Alex Nylander signs his entry-level deal

Hoss

Ulmark played there under his ELC. Didn't Karabacek play in Czech?

No on Karabacek.

Outside North America:

"11.19 Loan to Clubs Outside North America. The SPC of any Player may contain a clause that provides that, in the event his NHL Club Loans the Player to a club outside the NHL, during the period of such Loan, the Player shall have the option to be Loaned to a club of his choice outside North America. The clause may relieve the NHL Club of the obligation to pay the Player his Paragraph 1 Salary for the duration of such Loan if such relief is expressly stated in the provision, but the NHL Club shall otherwise be responsible for all other payments due to the Player by the NHL Club pursuant to his SPC. Such clause shall be subject to any applicable Player Transfer Agreement between the NHL and a hockey federation and/or the IIHF in effect, at the time of the Loan. The Player shall be permitted to make financial arrangements for compensation and other benefits with the club outside North America for the duration of the Loan, which financial compensation and benefits shall not be included in Averaged Club Salary, Actual Club Salary, League-wide Player Compensation or the Players' Share. The Club shall be required to provide to the NHL and the NHLPA in accordance with Exhibit 3 any loan agreement entered into in relation to such Loan by no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on the day following the day the Club has received the executed loan agreement."

Note the language refers to specific transfer agreements, etc.

He won't play 20 games in Buffalo. He'll either play 0 games (he's not ready), 9 games - so he gets a taste of the NHL but doesn't burn a year of his ELC, or the whole season if he's ready

I think 9 games should be the minimal expectation for the vast majority of first round draft picks. It's good for young, highly competitive athletes to at least get a taste of what the pro level is like in terms of speed, strength, skills, conditioning, etc...

I think 9 games should be the minimal expectation for the vast majority of first round draft picks. It's good for young, highly competitive athletes to at least get a taste of what the pro level is like in terms of speed, strength, skills, conditioning, etc...

I think there is some risk to exposing players who are legitimately not ready to the NHL game, even for a nine-game stint. Players who are close are able to use it to set certain goals but players who are truly far from the big club may see it as an unattainable goal or get completely knocked off track by the speed/physicality of the game.

I think there is some risk to exposing players who are legitimately not ready to the NHL game, even for a nine-game stint. Players who are close are able to use it to set certain goals but players who are truly far from the big club may see it as an unattainable goal or get completely knocked off track by the speed/physicality of the game.

Watching Samson on his 9 game try out, I have to agree with Hoss, was actually scared someone would level the kid.

True. But it appears there was absolutely no ill-effects on his development. The exact opposite rather.

He looked overmatched, but I don't think he falls into the category of players who were "so far away." He always had the skill and smarts to do it.

I'm not saying he will or that GMTM means he's ready to play.  I do believe what they saw in the camp - made them think he's physically ready to have an opportunity to make the team or get some NHL playing time.

“We are extremely pleased to sign Alex to his entry-level deal,” said Sabres General Manager Tim Murray. “When we selected Alex, we obviously knew he was a talented, skilled player. We look forward to him coming to training camp and competing for a job.”

Edited by 7+6=13

Based on what? His age?

No, the fact his game isn't mature yet, he's not physically ready, and he needs to work on his play away from the puck.

I'm not saying he will or that GMTM means he's ready to play. I do believe what they saw in the camp - made them think he's physically ready to have an opportunity to make the team or get some NHL playing time.

“We are extremely pleased to sign Alex to his entry-level deal,” said Sabres General Manager Tim Murray. “When we selected Alex, we obviously knew he was a talented, skilled player. We look forward to him coming to training camp and competing for a job.”

Of course he gets the opportunity but he's not ready. He's a rw. He's not built for the 4th line and Justin Bailey has that spot. He's not defensively sound enough for the 3rd line and Gionta isn't losing out. 2nd land, please he's gonna beat out Reinhart? And 1st line, yea Nylander is better then Okposo right now lol. I like nylander bUT he's not making the team this season which is perfectly fine. Edited by LGR4GM

Nylander can play either wing. I don't think he is NHL ready either, but a slot on the LW could be available. Lets assume Vesey doesn't sign with us and Kane gets suspended by Gary Bettman, so who are our top 2 LW's at that point? Ennis and Moulson? In that scenario, I think Carrier and Nylander would both get an opportunity to make the team.

Nylander can play either wing. I don't think he is NHL ready either, but a slot on the LW could be available. Lets assume Vesey doesn't sign with us and Kane gets suspended by Gary Bettman, so who are our top 2 LW's at that point? Ennis and Moulson? In that scenario, I think Carrier and Nylander would both get an opportunity to make the team.

In that scenario, Ennis and Girgensons are likely the LWs in the top-6, with Foligno, Moulson, and a prospect or two battling for the last spots.

I wrote earlier that Nylander still has all 4 options available to him (NHL, AHL, OHL and Sweden).  This article confirms that despite his signing his ELC.  http://www.mississauga.com/sports-story/6773516-mississauga-steelhead-alex-nylander-signs-with-buffalo-sabres/

In that scenario, Ennis and Girgensons are likely the LWs in the top-6, with Foligno, Moulson, and a prospect or two battling for the last spots.

I agree on Ennis, but not sure about Girgensons.  If we move him from the 4th line center job, we really don't have an adequate replacement.  COR would be the best option, but he is a AAAA player at best.  I envision a non traditional 4th line next year.  I envision one that gets around 12 minutes a game and is expected to add to the offense.  My hope is that Big Z starts to reach his potential and eventually force Larsson into the 4th line role. 

You forgot about Deslauriers.  IMHO Deslauriers should be the 13th forward and emergency D this season.  I think this scenario and the uncertainty surrounding Vesey is why Kane is still a Sabre.  I figure that GMTM wants to keep all his options open with Kane (legal issues), Ennis (health issues), Moulson (non-performance issues), Nylander (lack of experience), and Vesey (lack of contract & experience) to see how the chips fall in training camp.  

I know GMTM probably wants a PP QB still, but likely won't make a move until he see what he has in Nelson and McCabe and sees how the LW situation resolves itself.  First domino, Vesey Aug 15 or so.

I'm late to the party, but I thought that the 9 games clause didn't apply to Nylander in this case because he wasn't going back to JRs, and that he could play as many game sup here as GMTM/DD want him, if they are sending him back to AHL?  

I think on the 10th game, it counts as a year on his ELC whether it's Juniors or AHL. It's not that you can't send a player back to Juniors after that 10th game (see: Grigorenko), but most teams don't as if you've already burned that ELC year you might as well keep the player up unless it's really not working out (see: Grigorenko).

I'm late to the party, but I thought that the 9 games clause didn't apply to Nylander in this case because he wasn't going back to JRs, and that he could play as many game sup here as GMTM/DD want him, if they are sending him back to AHL?  

Instead of JRs he would go back to Sweden after 9 games, and then his team in Sweden would decide whether or not to loan him to the OHL (likely after their season is over).    

His ELC would kick in only if he stays in BUF after 9 games or they send him to Roch.   

The main thing is that now the Sabres can allow him to play nine NHL games (or more) if they so choose, and if they aren't keeping him on the team, can send him to either Juniors, Rochester, or Sweden at any point they so choose. If they do so before his tenth game, the ELC slides, as Hoss said.

The main thing is that now the Sabres can allow him to play nine NHL games (or more) if they so choose, and if they aren't keeping him on the team, can send him to either Juniors, Rochester, or Sweden at any point they so choose. If they do so before his tenth game, the ELC slides, as Hoss said.

Waitaminute.  If he goes to Rochester he's still on his ELC, innit?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.