Cam Fowler Trade Speculation Thread

LGR4GM

Which of those players would you want? I think Bieksa has a NTC.

None.. It was rumored that the price for Fowler was PK Subban.  So, there is no one on the Sabres D that fills that bill and there is no one in the league crazy enough at this juncture to trade that level of player to get Fowler (IMO).  If I am the ANA GM, I'm not losing Fowler ahead of Bieksa, Stoner or Despres.  If I am making a blockbuster trade like that, I do it before the season starts.  It's not like Fowler is a malcontent, ala Kane, this is a $$$$ problem.  They are likely to get worse, not better by trading him at this juncture.  If they are tanking by trade deadline, then sure.  But I do get the issue that Lindholm is a ticking time bomb for them.

Edited by wjag

None.. It was rumored that the price for Fowler was PK Subban.  So, there is no one on the Sabres D that fills that bill and there is no one in the league crazy enough at this juncture to trade that level of player to get Fowler (IMO).  If I am the ANA GM, I'm not losing Fowler ahead of Bieksa, Stoner or Despres.  If I am making a blockbuster trade like that, I do it before the season starts.  It's not like Fowler is a malcontent, ala Kane, this is a $$$$ problem.  They are likely to get worse, not better by trading him at this juncture.  If they are tanking by trade deadline, then sure.  But I do get the issue that Lindholm is a ticking time bomb for them.

Bieksa has a NTC

Stoner is pure crap - good luck finding a team with the cap space and desire.

Despres is signed cheap and long term

Fowler is a UFA in under 2 seasons

He makes the most sense from a trade point of view. I'm sure he is low down on the list of who ANA would want to trade but that's irrelevant. Their back is against a wall. What happens if someone offer sheets Lindholm for 7 million? They have a week to find that cap space and no one is going to be trying to give them 'fair' value for their players then.

Their negotiation position is weak and can only get worse

Bieksa has a NTC

Stoner is pure crap - good luck finding a team with the cap space and desire.

Despres is signed cheap and long term

Fowler is a UFA in under 2 seasons

He makes the most sense from a trade point of view. I'm sure he is low down on the list of who ANA would want to trade but that's irrelevant. Their back is against a wall. What happens if someone offer sheets Lindholm for 7 million? They have a week to find that cap space and no one is going to be trying to give them 'fair' value for their players then.

Their negotiation position is weak and can only get worse

Correct! When someone must sell you don't give them a premium price. With so many teams with limited or no cap space and Ana really unable to take on salary in the trade, they really can't expect a king's ransom for Fowler.

Here is Ana's situation

1) must re-sign Lindholm before 12/1

2) they need over $7 mill in cap space to re-sign Lindholm and only have about $1 mil. Fowler cap hit is only $4. So they need someone to take Fowler and someone else (Stoner? Depres?) or at least another deal. They do have a version of McCormick to go over the cap by $1.6 for LTIR.

3) They are desperate for young forwards as they have 8 forwards over 30.

4) they have two very talented and very ready NHL puck moving D in Theodore and Montour to replace Fowler.

This isn't exactly a recipe to demand a high price for Fowler. Don't expect a Dougie Hamilton return for a 7 year vet with only this season and next left on his contract. Anyone thinking we are going to give up Nylander, our top prospects and heir apparent to Kane or Ennis 1/2 line LW job, is crazy. Ana needs NHL ready forward prospects and some draft picks.

At this point, w Ana's back against the wall, I can see a max offer of a 2nd rd pick and one of our 3 RW prospects and that's about it.

Furthermore, adding Fowler isn't a necessity for us. We already have 4 good D. We need to upgrade Franson, but as a 3rd line guy, Fowler is a luxury.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

We can give them Nylander.

Again:  I'm not saying I want to do so, but we shouldn't pretend that this isn't an option -- I assume Anaheim isn't either.

If you give them Nylander, Lindholm better be coming back.

Theodore would be good to.

Anaheim has been rumored to be asking for a LHD in return as well, I wonder if Jake McCabe has been inquired about given the fact he is signed for 3 years at a very reasonable contract.

I'd keep McCabe over Fowler only for that reason. Since Fowler is a UFA in Eichel/Reinhart's year

Theodore would be good to.

Why'd you quote yourself?  :unsure:

I don't think we can afford to give away two major assets for one at this point honestly. (By major I mean assets better than Baptiste and a second)

Murray spent so goddamn many of them. I love ROR and when Kane is healthy he brings something to this team, but I'm wishing we had about half of the assets we gave away at this point. Our cupboard feels empty because we have the obvious players to keep and then not much else. And we still are a long ways away.

Maybe we can dump Bogosian and sign Shattenkirk? That's a quick fix without losing pieces.

I don't think we can afford to give away two major asYou'llfor one at this point honestly. (By major I mean assets better than Baptiste and a second)

Murray spent so goddamn many of them. I love ROR and when Kane is healthy he brings something to this team, but I'm wishing we had about half of the assets we gave away at this point. Our cupboard feels empty because we have the obvious players to keep and then not much else. And we still are a long ways away.

Maybe we can dump Bogosian and sign Shattenkirk? That's a quick fix without losing pieces.

Whoa big fella, you don't want to go there.  Trust me.  First rounders all flop after the first two.  You'll learn.   :flirt:

I don't think we can afford to give away two major assets for one at this point honestly. (By major I mean assets better than Baptiste and a second)

The mere though of this...ahem...excites me.

Whoa big fella, you don't want to go there. Trust me. First rounders all flop after the first two. You'll learn. :flirt:

If by "all flop after the first two" you actually mean "late 1sts are a coin flip to make the NHL, and if they do, their likely outcome is a 3rd liner" then yes!

I kid you not.

Last night I had a dream fowler was traded to the leafs, for some prospect that I'm sure my mind made up.

Then Matthews and nylander were both on TV wearing Hartford whalers Jersey poking fun at Buffalo.

Very odd

And Buffalo was naked and feeling very shamed?

Sooooo Reinhart? :angel:

I've been watching the Ducks games to see how Fowler has been playing. Don't kid yourselves, he's not coming cheap even if he's the one to truly get moved. He's arguably the best defender they have right now.

Sooooo Reinhart? :angel:

I've been watching the Ducks games to see how Fowler has been playing. Don't kid yourselves, he's not coming cheap even if he's the one to truly get moved. He's arguably the best defender they have right now.

Well that's because Lindholm isn't playing ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.