GDT : Leafs at Sabres 3-25 7pm

WildCard

279 miles. 4 hours 34 minutes.

What kind of "Northeast PA is that? I'm only 320 miles from Buffalo and I live nearly in Delaware! :)

Pinning is a good idea :)

I'm down for Gabriel's Gate for pre-game since i'm in the North Buffalo area anyways. After the game any of the choices around the arena are fine. I'm just worried if MODO does make it he will drink us all under the table before the game even starts  :flirt:  We all don't have that Scandinavian training with the beverages. 

Get training now!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akvavit

Oh good god no

ahh who am i kidding. When in Rome...

The problem with Akvavit in the US is that I don't think they sell it/import it with the higher alcohol content that probably makes it much more drinkable in the Scandinavian countries. I've had Aalborg, but I was underwhelmed. I don't think it was the better 90 proof stuff though. I think it was watered down. 

The problem with Akvavit in the US is that I don't think they sell it/import it with the higher alcohol content that probably makes it much more drinkable in the Scandinavian countries. I've had Aalborg, but I was underwhelmed. I don't think it was the better 90 proof stuff though. I think it was watered down. 

I tried to find some legit Akvavit for your birthday and simply didn't have the funds to import some real stuff. 

I need to try all that stuff again, akvavit, grappa... last time I had a toothful of anything hard like that, I was 15 and didn't drink and felt it all tasted like glorified jet fuel. 

International curl your teeth spirits tasting? I'd be in. 

I tried to find some legit Akvavit for your birthday and simply didn't have the funds to import some real stuff. 

I need to try all that stuff again, akvavit, grappa... last time I had a toothful of anything hard like that, I was 15 and didn't drink and felt it all tasted like glorified jet fuel. 

Oh god. 

I do like grappa. That homebrew stuff was great. 

Oh god. 

I do like grappa. That homebrew stuff was great. 

Haven't had grappa in awhile, what do you recommend out of the liquor stores?  I think the last time i had it was in Vegas... so who knows what the hell I had then.

Haven't had grappa in awhile, what do you recommend out of the liquor stores?  I think the last time i had it was in Vegas... so who knows what the hell I had then.

I've never had anything that was commercially produced. So I couldn't tell you.  :ph34r:

Finger Lakes Distilling makes grappa... tasted like jet fuel to me, but I've no basis for comparison, so it could be good, lol.

Like moonshine without the anise?  No thank you.

Yeahhhhhh... I had it in Italy (Bressanone, northern italy, not sure if that makes a difference in type) and thought it was comparable to just drinking rubbing alcohol. But I was also a kid. My dad choked it down and made a joke about it being tough stuff. I figured it would make a nice molotov cocktail ingredient.

Was curious to see if anyone on here was actually a fan of the stuff. I'm always willing to try again! 

I guess I didn't mind it, but as I understand it you have some grappas that are made the traditional way (the crap leftovers of the grapes being distilled) and then you have some that actually use the grape.  So the comparison tends to be like drinking non-premium tequila and premium tequila.  Non-premium can be up to 49% non-blue agave, premium is 100% agave.  Drinking distilled table sugar is hideous (hell drinking fermented table sugar is)... 

I'm not saying it's the smoothest stuff out there either way but the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.  More stems and crap than anything else.

I guess I didn't mind it, but as I understand it you have some grappas that are made the traditional way (the crap leftovers of the grapes being distilled) and then you have some that actually use the grape. So the comparison tends to be like drinking non-premium tequila and premium tequila. Non-premium can be up to 49% non-blue agave, premium is 100% agave. Drinking distilled table sugar is hideous (hell drinking fermented table sugar is)...

I'm not saying it's the smoothest stuff out there either way but the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason. More stems and crap than anything else.

Nobody liked stems

I'm pretty happy with the 0vrevann I have from Vikre (Minnesota based distillery). It's taffel style and not aged, but it's a nice, herbal clean taste. <$40 at a PA Liquor store. I think I had Aalborg years ago; that was a bit harsher and move caraway. I kinda miss the big caraway, but but the pleasantness over the Vikre is more enjoyable.

http://vikredistillery.com

(please note, I just read the whole wikipedia article which is how I know what taffel style is; I'm not an Aquavit connoisseur).

Edited by MattPie

I'm pretty happy with the 0vrevann I have from Vikre (Minnesota based distillery). It's taffel style and not aged, but it's a nice, herbal clean taste. <$40 at a PA Liquor store. I think I had Aalborg years ago; that was a bit harsher and move caraway. I kinda miss the big caraway, but but the pleasantness over the Vikre is more enjoyable.

http://vikredistillery.com

(please note, I just read the whole wikipedia article which is how I know what taffel style is; I'm not an Aquavit connoisseur).

Oooh nice! This is the sort of thing I like to find. Thanks! 

Also, I want to go visit their distillery- they're right next to a maritime museum. That would be a good, good day. 

I might as well see my Amerks off to Utica

I've been hearing this from from some non hockey people. I know the city has been thwarting the Pegulas' efforts to upgrade the facility, but is this real? Is Lovely and the city council so clueless that they think the Razorsharks can carry that place? I know for a fact that the Amerks are the only faithful rent payers. I also know for a fact that the RBTL were denied lot 5 by the city for a new theatre. Lets revitalize the city by chasing away progress. That's wise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.