Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

I watched The Battle of the Bulge on YouTube yesterday ... I was a bit bored and it hooked me.

1965 all star cast ... all young versions of Robert Shaw, Henry Fonda, Kojak and that Death Wish guy.

The graphics are very funny back then.

My favourite scene ...

More Germans speaking perfect English.

episode 3 of the grand tour..... Richard Hammond is a secret american i swear haha.

I'm surprised as anyone that I feel like their schitck is wearing thin. The last few series of TG started to wear on me as it was beautifully-shot but repetitive. I don't feel like the new one is shot as well and I find myself missing the celebrity interviews and serious car tests on the track to break up the buffoonery. This could also be in part that the Clarkson "incident" has pushed him from "loud-mouth buffoon" to "actual giant " in my mind so I'm less favourable to the stupid crap he says.

episode 3 of the grand tour..... Richard Hammond is a secret american i swear haha.

His show Richard Hammond's Crash Course is basically just him fanboying all across America. He realllllly loves the US of A. 

I'm surprised as anyone that I feel like their schitck is wearing thin. The last few series of TG started to wear on me as it was beautifully-shot but repetitive. I don't feel like the new one is shot as well and I find myself missing the celebrity interviews and serious car tests on the track to break up the buffoonery. This could also be in part that the Clarkson "incident" has pushed him from "loud-mouth buffoon" to "actual giant ######" in my mind so I'm less favourable to the stupid crap he says.

I'm enjoying it for now but your last statement there has been an issue of mine for awhile. He's brilliant but rather repulses me. At least the other two bust his balls constantly. 

I rarely enjoyed the celebrity bits in TG, I admit it. Once in awhile, you'd get a stunner, or it would totally change my opinion on someone. But it was just always rather off for me. 

I'd like to see them forced to drive each other's car choices. It's predictable- James May in a refined, stately "old codger's choice" version of whatever the prompt is, Hammond in a 20 something's wet dream muscle car or Porsche, and Clarkson in a Benz or whatever they had the highest budget for. 

But it's still fun. 

I watched The Battle of the Bulge on YouTube yesterday ... I was a bit bored and it hooked me.

1965 all star cast ... all young versions of Robert Shaw, Henry Fonda, Kojak and that Death Wish guy.

The graphics are very funny back then.

My favourite scene ...

More Germans speaking perfect English.

That movie though - goes beyond taking artistic liberties with the Battle of Bulge - as I recall (and I haven't watched it in years) it's horrendously inaccurate and doesn't even follow the actual timeline or events of the historic Battle of the Bulge that I've read about in various books.  

Edited by Jsixspd

That movie though - goes beyond taking artistic liberties with the Battle of Bulge - as I recall (and I haven't watched it in years) it's horrendously inaccurate and doesn't even follow the actual timeline or events of the historic Battle of the Bulge that I've read about in various books.  

I agree, but I am a big Robert Shaw fan.

His show Richard Hammond's Crash Course is basically just him fanboying all across America. He realllllly loves the US of A. 

I'm enjoying it for now but your last statement there has been an issue of mine for awhile. He's brilliant but rather repulses me. At least the other two bust his balls constantly. 

I rarely enjoyed the celebrity bits in TG, I admit it. Once in awhile, you'd get a stunner, or it would totally change my opinion on someone. But it was just always rather off for me. 

I'd like to see them forced to drive each other's car choices. It's predictable- James May in a refined, stately "old codger's choice" version of whatever the prompt is, Hammond in a 20 something's wet dream muscle car or Porsche, and Clarkson in a Benz or whatever they had the highest budget for. 

But it's still fun. 

I like The Grand Tour and I don't care what anyone says! 

Although after 3 episodes the "celebrity brain crash" bit is already played out for me. I hope they move on from that soon. 

Handmaiden and Moonlight were both excellent. Both of these movies are indie darlings that got limited releases (had to drive to Ithaca to see them). I feel like I need to see Handmaiden again to really grasp it. Moonlight is a great movie about sexuality, male sensitivity, and the criminalization of the black man.

Incarnate was hilariously bad. Inception + excorcism - editing. It feels like they rolled with a first draft that somebody wrote over a weekend. Aaron Eckhart (two face from Dark Knight) and Carice Van Houten (Melisandre from GoT) were both in it at least.

Allied was eh. The first hour was great. Robert Zemeckis doesn't seem to really wanna try very hard anymore. The story of this movie is very unambitious, and undermines the strong characterization that we get early on.

Anyone in here into the original Star Trek television show? Must admit it was before my time, but I'm getting into it. I did enjoy The Next Generation while growing up, so for the heck of it I decided to watch an episode of the original last night on Netflix. Right now I'm enjoying it. Let me add the plan of watching one episode led to watching three. 

Edited by GoPre

Anyone in here into the original Star Trek television show? Must admit it was before my time, but I'm getting into it. I did enjoy The Next Generation while growing up, so for the heck of it I decided to watch an episode of the original last night on Netflix. Right now I'm enjoying it.

I got into it a few years ago. I feel like everyone owes it to themselves to watch the original Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio of Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley. The ship in a bottle episodes have such great atmosphere and tension building. The Doomsday Machine is my favorite episode.

Also, newer movies could take a page out of Star Trek's book when it comes to techno-babble.

I like The Grand Tour and I don't care what anyone says! 

Although after 3 episodes the "celebrity brain crash" bit is already played out for me. I hope they move on from that soon. 

Yes. That bit was funny the first time as a parody of the celebrity section of Top Gear. Now that it is apparent that they will not be actually doing a segment, it should just go away and be replaced with actual car testing or something.

Other than that I still like the show, but then again I would watch re-runs of Top Gear on BBC all day. 

Anyone in here into the original Star Trek television show? Must admit it was before my time, but I'm getting into it. I did enjoy The Next Generation while growing up, so for the heck of it I decided to watch an episode of the original last night on Netflix. Right now I'm enjoying it. Let me add the plan of watching one episode led to watching three. 

I've been working my way through it the recently, including last night while working. I saw various episodes over the years when I was younger, but it seems there are a bunch that I've never seen or don't remember. I'm in the third season now, "And the Childern Shall Lead" and "Is there No truth in Beauty?" (featuring Spock in a red visor and Dr. Pulaski) last.

The Netflix versions have the updated external shots with the computer-rendered ship and planets. I generally like it, but it'd be cool to compare to the original effects from time to time.

Edited by MattPie

Fargo, Season 2: The country was sick. A lack of confidence, Carter said. Did it get the placebo or the real thing in the election of 1980? (I loved this season.)

Fargo is on my list of shows to watch but haven't gotten around to yet. I loved the movie and I'll watch absolutely anything with Bruce Campbell and since he plays Reagan I've got to get around to it one of these days.

Speaking of Bruce Campbell the season 2 finale of the Greatest Show ever (Ash vs Evil Dead) based on the best trilogy ever (Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness) is coming on Sunday at 8 pm on Starz.

And for the record, yes I said GREATEST TRILOGY ever. Anyone who thinks Star Wars or Lord of the Rings of any of that other nonsense beats the great Ash Williams can eat my butt, ha ha!

Top 10 movies that came out this year:

1) The Witch

2) The Lobster

3) Nocturnal Animals

4) Denial

5) Moonlight

6) Edge of 17

7) Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stopping

8) Nerve

9) Finding Dory

10) Arrival

HM: Deadpool; Christine; Hail, Ceasar! ; and The Handmaiden

Still have a few movies left to see this year. I could definitely see Fences and Jackie shaking up the entire list. I really hope they do.