Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Stan Bowman says there are big changes coming, but Q-Ville is staying. Let's see. You're not going to get rid of Kane, Toews, Crawford and Keith. 

Stan, what big changes are you going to make? You gonna turn that team around by showing those 13 players who make under $875K who's boss? 

Might wanna look in the mirror and note who you just paid $27,000,000 to ($21,000,000 cap hit) and figure out why maybe the rest of your roster has contempt. 

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1286152-blackhawks-bowman-quenneville-safe-but-other-changes-coming

I haven't been able to pay much attention to them this year, but people always seem to blush about Darling.  Can they find a way to keep him around on the cheap and send Crawford packing?  That certainly would open up some space.

The hawks are screwed royally.  Kind of why I picked them to make the Finals this year, felt like a last-kick at the can situation. 

The following 8 players have No Movement Clauses and account for $53.338 against the Cap:

Kane

Towes

Hossa (with the added benefit of cap recapture if they try to buy him out)

Anisimov

Seabrook

Keith

Hjarlmarsson (or however you spell that)

Crawford

Added bonus: Panarin makes 6 Mil next year.  Darling is a UFA  That's $60 million on 9 guys.  The bottom half of the lineup... not so good, unless they can hit on young guys, which didn't happen this time around.  Nick Schmaltz and Jordan Tootoo aren't gonna get it done. 

Watching some of it they said it's USA Hockey's 4th championship this year. CAn't remember all of them.. two were women's championships (U18 and Worlds?). Still, pretty amazing to think how USA Hockey has grown over the past 10 years...

Yes exactly. And 14 consecutive gold medals in seven of last nine years.

Another solid development to point out is expansion; though I don't like it for certain reasons Austin Matthews is a direct result of an NHL team in Arizona.

Still hoping P Kane will join the men's team this year.

In other news, USA U18 team just beat Finland for the Gold. Pretty cool.

I'm kind of surprised.  I watched them for a bit and they looked like they were struggling ... against Switzerland.  I almost came here to post that I was worried about what we have in the pipeline.

I'm kind of surprised. I watched them for a bit and they looked like they were struggling ... against Switzerland. I almost came here to post that I was worried about what we have in the pipeline.

Nah, the kids are alright ????The semi-final against Sweden went into overtime but other then that they were dominant throughout the tournament. Team USA in general is looking really, really good.

I'm still bummed about the Olympics next year though.

The Sabres don't have room for a 50 goal scorer. (really, I don't think they have the cap room)

Given what he pulled, I wonder how many teams would even be interested.  I guess this is the year for him to try it though.  He's 34 so no one gets stuck with a 35+ contract if/when he bolts again.

Given what he pulled, I wonder how many teams would even be interested. I guess this is the year for him to try it though. He's 34 so no one gets stuck with a 35+ contract if/when he bolts again.

I don't think we'll ever see Kovie in the NHL again. He's a flight risk lol.

I haven't been able to pay much attention to them this year, but people always seem to blush about Darling. Can they find a way to keep him around on the cheap and send Crawford packing? That certainly would open up some space.

Crawford might be a tough move, at least as long as Bishop is on the market.

Coincidentally, since you mentioned it, I looked up something about Darling and this story popped up. Looks like he's ready to move on looking for a starting job somewhere.

https://www.google.com/amp/chicago.suntimes.com/sports/scott-darlings-blackhawks-career-likely-at-an-end/amp/

Dreger, Friedman, and McKenzie have been making the media rounds today, saying the Canadians are in an extremely interesting spot. Bergevin's move of Claude and PK, plus Price's contract, plus Radulov's contract, Galchenyuck's contract, absolutely no centermen on the team, and the fact that Claude and Bergevin both have 5 more years left...all of them are wondering, what in the hell is Montreal going to do? 

Would you bring him back, relatively cheaply, were he to hit free agency?

I have no faith in him becoming anything, but I'd say why not just because of how terrible our blue line is.

Absolutely not. With all the talk about guys wanting to win, but not really dedicating themselves to their craft? Zadorov is a freaking poster child for that.

Any trade involving kids you give five years before passing judgement.

But that one sure isn't looking good for the Avs.

Joe Thornton played with a torn MCL and ACL. -> http://www.bardown.com/you-won-t-believe-the-injuries-joe-thornton-played-through-in-the-playoffs-1.732888

Everyone will talk about how tough he is.. I'd argue that he killed his team.  I guess being down 2-0 in the series they figured they couldn't get any worse.  I don't know about that.  No way I would put him in...

Let's see  Joe's stat lines were.

Game 6: 0G/0A - 22:01 TOI - 4 Giveaways - 0 Takeaways

Game 5: 0G/1A - 22:08 TOI - 2 Giveaways - 0 Takeaways

Game 4: 0G/1A - 14:43 TOI - 2 Giveaways - 1 Takeaway  (San Jose scored 7 goals this game)

Game 3: 0G/0A - 16:27 TOI - 1 Giveaway - 0 Takeaways

He didn't play in Games 1 and 2.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.