Alex Nylander signs his entry-level deal

Hoss

https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/2016/07/15/sabres-ink-nylander-to-entry-level-deal/

This means he will be in Buffalo or Rochester

SABRES INK NYLANDER TO ENTRY-LEVEL DEAL

BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 15, 2016) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward Alexander Nylander to a three-year, entry-level contract.

“We are extremely pleased to sign Alex to his entry-level deal,” said Sabres General Manager Tim Murray. “When we selected Alex, we obviously knew he was a talented, skilled player. We look forward to him coming to training camp and competing for a job.”

Nylander (6’1”, 178 lbs., 3/2/1998) was the Sabres’ first-round selection (No. 8 overall) in the 2016 NHL Draft. He led all Mississauga Steelhead (OHL) skaters in goals (28), assists (47) and points (75) in 2015-16 and added a team-high 12 points (6+6) in six playoff games. The 75-point output, which also led all OHL rookies, earned Nylander both OHL and CHL Rookie of the Year honors.

The Stockholm, Sweden native represented Sweden in two different tournaments last season and posted more than a point per game in both. He led Sweden’s 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship team with nine points (4+5) in seven games and earned a silver medal while leading Sweden with 11 points (3+8) in seven games during the 2016 IIHF Under-18 World Championship.

Edited by Hoss

I'll take this as a good sign. He's obviously impressed, and even if he doesn't make it to the big club full time, Rochester could certainly use the help. I mean, as long as the arena is good enough to let him play in.

I wonder if this means anything regarding Vesey.

Actually I think all 4 options are still open. We signed Ullmark to his ELC before his Swedish contract expired and left him in Sweden. That said his performance in D Camp was enough to show he is ready for at least AHL duty.

Assuming he goes to Rochester, that adds another top forward. The talented slated for Rochester should make for an exciting Amerks squad.

I think he's going to play for Buffalo a lot more than most think.  I think he plays more than 20 games and even more if there's an injury.  When he does play - if there's a shootout - I believe he'll get a chance to shoot.

I'd still prefer Nylander to start in Sweden next year. The AHL is a super physical league, and he's really not big enough for it (and I don't think he can get there in a couple months). Sweden allows him to play against a higher level of competition than junior and work on his off-puck game, without the physicality of the AHL.

Nylander will barely set foot in Buffalo. He needs to mature and Rochester or Sweden is the best place. He's not ready.

Maybe.

I think Rochester is the best development point for him. I won't be shocked to see him get the nine games in Buffalo throughout the season (his contract can and will slide if he plays a full season in Rochester and less than ten games in Buffalo). I don't think it's fair to say definitively that he's not ready when we know so little. I don't believe he is and, if what I believe and have seen is accurate, I sure hope a majority of his season is spent in Rochester. But none of us can definitively say anything about a kid like Nylander who is extremely skilled. Smaller players play and succeed in the league consistently so we'll see.

And no, playing him in Buffalo (or Rochester for that matter) does not equate to the team "rushing" him. Players play when they're ready. If Nylander, Bylsma, Murray and the franchise as a whole believe he's prepared and his best development would take place in Buffalo then that's where he needs to be. Every player is different. They've each had different experience and gone through plenty of different leagues, programs, tutelage and been raised in different ways.

Daniel Sprong just got more than a cup of coffee with the Penguins (didn't they have a good season or something?). Sprong was taken in the 2nd round in last year's draft, so he played immediately.

Ryan O'Reilly played in his draft year but was very physically mature at that point.

These are just two examples. There are examples of players who lacked "ideal" NHL size like Nylander did who played early and that turned out to be the right decision. I'll trust the decision making of our GM and staffers. If they think he's ready then I'll think they're right. I'm not going to act like I know without a shadow of a doubt whether or not somebody I've never seen more than a few videos of is ready.

This isn't saying people can't have any opinion on his readiness. Of course we all can. I have one and it agrees with the general consensus among fans that he isn't ready. But stating anything definitively is misleading.

Edited by Hoss

I think so, yeah, maybe, probably not?

thanks for clearing that up! Lol

I'd still prefer Nylander to start in Sweden next year. The AHL is a super physical league, and he's really not big enough for it (and I don't think he can get there in a couple months). Sweden allows him to play against a higher level of competition than junior and work on his off-puck game, without the physicality of the AHL.

This would be my choice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.