Laraque: Sabres trying to trade Evander Kane

Hoss

I just don't see giving up on a guy based on the information thus far.  It may turn out that the evidence will show that he did what is alleged.  I just don't see it yet.  

I am not willing to make the same mistake that Bucky G made with Shady.

As an aside, I have heard rumblings from a friend of mine who still lives in Buffalo who tells me that people at the bar claim that this whole thing is overblown.  I have no idea whether this is true, but it does give me pause before I am ready to trash the guy.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

I have zero interest in trading him.  I know all the stuff that's been said or done in the offseason, but I really like what he brings to our team.  Unless the trade is paramount for the room/culture, you're throwing him for nothing.  Seeing Moulson more and no Kane would make me pissed off.

Why can't he go to Barnes and Noble, buy a coffee and browse a few books? What about joining a health club and taking yoga? There would be plenty of pick ups doing those things.

If he could drink the coffee while doing the yoga, it would show the ladies his flexibility and multitasking skills.

Kane for Fowler? There are a few players in the league with the skill set of Kane, and 1-3 on every team with the skill set of Fowler. 5 on 5 is where Kane is most effective, with Fowler its on the PP. Kane is one of the fastest skaters in the league, likes to hit and drives possession. Fowler has awful analytics and wouldn't have anywhere near the point totals if he wasn't playing with 2.5 SuperStars on the PP. He makes his teammates worse ta boot. His only positive is he is Pysyk with a $4 million dollar cap hit. Now Lindholm and you are talking.

Edited by SpaceAlbatross

Ducks wouldn't take Kane for Fowler even without his off-ice stuff, whether we think the value is right or not.

Larsson got Taylor Hall.

People should watch some Ducks games. Fowler would help this team going forward at least as much as Kane, and I think more.

But right now the Ducks would hang up laughing.

Kane for Fowler? There are a few players in the league with the skill set of Kane, and 1-3 on every team with the skill set of Fowler. 5 on 5 is where Kane is most effective, with Fowler its on the PP. Kane is one of the fastest skaters in the league, likes to hit and drives possession. Fowler has awful analytics and wouldn't have anywhere near the point totals if he wasn't playing with 2.5 SuperStars on the PP. He makes his teammates worse ta boot. His only positive is he is Pysyk with a $4 million dollar cap hit. Now Lindholm and you are talking.

You may gave the best avatar on the board, but this is madness. Every team does not have 1-3 Cam Fowlers. The skating and passing combo is fairly rare. He's not a perfect player, but it's hard to find a perfect $4 million defenseman.

Secondly, I'm tired of "advanced" stats being bastardized. Yea, Pysyk's stats are better...but Pysyk's are also much better than Risto's. Context matters. Much like Risto, Fowler was being tasked with matching up against the opposition's best forwards. That matters. I loved Pysyk and fully believe he would have been a quality second pairing Dman if given the chance, but his numbers simply aren't comparable to Risto or Fowler, and in my humble opinion, he'd have crumbled under equivalent circumstances.

Thanks TrueBlue I always put the eye test ahead of everything, I only mentioned analytics because alot of Gms are into them to different degrees. I have watched enough Ducks games and have seen Fowler play to know he would serve a purpose on our team, but he isn't anything special to me. I just don't think we would be getting fair value for Kane. Especially with his off ice problems we are getting maybe .50 on the dollar. Now if we are talking Shattenkirk or Lindholm then I am all for it even if we have to add a little extra to make it happen. I honestly believe that Fowler is a mid tier second pairing guy who helps your PP but is a liability defensively based on my eye tests. the same eyes that think Risto is a wildy inconsistent player with huge upside, and Gorges is a guy with 2 years to many on his contract.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/46mzkv/evaluating_the_nhls_top_defensemen_and/

Edited by SpaceAlbatross

Now if we are talking Shattenkirk or Lindholm then I am all for it even if we have to add a little extra to make it happen. I honestly believe that Fowler is a mid tier second pairing guy who helps your PP but is a liability defensively based on my eye tests. the same eyes that think Risto is a wildy inconsistent player with huge upside, and Gorges is a guy with 2 years to many on his contract.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/46mzkv/evaluating_the_nhls_top_defensemen_and/

Whhoo weeee Kane getting back Shatty or Lindholm would have most of us overjoyed.

Kane on the wing of a line with Getzlaf And Perry would be scary. The are a perfect fit in my opinion and that would enticing I think to Anaheim. Even if the get rid of Fowler they have 1 too many Defenseman to protect. Bieska has a NMC and needs to be protected then the signed Vatanen and they have Fowler Lindholm and Theodore to protect along with an internal team budget. Lindholm would probably blow that budget and they would still have to leave someone unprotected. I would say Kane, one of Fashing/Carrier/Bailey and a second round pick would get it done. Shattenkirk I have no idea what it would take for us to get? If we get Lindholm and sign him to a long term deal along the same as Risto of (5.5-6.5 AAV) then we would have to move Bogo for cap and expansion purposes. Protect Risto, Lindholm and McCabe. Plus even if we don't sign Vesey we have a logjam of guys ready to step up at Forward and that isn't counting Nylander so we have ammo to get what we need.

I keep seeing the Kane to Vancouver rumor. While it makes sense from a Van point or view, but what do they have for us that would make the deal makes even possible. They don't have the cap space to take on his deal without is either taking a contract back and/or us eating part of his deal. They also don't have any assets that I want other then draft picks.

I might consider Kane for Sbisa (to give them cap relief and to upgrade Franson) plus their 1st next yr and a decent prospect. I think dealing him is also dependant on if we sign Vesey and how guys like Vesey, Bailey, Ennis and Moulson look in camp.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I keep seeing the Kane to Vancouver rumor. While it makes sense from a Van point or view, but what do they have for us that would make the deal makes even possible. They don't have the cap space to take on his deal without is either taking a contract back and/or us eating part of his deal. They also don't have any assets that I want other then draft picks.

I might consider Kane for Sbisa (to give them cap relief and to upgrade Franson) plus their 1st next yr and a decent prospect. I think dealing him is also dependant on if we sign Vesey and how guys like Vesey, Bailey, Ennis and Moulson look in camp.

Kane has to have zero value around the league at this point. And even if he had some, we wouldn't be getting the lotto pick of a team that will probably be bottom 3. Would you have given up our first in 14-15 before the season for Evander even without the off ice stuff that has happened since?

I know it is therapeutic fo some to play trade Kane right now, but it is a huge mistake from the asset management perspective.

You can't sell low a year after you bought high, there's too much potential to regrow the value and the return now will be poor.

Only way he's traded is if the organization has watched the tapes and decided he's poison that needs to be purged.

If that was the case it would have been a quick auction type trade and he would already be gone.

Edited by dudacek

I know it is therapeutic fo some to play trade Kane right now, but it is a huge mistake from the asset management perspective.

You can't sell low a year after you bought high, there's too much potential to regrow the value and the return now will be poor.

Only way he's traded is if the organization has watched the tapes and decided he's poison that needs to be purged.

If that was the case it would have been a quick auction type trade and he would already be gone.

Completely agree.

Sometimes the best move is to cut your loses and move on.

Sometimes. Not sure why that's the case here though.

Kane has performed on the ice. No signs I've seen that he's poisoning the room, or has run out of rope from the coaching staff. Bylsma played the crap out of him and he brought elite speed and forechecking, with an edge and 20 goals.

Trading him at a loss because you are sick of reading about his "antics" helps us win hockey games how?

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.