Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Their apparent refusal to acknowledge that their true fan-base is in Nassau County seems somehow reminiscent of other franchise-locating activities in the NHL. The Islanders want a piece of the 5 boroughs, I guess.

Barclays worked in theory because you have a Long Island Rail Road stop literally underneath the arena which made it somewhat less convenient than driving into Brooklyn and back again to catch a game.

Building a new arena in Queens will eliminate that modicum of convenience and I can't see how attendance will improve. It certainly isn't going to attract any casual fans. Barclays is at transit-hub, Citi-Field is a trek.

I for one, don't want to see them move. I live a mile away from the arena and casually attend ~3 games a year buying tickets on the secondary market. Oh well.

Toronto has three rookie of the months. Do we even have one?

Mathews > Eichel

Marner > Reinhart

Toronto Nylander > Buffalo Nylander (based on their AHL stats this isn't even close)

Anderson > Lehner

Reilly = Risto

Babcock >>> DD

Depressing

That is quite a list, but I could not help notice that we have something that the damn Leaves don't have any comparable for ... ROR.  IMO, no player on the Leaves comes close.

That is quite a list, but I could not help notice that we have something that the damn Leaves don't have any comparable for ... ROR.  IMO, no player on the Leaves comes close.

6-1 in their favor.  Sounds like the score of one of our games north of the border........

Barclays worked in theory because you have a Long Island Rail Road stop literally underneath the arena which made it somewhat less convenient than driving into Brooklyn and back again to catch a game.

Building a new arena in Queens will eliminate that modicum of convenience and I can't see how attendance will improve. It certainly isn't going to attract any casual fans. Barclays is at transit-hub, Citi-Field is a ###### trek.

I for one, don't want to see them move. I live a mile away from the arena and casually attend ~3 games a year buying tickets on the secondary market. Oh well.

Serious question, because I don't know; how far was Nassau Coliseum from a subway stop?  Or did you have to take LIRR?  Or did you live so close to Nassau Coliseum that it didn't matter?  

OK, I guess that's three serious questions.

Serious question, because I don't know; how far was Nassau Coliseum from a subway stop?  Or did you have to take LIRR?  Or did you live so close to Nassau Coliseum that it didn't matter?  

If I remember right, it's a ways out so LIRR. I think even LIRR and then a shuttle. Whoops, no shuttle, Train then Bus or Cab. http://www.nassaucoliseum.com/getting-here

That far out in the suburbs though, I think you have more people that drive.

Edited by MattPie

My crazy conspiracy theory is the league always favors the Original-6 teams. If you play for Boston, the Rangers, Montreal, Chicago, Toronto, or Detroit you can get away with murder. :devil:

(the more plausible explanation is the league doesn't like to suspend its star players and they consider Marchand a star player)

The kronwall slew foot was his 2nd in 3 weeks, the stralman made it to 3 in 3 weeks.

Main reason they didn't punish him after Kronwall is they would have to ban him from the ASG as well.   But that set a precedent and lawyers love those.

There's no NBA team in the Devils' rink.  It could be a temporary solution.

I think that demonstrates just how much I pay attention to the NBA and completely forgot that the Nets became the basketball team in Barclay Center... hah.  Go me!

Nassau is ~20 miles from the closest subway stop, if you wanted to go to an Islanders game from the city you'd have to take the LIRR and then catch a bus. I've always lived in Brooklyn so I love the convenience of the new arena.

I made it to two Islanders game before they moved to Brooklyn and both times opted for the "party bus organized by buffalo fans" option. I blacked out both times and don't really remember anything other than that....to be young again (or at least mid-20s).

On a side note, and probably for another thread, this Saturday the Islanders are hosting a Pride Night, and this saturday afternoon before the Islanders/Canes game I'll be playing a scrimmage at the Barclays center with the New York City Gay Hockey Association. I've never skated in an NHL arena and I can't wait for the experience.

Nassau is ~20 miles from the closest subway stop, if you wanted to go to an Islanders game from the city you'd have to take the LIRR and then catch a bus. I've always lived in Brooklyn so I love the convenience of the new arena.

I made it to two Islanders game before they moved to Brooklyn and both times opted for the "party bus organized by buffalo fans" option. I blacked out both times and don't really remember anything other than that....to be young again (or at least mid-20s).

On a side note, and probably for another thread, this Saturday the Islanders are hosting a Pride Night, and this saturday afternoon before the Islanders/Canes game I'll be playing a scrimmage at the Barclays center with the New York City Gay Hockey Association. I've never skated in an NHL arena and I can't wait for the experience.

Good stuff, stache. Enjoy!

The last part belongs in the Awesome Thread!

Awesome.  Have fun!  Post video if you're able?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.