OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

We're a few days away from the Summer Olympics. With the Vesey Watch stretching on, with Presidential Primaries over and the long road to the general election just starting, with Kane's court date re-heating the trade thread, and with it being AUGUST IN TAMPA, I thought I'd create a place for fun diversion.

Because I'm a flaming capitalist, I'll link a medal prediction article, with some charts, prepared by none other than Goldman Sachs! No kidding, it's real and it's interesting.

My must sees are woman's volleyball, women's gymnastics, men's basketball, men's track and field, and all swimming. There is no rhyme or reason in those choices. It probably has a lot to do with being raised in the USA. That would be a rhyme or reason, I guess. I digress.

Hop aboard. I'd love to hear stories from your youths if you participated in any of these sports.

http://www.businessinsider.com/goldman-sachs-2016-olympics-medal-predictions-2016-8

post-1462-0-96329700-1470104203_thumb.png

post-1462-0-06225300-1470104215_thumb.png

Edited by N'eo

I'm just disgusted by the outdoor water sports being held in raw sewage.  Ew.

Yeah, I'm kinda worried this Olympics might not go very well.  Hope I'm wrong, but lots of stuff still isn't finished, there have recently been gun battles in the streets, the Olympic Village is a nightmare...

I like the winter Olympics better, but the men's and women's gymnastics is always nothing short of amazing to me.

I was born a poor black child, abducted by the East German Sports Federation and forced to become a synchronized swimmer at age 11. It was there that I met and fell in love with Olga Katereichenhoff until she grew a mustache and routinely bested me at leg wrestling. Still, I was conflicted; great rack and yet 24 inch biceps. I had to draw the line when her voice made Barry White sound like a soprano.

Edit your first post with full editor mode.

You can't imagine what you saved me from .... Grateful.

Fun fact - I couldn't get an apostrophe to stick. I wonder if it "self deleted" in my original tag.

We're a few days away from the Summer Olympics. With the Vesey Watch stretching on, with Presidential Primaries over and the long road to the general election just starting, with Kane's court date re-heating the trade thread, and with it being AUGUST IN TAMPA, I thought I'd create a place for fun diversion.

Because I'm a flaming capitalist, I'll link a medal prediction article, with some charts, prepared by none other than Goldman Sachs! No kidding, it's real and it's interesting.

My must sees are woman's volleyball, women's gymnastics, men's basketball, men's track and field, and all swimming. There is no rhyme or reason in those choices. It probably has a lot to do with being raised in the USA. That would be a rhyme or reason, I guess. I digress.

Hop aboard. I'd love to hear stories from your youths if you participated in any of these sports.http://www.businessinsider.com/goldman-sachs-2016-olympics-medal-predictions-2016-8

Add in water polo & diving & you've got the "must see" list. (And, no, diving & gymnastics aren't real sports. If they're subjectively judged rather objectively timed / scored, they are just really cool athletic spectacles / exhibitions. The participants ARE athletes, they just don't play a "sport.")

That get the fireworks sparking yet? :p

Edited by Taro T

I always get really excited for the Olympics. It is a chance for all the non-mainstream sports to get their time to shine. I of course love the volleyball (mens/womens/indoor/beach), but also the oddball sports like handball, water polo, gymnastics, track & field etc.

that being said, it will be a miracle if something terribly wrong doesn't happen over the next few weeks given the poor conditions and gang related violence nearby. That and the raw sewage/water quality issue puts a black cloud over what should be the pinnacle of sport.

I always get really excited for the Olympics. It is a chance for all the non-mainstream sports to get their time to shine. I of course love the volleyball (mens/womens/indoor/beach), but also the oddball sports like handball, water polo, gymnastics, track & field etc.

that being said, it will be a miracle if something terribly wrong doesn't happen over the next few weeks given the poor conditions and gang related violence nearby. That and the raw sewage/water quality issue puts a black cloud over what should be the pinnacle of sport.

Yeah, I'm pretty sad about the disaster thats about to happen. I love the olympics, for all its overwrought pomp and fanfare. Its great. 

Its a quadrennial (I may have made up that word?) tradition of mine to watch it when I'm up in the Adirondacks in the summer with my family. When everyone goes to bed I stay up late and watch the re-shows of like fencing and weird track sports. Love it.

I was referring to Sochi, which was universally regarded as a joke.  The only difference is the virus.

I don't know. I think Sochi wound up being crappy but in that "in Soviet Russia yada yada" kinda way. Stray dogs. Cheap construction. Kinda funny?

Rio. Rio is something else entirely. Where Russia displaced some poor people in what was already a resort town, Rio is literally a war zone. It could be a human rights emergency. Bad news. 

I don't know. I think Sochi wound up being crappy but in that "in Soviet Russia yada yada" kinda way. Stray dogs. Cheap construction. Kinda funny?

Rio. Rio is something else entirely. Where Russia displaced some poor people in what was already a resort town, Rio is literally a war zone. It could be a human rights emergency. Bad news. 

They did just host a world cup.  Not much has really changed since then except for the virus.

They did just host a world cup.  Not much has really changed since then except for the virus.

The World Cup is such a different animal. That was all over Brazil and used existing infrastructure. They didn't bulldoze entire slums for the World Cup. They didn't need to impose a police state to keep order during the World Cup. 

What are the odds of a terrorist attack? I put them at high to very high. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.