Alex Nylander signs his entry-level deal

Hoss

Waitaminute.  If he goes to Rochester he's still on his ELC, innit?

He is. But for players under 20 yo to burn a year of an ELC, they have to be playing in the NHL.

For players 20 yo & older to burn a year of an ELC, they have to be playing professionally under their SPC. (10.2.a.i)

He is. But for players under 20 yo to burn a year of an ELC, they have to be playing in the NHL.

For players 20 yo & older to burn a year of an ELC, they have to be playing professionally under their SPC. (10.2.a.i)

Yup. The ELC can only "slide" twice.

If the Sabres don't want him in Juniors he won't be in Juniors. They can either keep him in Rochester or they could, in theory, tell his Euro team they will send him back there under the condition that they won't loan him to juniors again.

He can play a full season in the AHL for two straight seasons without counting a single year on his ELC. The nine games still applies.

I don't think this is right.   He's on a two-way deal (all ELCs are 2-way), in the Roch he'd make 70k/yr as per his ELC so he would burn a year off his deal... right?

The "Slide Rule" allows players 18 or 19 to get up to a 9 game tryout without activating their contracts.  In fact, Nylander can play 9 games with the Sabres, get returned to the AHL (OHL or whereever) and not activate his ELC.  This is what they did with Girgensons.  The Sabres esssentially got 4 years out of Big Z's ELC.  I figure the same will happen with Nylander.  

If Nylander was 20 his ELC would start as soon as he played for Buffalo or Rochester.  What I don't know is if a contract can slide more the once.  I think it can, because Sam Reinhart received a 9 game tryout the year he was drafted and then there were articles last season about him getting another 9 game tryout. 

The "Slide Rule" allows players 18 or 19 to get up to a 9 game tryout without activating their contracts.  In fact, Nylander can play 9 games with the Sabres, get returned to the AHL (OHL or whereever) and not activate his ELC.  This is what they did with Girgensons.  The Sabres esssentially got 4 years out of Big Z's ELC.  I figure the same will happen with Nylander.  

If Nylander was 20 his ELC would start as soon as he played for Buffalo or Rochester.  What I don't know is if a contract can slide more the once.  I think it can, because Sam Reinhart received a 9 game tryout the year he was drafted and then there were articles last season about him getting another 9 game tryout. 

Correct. His ELC won't activate in Rochester until he's 20. The slide can occur twice for him because he was 18 on September 15th of his signing year.

His cap hit will actually go down if he does indeed slide his deal because signing bonuses are still issued regardless of AHL vs NHL.

Correct. His ELC won't activate in Rochester until he's 20. The slide can occur twice for him because he was 18 on September 15th of his signing year.

His cap hit will actually go down if he does indeed slide his deal because signing bonuses are still issued regardless of AHL vs NHL.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Interesting from Kris Baker

Alexander Nylander will not be joining Sweden U20 at the U.S. NJEC. More details to come. hockeymagasinet.com/hockeynyheter/…

That doesn't sound good.  Wonder what the reasoning is.  Hopefully nothing injury related.

Murray will lend him to Sweden for WJC if he is not in a full time role with the big club.  Sweden knows what he can do and won't decline the offer in December.  Sounds like Alex is focusing on making the NHL this year.  Good luck kid, we are pulling for you.

If we define "not over his head" as contribute offensively and maybe 2nd pp, then I don't think that is a stretch. If we are expecting a 200 ft game that may be a reach.  Th hen again he may never be a 200 ft player.  

His brother hasn't plYed full time for toronto yet - would be surprised if he played more than 9 games as an 18 yr old

What does his brother have to do with this? I do understand they have the same genes and were brought up in a similar environment but they're still completely different. The Great One had an NHL brother, too.

What does his brother have to do with this? I do understand they have the same genes and were brought up in a similar environment but they're still completely different. The Great One had an NHL brother, too.

3 brothers actually (Glen, Brent and Keith). I played against Keith once.  Yes I'm old.

Sam Reinhart has 2 brothers (Max and Griffin).  Max is now going to play in Europe and Griffin can't even make the Edm Oliers as a D. 

I think we got the better Nylander just like we got the better Reinhart.  (This reverses a history of us drafting the lesser brother: Dave Dryden - Expansion draft (Ken), Rick Seiling (Rod), Wayne Primeau (Keith), Steve Patrick (James), Keith Gretzky (Wayne), Marcus Foligno (Nick) ) (Ok we got the better Turgeon, Biron, Miller and Playfair)

Al Pacino says  who ahh

3 brothers actually (Glen, Brent and Keith). I played against Keith once.  Yes I'm old.

Sam Reinhart has 2 brothers (Max and Griffin).  Max is now going to play in Europe and Griffin can't even make the Edm Oliers as a D. 

I think we got the better Nylander just like we got the better Reinhart.  (This reverses a history of us drafting the lesser brother: Dave Dryden - Expansion draft (Ken), Rick Seiling (Rod), Wayne Primeau (Keith), Steve Patrick (James), Keith Gretzky (Wayne), Marcus Foligno (Nick) ) (Ok we got the better Turgeon, Biron, Miller and Playfair)

Brilliant post!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nylander is in a unique position.  He's the last really good prospect we'll be getting, because I'm expecting this team to take off and be firmly in the 15-30 draft spot for the next four years.  I think when Nylander finally becomes an NHL regular is going to have little to do with his actual date of NHL readiness (if such a thing exists).  GMTM is going to want to have Nylander's cheap rookie contract coincide with as many contending years as possible.  It's absolutely imperative that we have a mix of our expensive core (Risto, Eichel, Samson, O'Reilly, Okposo) and cheap young contributors outplaying their price tag by a few orders of magnitude.

Nylander is in a unique position.  He's the last really good prospect we'll be getting, because I'm expecting this team to take off and be firmly in the 15-30 draft spot for the next four years.  I think when Nylander finally becomes an NHL regular is going to have little to do with his actual date of NHL readiness (if such a thing exists).  GMTM is going to want to have Nylander's cheap rookie contract coincide with as many contending years as possible.  It's absolutely imperative that we have a mix of our expensive core (Risto, Eichel, Samson, O'Reilly, Okposo) and cheap young contributors outplaying their price tag by a few orders of magnitude.

I agree. Would love for gmtm to let this guy marinade for a couple of years. If vesey signs that affords us that time. If not i could see him getting a real look this season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.