Cam Fowler Trade Speculation Thread

LGR4GM

Here it is folks, the everything to do with the Cam Fowler rumors thread. Just to update:

Rumor is that Buffalo is willing to trade Ennis OR Zemgus plus Pysyk OR a pick for Fowler. The catch might be Anaheim wants #8 for Fowler which the Sabres have said no to. 

I think the Sabres should say no to that because I can draft a Cam Fowler at #8 overall in this years draft. 

Have at it!

The Sabres cannot draft a Cam Fowler in today's draft.

They can draft a guy who has a good chance of being Cam Fowler in 4-6 years.

Don't interpret that as me wanting to trade eight, just be aware of how long it will take for this kid to make an impact and that he has just as much chance of being Darnell Nurse as he does Risto.

No way on Earth should they trade the pick.

Ennis/Zemgus & Pysyk I could get behind.  Fowler upgrades Pysyk and the #8 fills the pipeline.  Ennis/Zemgus are expendable, especially if they are going to drop Vesey into the top 6.  I think Girgensons would be the player the Ducks really want. I see him fitting in with Getzlaf/Perry types.

Don't interpret that as me wanting to trade eight, just be aware of how long it will take for this kid to make an impact and that he has just as much chance of being Darnell Nurse as he does Risto.

1-3 years

Yeah, this is where I'm ending up, too. I'd still much rather have my cake and eat it, too. If we can get Fowler, make the pick, and Vesey signs I'll consider this a pretty successfully offseason already.

Correct, because we're drafting Nylander :p

He also has the ability to be Duncan Keith as opposed to Cam Fowler.  The 3 year thing is a bit overblown.  If there is a spot, I forsee any of the three with the possible exception of Juolevi being in the lineup in 2017-2018.  Elcs are the new standard and the top end guys are closer than ever.

BUF amongst a number of teams interested in Fowler, but Sabres not believed to be keen on giving up No. 8 pick in the draft.

#Sabres and #Ducks talking heavily on Fowler. GMTM won't get specific, but source says another talk with Bob Murray set for Fri AM.

Those are the credible or at least not totally FoS sources on this. There were some rumor sites last night claiming that we traded Ennis and #8 for Fowler and something but it isn't legit or at least wasn't corroborated

Correct, because we're drafting Nylander :P

#LovingJostTheMost

BUF amongst a number of teams interested in Fowler, but Sabres not believed to be keen on giving up No. 8 pick in the draft.

#Sabres and #Ducks talking heavily on Fowler. GMTM won't get specific, but source says another talk with Bob Murray set for Fri AM.

Those are the credible or at least not totally FoS sources on this. There were some rumor sites last night claiming that we traded Ennis and #8 for Fowler and something but it isn't legit or at least wasn't corroborated

#LovingJostTheMost

Juolevi, Nylander, Sergachev, Jost, Chychrun, Keller would be my top realistic six for #8!

He also has the ability to be Duncan Keith as opposed to Cam Fowler.  The 3 year thing is a bit overblown.  If there is a spot, I forsee any of the three with the possible exception of Juolevi being in the lineup in 2017-2018.  Elcs are the new standard and the top end guys are closer than ever.

Duncan Keith was drafted in 2002, made the team in 2005 had his first 40 point season in 2009.

Honestly, if you were a Ducks a fan would you be satisfied w/ Ennis or Girgensons + Pysyk for Fowler? 

Well if you are a ducks fan you know you can't keep all the defenders you got. So you want Lindholm over Fowler. As a ducks fan I would want Zemgus because he can score and he can play center. Pysyk can plug the whole in your bottom pair. Honestly though I would want a pick (3rd rounder?) to sweeten it as a fan. 

No way it's one year. Ekblad and a few others excepted, defencemen take time.

It took Risto three years to be as good as Fowler is today.

Chances are the guy at eight won't be a precocious as Risto.

I generally agree with this. If we go D in the draft, the timeline dictates they are unlikely to be in our top-4 on our first trip to the playoffs or two.

But!

There's also no guarantee we go defense in the draft; could also use the pick in a different trade (though I do think Murray's hesitancy to trade the pick is general in nature, not specific to Fowler). Besides, exceptions happen, and if there's one thing I love it's banking on statistical exceptions! ;)

Duncan Keith was drafted in 2002, made the team in 2005 had his first 40 point season in 2009.

That was 14 years ago....

And Fowler Duncan Keith was drafted 54th overall. 

It could absolutely take 4 years for the #8 pick to be as good as Fowler but he also has the very real potential to be better than Fowler. The question is, is Fowler worth giving up that and something else like Zemgus or Ennis? 

Edited by LGR4GM

Well if you are a ducks fan you know you can't keep all the defenders you got. So you want Lindholm over Fowler. As a ducks fan I would want Zemgus because he can score and he can play center. Pysyk can plug the whole in your bottom pair. Honestly though I would want a pick (3rd rounder?) to sweeten it as a fan. 

Must admit I didn't know the Ducks cupboard had too many defensemen. If I were a Ducks fan I'd want Girgensons over Ennis. Mainly due to the concussion. But you also gotta wonder if Ennis could survive in the west. 

And Fowler was drafted 54th overall.

It could absolutely take 4 years for the #8 pick to be as good as Fowler but he also has the very real potential to be better than Fowler. The question is, is Fowler worth giving up that and something else like Zemgus or Ennis?

If I'm Murray and I finally bite on #8, that's all they're getting from me. I think they'd still want more.

I know Murray has a reputation for getting his guy, but I wonder if this negotiation is the one where he draws his own line in the sand.

If I'm Murray and I finally bite on #8, that's all they're getting from me. I think they'd still want more.

I know Murray has a reputation for getting his guy, but I wonder if this negotiation is the one where he draws his own line in the sand.

Would you do.... Ennis, #8 and #69 for Fowler, #24, and #30?

Part of me wonders if he "gives in" it'll lead to other GM's having the feeling they can also go for more when in talks w/ Murray. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.