped in and taken the puck or removed ROR and taken it. He was kind of out of options because his teammates weren't in position to receive the puck.

True but at the very least he should have thrown it to open space or iced it. Cant turn your back like that in OT and or in playoffs you will get killed not mention getting scored against. Lesson learned Im sure.

I'm not a fan of the loser point, but in this case I'll take it and run and hide with it.

Kind of how I feel. I thought their passing was pretty bad most of the game. The defense-men seemed to be struggling to get the puck out of their end cleanly, even when they had time. 

D seemed OK, struggled to clear the zone at times. 

The Flames' feed showed a replay of the goal with the inadvertent whistle. The replay was in real time from above and it didn't look/sound like the whistle blew until he shot it, but maybe before it crossed the line. It really had no impact on the play and the puck was never really under Lehner. I had zero issue with them calling it a good goal. Maybe they should have reviewed it, but it wasn't a goal because of the whistle in any way. 

Edited by elroy16

I thought it was that but then he did the Calgary game. I figured he would have went home

Can't recall him ever bailing mid-roadtrip. No reason to expect he'd start now.

He got a chance to see Johnny Hockey play and the next stop is in BC. No way he bails on a trip to Vancouver in October when he's already made it to Alberta.

True but at the very least he should have thrown it to open space or iced it. Cant turn your back like that in OT and or in playoffs you will get killed not mention getting scored against. Lesson learned Im sure.

This was his only option are he should have. Or he should've gotten the blatant cross checking call that was the only way Monahan was getting the puck from him. He was weak on the puck but I'm fine with his decision in that situation.

Whoever was behind the net with Reinhart was completely alone. Reinhart made the wrong read.

O'Reilly was behind the net and Brodie was off screen but right there to make the play on him. McCabe was standing in front of the net.

The anger of the moment had me blaming the refs and Reinhart's decision making. Now I blame the refs and Reinhart's lack of strength on the puck.

Using Jack and Kane being injured to defend Bylsma's approach doesn't have a ton of legs, IMO. Why? Because right now, the team's shot metrics resemble those of the tank years. We're dead last in the league with ~41 shot attempts per 60 minutes of even strength time (the Leafs are #1 with over 70). Nolan-esque, yet I don't think anyone around here is about to argue that this team with ROR, Okposo, Reinhart and Kulikov in the lineup is anything other than significantly better than those tank years.

Bylsma has got to go.

This was his only option are he should have. Or he should've gotten the blatant cross checking call that was the only way Monahan was getting the puck from him. He was weak on the puck but I'm fine with his decision in that situation.

O'Reilly was behind the net and Brodie was off screen but right there to make the play on him. McCabe was standing in front of the net.

The anger of the moment had me blaming the refs and Reinhart's decision making. Now I blame the refs and Reinhart's lack of strength on the puck.

That pass was short enough to make it to ROR before the forechecker got there. It was a poor decision on Reinhart's part.

Using Jack and Kane being injured to defend Bylsma's approach doesn't have a ton of legs, IMO. Why? Because right now, the team's shot metrics resemble those of the tank years. We're dead last in the league with ~41 shot attempts per 60 minutes of even strength time (the Leafs are #1 with over 70). Nolan-esque, yet I don't think anyone around here is about to argue that this team with ROR, Okposo, Reinhart and Kulikov in the lineup is anything other than significantly better than those tank years.

Bylsma has got to go.

I am getting there. The system they play is very stuffy and shut down. It has little flow or creativity. 

Bylsma has got to go.

Hey hey, hey ho!

Can't recall him ever bailing mid-roadtrip. No reason to expect he'd start now.

He got a chance to see Johnny Hockey play and the next stop is in BC. No way he bails on a trip to Vancouver in October when he's already made it to Alberta.

The bolded is quite lyrical.

My best guess at an explanation is that the high ref claimed the puck was in the net before the low ref's whistle blew. (And that upon realizing how horribly he missed that the puck was loose, decided to agree w/ his partner.) This is compketely inconsistent w/ the rule & though Bylsma could not challenge the call, he shouldn't have had to do that. TO should've reviewed it and reversed the allowed goal decision. Minus the whistle/ intent to blow the whistle, the goal would have been good; but there was the intent to blow the whistle which cannot be overlooked/ignored.

Typical NHL, doing the expedient thing rather than the correct one.

Plus, the whistle clearly blew before the puck entered the net. Yeah I kept waiting for the Toronto review. What am I missing? Is it not reviewable? Also, your last line: you devil.

Not sure how anyone could call the winner a softie. Monahan had space, time, made a wicked move and roofed the shot.

But the tying goal was abysmal, the difference between winning and losing.

He's made some outstanding saves over three games, but overall he's been meh - not the problem, but certainly not the answer.

I was nodding toward the tying goal.

Hint: the answer might have something to do w/ who is the youngest captain in league history. (Just like everyone else, RJ wanted to watch McEichel go head to head in Alberta for the 1st time. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. Maybe next year the 3rd try will be the charm.)

Also, when was the last time a Western swing started with the second game of the season? The weather is still decent, he doesn't need a break and would probably be embarrassed to take one already. Plus the McLavicle thing.

Anyone see Gorges vs mcJesus the other night? Penalty or not, and it was a cross check from behind, reinhart can't give the puck up

Sorry, how does that work?  A penalty is committed against a player and the player is still expected to play hockey properly?  Why would it be a penalty then?  Isn't the point of a penalty is to prevent players from taking action that otherwise prevent hockey from being played as it was intended by the rules?

Real in and out game. I saw that good road game at times, but I also saw too many breakdowns.

Game turned on Chad's big save on Reinhart and Lehner's whiff on Tkachuk (who looks every inch the cocky prick his old man was).

Special teams, improving Kulikov, speed potential shown by Baptiste/Girgensons/Ennis in their brief glimpses were some of the things I liked. Another sketchy game for Franson, Bogosian with his worst effort of the young season. I expect Gorges to treat the puck like a hand grenade. These guys can and should be better.

I like the way Dan leads his team and I'm still on the fence about his system.

But his player usage? Putting Gionta out there with the big three for the 4-on-3 late? Making sure Risto KO and ROR weren't available for the 5-on-3 portion. Having Derek Grant out for that key 5-on-3?

OT isn't complicated: you use your best six forwards and three D, best being defined as the three guys most likely to get the puck and hang on to it. That's never Gorges.

It's ROR and Okposo, Kane and Eichel, Reinhart and Ennis. It's Risto, McCabe and Kulikov.

It's not complicated.

Gionta has great hand-eye coordination and is excellent at tipping shots.  I didn't see a problem with it.  It's a strategy.  You could try and use Foligno there for a bigger body and to bang home a rebound. You could do a lot of things, using Gionta is one of them.  

Ristolainen got over 25 minutes tonight. DAN. YOU DON"T NEED TO DO THAT. DUMP SOME OFF ON THE OTHER TOP 4 MEMBERS.

ROR got TWENTY SIX MINUTES AND FOUR SECONDS. WITH BACK INJURIES. 

Sorry for shouting. But Bylsma is going to murder our best forward. This has to ###### stop.

He had back spasms.  It's not like he slipped a disc.  You've got people on here complaining that other forwards are on the ice and at the same time people complaining that the top players are on the ice too much.  A coach has to put SOMEONE on the ice.

Probably, but Reinhardt learned a valuable lesson... You are not going to get that call in another teams barn in OT.  Can't expect it.  Won't happen in the playoffs either... probably not in regulation either.  Can't sit there and turn your back like that... 

That is what EVERY player is coached to do from youth hockey on up and that should be a penalty EVERY time.  You can't blame a player because a referee blows a call.  

I'm still mystified how they allow Calgary's first goal especially when there was a whistle before the puck crosses the line and the ref immediately waving it off. Seriously, wtf? Toronto doesn't get a look review either?!! Totally blown!! Sabres should have gotten 2pts tonight. 

Toronto reviews all goals.  So they reviewed it.  Why it's a goal is another story.

I'm saying that guys get cross-checked like that a hundred times a game when they are fighting for the puck on the boards.

Watch his right leg. It collapses and he falls. if he was trying to stay up it would have moved forward to try and stop his fall.

How about not turning your back to a guy you are fighting for a puck with?

See above.  Every player from youth hockey to the NHL is coaches to protect the puck by turning their back to the defender.  Reinhart did exactly what he is supposed to do and he's not supposed to get cross-checked, boarded, etc.  There are a multitude of penalties that could have been called there but none were.  That's solely on the referee and no one else.  I would argue that most players who are fighting along the boards are not sitting 3 feet out from the boards. Most do not get cross-checked to the point where they fall down.

He was in a position waiting for Monahan to move to one side or the other and then he would spin.  To do that you need to have your feet even or you are favoring a particular direction.  So, if his right foot is forward Monahan would see that and attack Reinhart's left side as that was the side he was favoring.  

Reinhart was square and Monahan choose to attack Reinhart's back rather than his left or right side.

Not sure how anyone could call the winner a softie. Monahan had space, time, made a wicked move and roofed the shot.

He's made some outstanding saves over three games, but overall he's been meh - not the problem, but certainly not the answer.

In chicago they call him crawford.

He went down low with his stick. If he makes himself tall and hugs the post there is no upper shelf shot IMO... 

but after watching the replay flames had the open pass as well so i guess I can retract that OT goal as a softie and place blame on our 3 on 3 patheticness. It was late and I was half asleep watching the last period

Edited by ddaryl

This is pretty much where I am on Lehner.  Tkachuk's goal was terrible.  And the goal that was initially waived off was the result of Lehner giving up a fat rebound a few seconds earlier instead of smothering the puck.  The Sabres were unable to clear the zone and Calgary ended up scoring.  I've noticed his rebound control as an issue so far this season -- it cost them that goal.

Overall, Lehner has been JAG -- and to this point, it's fair to say they'd have been better off with Ocho and the #1.  Still, it's way too early to draw any conclusions.

Speaking of Tkachuk's goal, I thought Risto gave him way too much room -- he let him cruise down to the faceoff dot, take a long look and fire off a full-power wrister.  That was poor defense.

Otherwise, I had the following game notes:

- While I can see the point of those espousing patience and appreciation for getting 3 out of 4 points on a WC road trip, I still think that the point they let slip away last night is the kind of point that playoff teams lock up.  Calgary is a crappy team, and the Sabres blew 2 3rd-period leads.  That's a non-playoff-team kinda move.

- I really like Okposo.  He has a lot of game.

- I wasn't unhappy with any of the defensemen last night, notwithstanding Risto's poor play on Tkachuk's goal.

- For those unhappy with Grant getting 15 min last night -- I assume you'd like to see Moulson (12 min), Ennis (10 min) or Zemgus (10 min) to get some of Grant's ice time?  IMHO Grant was more effective than any of those 3 last night.

- I liked what I saw of Baptiste.

- Foligno is off to a very good start to the season. 

- Overall I thought the Sabres played with a fair amount of jump and heart.  They made a few mistakes that cost them, and their execution on the 5-on-3 was terrible.  But it was a creditable outing.

Oh well.  If they can get a W against Millsie it will have certainly been a good road trip.

a few thoughts on that game...

- Bad play by Risto to allow Tkachuk to get the shot off, but Lehner also needs to make that save.   A minus Risto deserved.

- That was not a penalty in OT.    Reinhart needs to be stronger on the puck, this is the NHL, not beer league.     O'Reilly also needed to stay with Monahan but he didn't and he walks in all alone on Lehner.  

One of my coaches used to say "the guy with out the puck works the hardest".   In OT, both O'Reilly and McCabe were standing relatively still watching Reinhart with the puck.    Sure Reinhart could've passed it over to O'Reilly in the corner, but maybe O'Reilly saw a guy coming and yelled "No!", maybe not, but either way Reinhart needs to stay on his feet there, he got caught standing still I'd like to see him move his feet, same for O'Reilly and McCabe, move your feet provide some puck support or do something to get open and call for it.   

This is pretty much where I am on Lehner.  Tkachuk's goal was terrible.  And the goal that was initially waived off was the result of Lehner giving up a fat rebound a few seconds earlier instead of smothering the puck.  The Sabres were unable to clear the zone and Calgary ended up scoring.  I've noticed his rebound control as an issue so far this season -- it cost them that goal.

Overall, Lehner has been JAG -- and to this point, it's fair to say they'd have been better off with Ocho and the #1.  Still, it's way too early to draw any conclusions.

l.

I agree on the cherry rebounds.. Noticed a few of the GA are from phat rebounds

- While I can see the point of those espousing patience and appreciation for getting 3 out of 4 points on a WC road trip, I still think that the point they let slip away last night is the kind of point that playoff teams lock up.  Calgary is a crappy team, and the Sabres blew 2 3rd-period leads.  That's a non-playoff-team kinda move.

I am firmly in the happy to have 3 out of 4 points group. I'm also willing to say a lot of what happened in Calgary sucked. But I remember where we're coming from and if there's one thing the last three season's worth of have taught me, it's how to have a little patience. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.