GDT : Leafs at Sabres 3-25 7pm

WildCard

Hey guys, question....s ...

How do i know how much to tip ppl that work like servants etc, cabs and stuff.

Anyone that can recommend a good cashcard for phones? so i can surf basicly without using wifi and make phonecalls?

Is there any specific parts i should visit around buffalo other than the city and the falls, please feel free to comment whatever that comes to mind.

15-20% for most services is about typical these days.

I believe you'll need an international data plan to use your phone.  No idea regarding cash cards.

Buffalo in cold weather is tough to suggest tourism options.  The waterfront is awesome in good weather and no place for old men in bad weather.  The Falls has a treasure trove of stuff if there isn't snow on the ground.  Hit all of the state parks around the falls and you will get to see amazing views of the falls themselves, and the best parts of the gorge downstream, which is an amazing place in its own right.  You'll kill a day visiting those state parks and not see it all.  Devil's Hole and Whirlpool state parks will wear you out before you've finished them both.  300' decent into the gorge and then back up and out again.

Hey guys, question....s ...

How do i know how much to tip ppl that work like servants etc, cabs and stuff.

Anyone that can recommend a good cashcard for phones? so i can surf basicly without using wifi and make phonecalls?

Is there any specific parts i should visit around buffalo other than the city and the falls, please feel free to comment whatever that comes to mind.

15-20% for servers and drivers.

Phone cards are usually sold in shops in areas heavily populated by immigrants, like the West Side, but I don't know if they let you do anything other than make calls.

As for what to see and do, what are you into?  Art?  Music?  Architecture?  History?  Etc.

Edited by Eleven

Im into all of that, speak freely please.

Any suggestion is a good one, just gives me more to check out, im gonna spend some days just to see stuff, eat specific american food, talk to ppl, i dont know, whatever that come to mind. :)

Its so weird for us not living in US with this tip thing when its normal for you guys, i totally get it though.

Here in Sweden anyone can buy a simcard with a phonenr connected to it and like 500 mb to sur for, for 10 USD. It doesnt work like that in US ?

Any suggestion is a good one, just gives me more to check out, im gonna spend some days just to see stuff, eat specific american food, talk to ppl, i dont know, whatever that come to mind. :)

Its so weird for us not living in US with this tip thing when its normal for you guys, i totally get it though.

Here in Sweden anyone can buy a simcard with a phonenr connected to it and like 500 mb to sur for, for 10 USD. It doesnt work like that in US ?

You can hit the Buffalo Historical Society, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, and Burchfield-Penney art center all in one day; none of them is especially large, and they're all in the same block.

For live music, I'd recommend Nietzsche's on Allen Street.  They've always got something good going on.  And this website usually has good music listings:  http://www.dailypublic.com/

We talk to strangers here.  Don't be afraid to pull up a barstool and introduce yourself to the people near you.

As for the phone question, I'm afraid I'm of no help.  

If the phone you have supports WiFi, most coffee shops, hotels, & the rink where the Sabres play have free WiFi, so you could surf that way. US phones need an international plan to work outside the US/ Canada; would expect European ones to work similarly; your carrier should be able to let you know.

You also could get a TracFone. You can order one over the internet or get one at Walmart. A smartphone would probably be ~$40 and you could add data/minutes for probably $10-20. If you try to set one up over the internet, you'd want to have 716 as the area code. If you bought it after coming over to Buffalo, that would be automatic.

Albright-Knox Art Gallery is the biggie. The Buffalo Museum of Science is pretty good too.

Wings & beef on 'weck are the must haves here. I'll leave specifics to others as my recommendations are in the South Towns (Bar-Bill & Schwabls respectively) & are a bit of a hike from downtown. For wings, there is a Duff's on Dick Rd pretty close to the airport. Even though there are at least 3 better wing joints, you'll have to hit up Anchor Bar (it's a law, tourists aren't allowed into Buffalo if they don't plan on hitting up Frank & Theresa's place. ;))

If you do the Amerks game, Nick Tahou's isn't too far from the rink (less than a 5 minute drive) & Dinosaur BarBQ is across the road on the other side of the Genesee. Genesee Brew House is a short drive away as well. There's a rooftop patio that has a great view of the Genesee River's high falls.

MODO--also, you MUST try root beer!  (Stay away from its more-strongly-flavored cousin, birch beer.)  It's a soft drink.  Watching Europeans try root beer for the first time is freaking hilarious.  You all can't understand why we drink it, much less enjoy it.

Edited by Eleven

Burch beer is much more delicious.... Ink, you still have tickets?

Birch beer is going to be WAY too much for a European palate.  Trust me.  Just watching them drink root beer is enough fun.

Ink's seat is next to mine.  So beware.

Birch beer is going to be WAY too much for a European palate. Trust me. Just watching them drink root beer is enough fun.

Ink's seat is next to mine. So beware.

Oh boy, with this new information, I will have to pour on the draakar noir and chase you away.

I've never seen a European drunkwroot veer so I will take your word.

MODO,  I know you're not Norwegian.  But will you drunkwroot veer? (As above, I have no idea what that means.)  In the alternative, let's just let you have a crack at root beer.  Again, it's a soft drink.  It's in just about every soda vending machine here.  AND it is so, so funny when Europeans drink it.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, i will for sure visit most. 
Regarding beer, np :) 

Wifi is fine, i just wanted to be able to ride a cab and surf at the same time and was curious if there was a cheap way to do this withouth buying a new phone.

I am still hoping that we can do a pre-gtg for amerks game the 24th in Rochester, still need a good restaurant to set this up so suggestions is warmly welcome.

Cheers, see you guys soon!

^^

We will definitely do a pre game. We'll see how many folks we gather before then. What type of food are you looking for and how much time do we have before the game? I like the food at the Genesee Brewhouse. Best burgers around IMO. The black and blue burger is my favorite. Cereal had a good idea about a thread for the Amerks game. Maybe next Friday we'll start one? That gives everyone a weekend beforehand to decide. I think you'll like WNY. We're friendly peeps.

Edited by iTInSn

Whoa, how did you do that?!

The Amerks game was actually MODOs idea. He's with us after all because of Ullmark. I just happened to have a bunch of extra tickets. There's 4 of us confirmed so far for the 24th. It's upthread a bit. Let us know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.