Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Hmm. Much more, I think. Someone notes above that there's something vaguely Bieberish about it.

Maybe. I've got some Johnny Depp and Jack White floating around in my head as well. Their faces are not particularly punchable? But the resemblance makes me wanna punch Matthews (not really - but in a metaphorical way).Edit: Yeah. It's Jack White for sure. 

CiDa2YZUgAAV2SX.jpg

Freaky, that's Matthews with long hair. Has that same pig nose thing going on.

As for Dalton, I think it's his fire orange hair that makes his face so punchable.

Laine with a 3 point night last night puts him in a logjam tied for 15th for points and tied for 3rd in goals. He missed one or two practices this week. I think AM is an awesome player but I am happy and glad we have Laine. A humble, confident kid that wants nothing but Ws. I don't know why I dislike Matthews because there is no reason but he reminds me of Brendan Lemieux and I really don't care for him either.

Armia should have had 4 goals last night and a penalty shot too. Both his linemates had 2 grade A scoring chances too. I am not sure about Roslovic but I think Armia turns into the best player we got in that trade. I sure hope we don't lose him to Vegas.

And you guys don't have to feel any resentment towards Matthews, because you won the lottery and moved up to draft Laine, you didn't finish last and have someone jump you. THAT's the type of thing that can lead to some bitterness, at least for a little while :P

First off, congrats on the win last night. Against a team that has had our number too...I see Kaner scored. Who are his linemates nowadays?

He was skating with Reinhart and Bailey.  Reinhart had the primary assist on Kane's goal (shot with uncontrolled rebound that Kane put in the open net).  Although Kane got no assist because he didn't touch the puck, Kane's pressure caused a terrible clearing attempt/pass into the NY slot that Bailey picked up to score his first goal in the NHL.  Kane's speed and tenacity caused that opportunity.

Kane's game has clearly elevated the last handful of games, approaching a point per game for the last 8 or 10. 

Thanks Doohickie. I haven't heard anything about Kaner since charges were dismissed and that is probably a good thing. He should get some points playing with Reinhart.... I know nothing about Bailey.

Matthews has a look about him like he is entitled to something or something. I can't place it. I've stopped watching interviews with him and follow his points totals along with most top rookies. I don't follow the Leafs much at all which is hard to do in Canada because every second headline is a story about them. I don't dislike any Canadian team as much as I do TO. I don't like the Canucks much either though.

Good luck with the Hawks tomorrow, the Jets play FL in less than an hour and I have Pacificos and Red Stripes in the fridge...

Calling for Armia to get one tonight...

Thanks Doohickie. I haven't heard anything about Kaner since charges were dismissed and that is probably a good thing. He should get some points playing with Reinhart.... I know nothing about Bailey.

Matthews has a look about him like he is entitled to something or something. I can't place it. I've stopped watching interviews with him and follow his points totals along with most top rookies. I don't follow the Leafs much at all which is hard to do in Canada because every second headline is a story about them. I don't dislike any Canadian team as much as I do TO. I don't like the Canucks much either though.

Good luck with the Hawks tomorrow, the Jets play FL in less than an hour and I have Pacificos and Red Stripes in the fridge...

Calling for Armia to get one tonight...

Hope your boys do us a favor and beat those cats.

I think in our case, it's simply a statement that we prefer the Rochester 5 on the wings and would rather save that contract space for something else shaking lose.

Matt Nieto is on waivers. I agreed with your post earlier, but that mindset now. A team playing 44 and 27 needs to claim Nieto. I will be furious with Murray if a higher ranked team gets him.

There's something about that face. I'm not sure what it is. Punchable, somehow.

And he reminds me vaguely of a celebrity or some mashup of celebrities -- who also probably have very punchable faces.

Have you seen Jimmy Fallon's superlative segments where they crack wise on NHL players' head shots?

Matt Nieto is on waivers. I agreed with your post earlier, but ###### that mindset now. A team playing 44 and 27 needs to claim Nieto. I will be furious with Murray if a higher ranked team gets him.

You know it's not happening, right? I think it's pretty clear Murray is wholly uninterested in bolstering the forward depth from the outside.

You know it's not happening, right? I think it's pretty clear Murray is wholly uninterested in bolstering the forward depth from the outside.

I think Matt Nieto is better than any of the realistic options available to us at any point in the offseason or via waivers, though, which is why I hoooooope

He claimed Conacher once FFS. Omark too right? Deslauriers AND Grant are getting regular shifts on this team and they have no interest in calling up Baptiste to counter that. And even if they did, they still have one of Grant, Des, or Moulson on the team. 

No good reason not to grab him, Tim.

With their cap situation and contracts, he only makes a move at the deadline if they are making a push or selling off expiring contracts.

I think Matt Nieto is better than any of the realistic options available to us at any point in the offseason or via waivers, though, which is why I hoooooope

He claimed Conacher once FFS. Omark too right? Deslauriers AND Grant are getting regular shifts on this team and they have no interest in calling up Baptiste to counter that. And even if they did, they still have one of Grant, Des, or Moulson on the team. 

No good reason not to grab him, Tim.

Logic on how to manage a losing a season is not the same logic required to build a winning team.  Claiming those players was a short term attempt to upgrade the little talent that was on the roster.  It was basically replacing parts with the same parts hoping one performed slightly better.

Murray is controlling the changes as needed to build this into a long term team.  Bringing in a new piece just to bring in a new piece won't necessarily lead to better things and could disrupt whatever team chemistry exists. What if Moulson's presence on the team accounts for a 10-15% boost in the production of Okposo or another player simply by making it a happier workplace?

The Jim Rutherford article on The Players Tribune spoke volumes about a lot of items no one ever realizes when moves are made.

Logic on how to manage a losing a season is not the same logic required to build a winning team.  Claiming those players was a short term attempt to upgrade the little talent that was on the roster.  It was basically replacing parts with the same parts hoping one performed slightly better.

Murray is controlling the changes as needed to build this into a long term team.  Bringing in a new piece just to bring in a new piece won't necessarily lead to better things and could disrupt whatever team chemistry exists. What if Moulson's presence on the team accounts for a 10-15% boost in the production of Okposo or another player simply by making it a happier workplace?

The Jim Rutherford article on The Players Tribune spoke volumes about a lot of items no one ever realizes when moves are made.

I understand this, but when we're talking about the worst forward to play a regular shift in the NHL, and a speedy PK-er that a cap-strapped cup finals team had to waive, I don't see what the big deal is. What chemistry is being broken by sitting the worst forward to play a regular shift in the NHL? I WANT that chemistry broken. ASAP. And there seems to be a recurring theme on this board recently that some moves that would make the team better now aren't being made because it might hurt them or their growth in the future for some reason, but in almost every instance I fail to see what harm it would cause. Improving the PK now does nothing to hurt us in the future, and will help us win games now. We don't have to be so safe that we stick with what we have and only what we have. Making a small move like a waiver claim will not in any way inhibit our team's growth. And to your example, whatever growth KO has in happiness because MOulson is there is being taken away from Jack's assist column. Seriously. So many puck battles that would be won by any other player, loose pucks reached, defensive zone plays made, etc. 

Teams are making moves and growing now, and we seem afraid. Well, we suck, and Des sucks, and Grant sucks, and Nieto sucks a little less. Improve your trashy team, Tim. 

Team needs speed, and to improve the PK, which are his strengths.

He plays a responsible game that might work in Bylsma system.

And he's a pending RFA who makes peanuts.

According to capfriendly, we only have 44 contracts, so it shouldn't prevent us from deadline moves.

The Larsson injury created an opening and he's got to be an upgrade on Grant.

I'm not seeing a downside to Nieto.

Team needs speed, and to improve the PK, which are his strengths.

He plays a responsible game that might work in Bylsma system.

And he's a pending RFA who makes peanuts.

According to capfriendly, we only have 44 contracts, so it shouldn't prevent us from deadline moves.

The Larsson injury created an opening and he's got to be an upgrade on Grant.

I'm not seeing a downside to Nieto.

There is none. But it'd require Murray to recognize (or admit, for the Murray haters out there) that Grant is not an NHL player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.