Alex Nylander signs his entry-level deal

Hoss

Don't think you can keep him in the AHL longer than one year.

All depends on how his development goes.  He is still an 8th overall pick, not top 3 pick.  I don't think it's unheard of to have an 8th overall guy spend 2 post draft years developing.

Ok fine I will do the research.  Pre-Risto I looked at the last 10 8th overall picks and looked to see if they played two post draft years developing.

Derrick Pouliot - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 years)

Sean Couturier - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 years)

Alex Burmistrov - No (played in NHL season following draft)

Scott Glennie - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 years)

Mikkel Boedker - No (played in NHL season following draft)

Zach Hamill - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 years) (also turned into a big bust though)

Peter Mueller - No (only played one season in juniors)

Devin Setoguchi - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 years)

Alex Picard - Yes (only played 6 NHL games in his first 2 years)

Braydon Coburn - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 seasons)

So therefore 7/10 players drafted 8th overall in the years preceding Risto played in a developmental league in the 2 years post draft.  I (and everyone) hopes the kid is special and was a steal at 8th overall but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  We've got some good talent already and the kid weighs 180 pounds soaking wet.  I've got no problem with him playing 2 years in the A unless he's obviously ripping it up.  His own brother even went 8th overall and played the vast majority of the past two years in the minors.

Edited by Derrico

I agree. Would love for gmtm to let this guy marinade for a couple of years. If vesey signs that affords us that time. If not i could see him getting a real look this season.

You show me on what line a guy who has been noted to need to work on his defense would fit. You can toss out lines 3 or 4 because that won't work. So, Kane, Ennis, Zemgus, Reinhart, Okposo, which of them is he beating out for a top 6 winger spot? I could see him getting 9 games but unless he's done a metric ton of work this summer, back to juniors he goes. 

You show me on what line a guy who has been noted to need to work on his defense would fit. You can toss out lines 3 or 4 because that won't work. So, Kane, Ennis, Zemgus, Reinhart, Okposo, which of them is he beating out for a top 6 winger spot? I could see him getting 9 games but unless he's done a metric ###### ton of work this summer, back to juniors he goes. 

Oh for sure I would rather him spend atleast a year or two in juniors as my next posted stated.  Having said that, the kid looks to have some unreal offensive skill.  Ennis is a giant question mark IMO.  Zemgus took a step back last year as well.  Throw in how Kane can play selfish at times and looked good on a third line then there are several spots open IMO.  I could see a world where management puts the kid on a wing with ROR and a somewhat responsible other winger to hope for his offensive wizardly but be sheltered in the D zone.  GMTM has been here 2.5 years now.  I know his 'job' was to finish the tank so really it's only been one year of actually trying to get better.  But don't underestimate the pressure it is for this team to start winning today. It was a big factor in the Kulikov for Pysyk trade IMO.

Oh for sure I would rather him spend atleast a year or two in juniors as my next posted stated.  Having said that, the kid looks to have some unreal offensive skill.  Ennis is a giant question mark IMO.  Zemgus took a step back last year as well.  Throw in how Kane can play selfish at times and looked good on a third line then there are several spots open IMO.  I could see a world where management puts the kid on a wing with ROR and a somewhat responsible other winger to hope for his offensive wizardly but be sheltered in the D zone.  GMTM has been here 2.5 years now.  I know his 'job' was to finish the tank so really it's only been one year of actually trying to get better.  But don't underestimate the pressure it is for this team to start winning today. It was a big factor in the Kulikov for Pysyk trade IMO.

I honestly can not see any world where this season Nylander plays on a wing with ROR and Okposo. 

Come on guys, you know what will happen:  Nylander will make the opening roster, play 9 games and get sent down with a clear idea as to what aspects of his game need work before he can be a real NHLer.  It worked with Samson, not sure how Nylander is any different.

All depends on how his development goes.  He is still an 8th overall pick, not top 3 pick.  I don't think it's unheard of to have an 8th overall guy spend 2 post draft years developing.

Ok fine I will do the research.  Pre-Risto I looked at the last 10 8th overall picks and looked to see if they played two post draft years developing.

Derrick Pouliot - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 years)

Sean Couturier - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 years)

Alex Burmistrov - No (played in NHL season following draft)

Scott Glennie - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 years)

Mikkel Boedker - No (played in NHL season following draft)

Zach Hamill - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 years) (also turned into a big bust though)

Peter Mueller - No (only played one season in juniors)

Devin Setoguchi - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 years)

Alex Picard - Yes (only played 6 NHL games in his first 2 years)

Braydon Coburn - Yes (did not play in NHL first 2 seasons)

So therefore 7/10 players drafted 8th overall in the years preceding Risto played in a developmental league in the 2 years post draft.  I (and everyone) hopes the kid is special and was a steal at 8th overall but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  We've got some good talent already and the kid weighs 180 pounds soaking wet.  I've got no problem with him playing 2 years in the A unless he's obviously ripping it up.  His own brother even went 8th overall and played the vast majority of the past two years in the minors.

Good post.

Interesting that two of the three guys that played right away also flamed out quickly as well.

It will also be interesting to see how the Sabres transition from Moulson and Gionta (and possibly Ennis and Kane) to Nylander, Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, and Carrier over the next year or two.

Murray seems to have set us up well up front with some of the cheap first and second contract players so necessary for sustained excellence.

Interesting that two of the three guys that played right away also flamed out quickly as well.

It will also be interesting to see how the Sabres transition from Moulson and Gionta (and possibly Ennis and Kane) to Nylander, Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, and Carrier over the next year or two.

Murray seems to have set us up well up front with some of the cheap first and second contract players so necessary for sustained excellence.

Good point.  The forward group looks so promising today and in the future.

We just need some (more?) high end D prospects now.

You show me on what line a guy who has been noted to need to work on his defense would fit. You can toss out lines 3 or 4 because that won't work. So, Kane, Ennis, Zemgus, Reinhart, Okposo, which of them is he beating out for a top 6 winger spot? I could see him getting 9 games but unless he's done a metric ###### ton of work this summer, back to juniors he goes.

Rochester, I think.

Good point.  The forward group looks so promising today and in the future.

We just need some (more?) high end D prospects now.

I agree. ROR, Eichel, Okposo, Reinhart, and Nylander are locks for the top 6 into the future. The other spot can be filled by one of Vesey, Ennis, and Kane. Leaving the likes of Bailey, Fasching, and other prospects who blossom to fill in as needed. Plenty of bottom 6 talent with Larsson, Foligno, Baptiste, Girgensons, Asplund, Deslauriers, Carrier, etc.

Especially if Vesey signs, I don't think Murray will be specifically looking to add forward talent unless a whole whack of these guys don't pan out, or they aren't able to mesh together as a team. We are solid at forward.

Future adds probably focus on the defensive side of things.

Zemgus'. Why juniors? He's AHL eligible.

I just don't believe his defense is near good enough to be a top 6 player this season.

Agreed. Allow him time, both games and amount of minutes played, in the minors to improve his game, but most importantly adapt the to speed and level of play in the professional ranks. No reason to rush him in as a top 6 player. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.