Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I might cut my toenails tonight. I want to look good. You need that one week for them to grow out and round out again. Not sure about trimming the hair on the toes though. What do you do?

Not a hairy guy by any means, though I always forget to cut my toes nails. I doubt they grow that fast though

I disagree. Chicagos window is rapidly closing and the only line that would work is Toews line. Considering Chicago won't really be able to pay for a 2nd contract and it's top line minutes unsheltered or bust, I'd avoid them.

Chicago is still a powerhouse with a ton of talent.  If Vesey plays on their top 6, he'll play with great linemates, get lots of leaguewide exposure and probably make a few deep playoff runs -- which will set him up for a huge 2nd contract, either with Chicago or elsewhere.

I disagree. Chicagos window is rapidly closing and the only line that would work is Toews line. Considering Chicago won't really be able to pay for a 2nd contract and it's top line minutes unsheltered or bust, I'd avoid them.

I have a good friend that is a Hawks fan.  We have this discussion off and on.  Chicago manages to improve their roster every year even with those salaries.  They have let go important pieces the last few years and still are highly competitive,   Adding a young Vesey would allow them to continue...  My money is on Chicago..

Eh probably not. Think Boston is near the top of his list.

I'll be stunned if he chooses Boston. Of all teams in the running, that team would give him the worst chance to earn a big contract at the end of his ELC.

Closing, sure. But rapidly? I disagree.

In fact, a two-year window with the Hawks would suit Vesey perfectly.

Chicago is still a powerhouse with a ton of talent.  If Vesey plays on their top 6, he'll play with great linemates, get lots of leaguewide exposure and probably make a few deep playoff runs -- which will set him up for a huge 2nd contract, either with Chicago or elsewhere.

Agreed.

And it occurs to me: Vesey will be ~25 when he's done with his first deal. Would a 25 year-old want to shoot for a bridge deal? Hell no. He's going to want a max deal (assume 7 years) - his one big deal.

My bet is that he's going to sign somewhere where he's likely to command that sort of deal from a team. Chicago seems like the clear front-runner in order to achieve that goal.

I've not heard any talk of the Penguins. I do wonder if they are also in the mix.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This place is going to be hilarious when he doesn't sign on day one.

Really?

I think there'll be a fair amount of *meh*. That's already where I'm at. Any piss and vinegar I had on the subject was released at some point after he didn't sign when we acquired his rights (and when I started reading his agent's statements about how multiple NHL teams were going to come meet with them in Boston in mid-August).

Really?

I think there'll be a fair amount of *meh*. That's already where I'm at. Any piss and vinegar I had on the subject was released at some point after he didn't sign when we acquired his rights (and when I started reading his agent's statements about how multiple NHL teams were going to come meet with them in Boston in mid-August).

52 pages Smell. 52 pages. 

There will be many rustled jimmies. 

Chicago is still a powerhouse with a ton of talent.  If Vesey plays on their top 6, he'll play with great linemates, get lots of leaguewide exposure and probably make a few deep playoff runs -- which will set him up for a huge 2nd contract, either with Chicago or elsewhere

If I were him, the thing I would be concerned about with Chicago is their long term commitment to me. Could I end up playing well for two years and shipped off to a team I don't want to play for for a younger/cheaper player.

If I were him, the thing I would be concerned about with Chicago is their long term commitment to me. Could I end up playing well for two years and shipped off to a team I don't want to play for for a younger/cheaper player.

What's his status after that two years, though?  Isn't he a UFA?  If so, they can't ship him off.  They can sign him to new contract (up to 8 years), trade his rights (which expire when free agency opens up) or let him walk.  Either way, he gets to choose where he goes (or stays, if Chicago wants him.)

Edited by carpandean

I have a good friend that is a Hawks fan.  We have this discussion off and on.  Chicago manages to improve their roster every year even with those salaries.  They have let go important pieces the last few years and still are highly competitive,   Adding a young Vesey would allow them to continue...  My money is on Chicago..

I'll be stunned if he chooses Boston. Of all teams in the running, that team would give him the worst chance to earn a big contract at the end of his ELC.

Closing, sure. But rapidly? I disagree.

In fact, a two-year window with the Hawks would suit Vesey perfectly.

Agreed.

And it occurs to me: Vesey will be ~25 when he's done with his first deal. Would a 25 year-old want to shoot for a bridge deal? Hell no. He's going to want a max deal (assume 7 years) - his one big deal.

My bet is that he's going to sign somewhere where he's likely to command that sort of deal from a team. Chicago seems like the clear front-runner in order to achieve that goal.

I disagree across the board. 

Chicago is a good team, but his only shot at a top 6 role is as a top 3 player. He isn't taking Panarin's spot with Kane on the 2nd line. I think in the next 2 years Chicago will make 1 deep playoff run which means conference or cup finals, the other year they are bounced early. Chicago does not manage to improve their roster every year. They have managed to maintain their forward ranks but their defense isn't deep at all. They would need to address that. Further to the point has Chicago improved their roster at all this off season?  

Panarin will be up for a new deal this year, if they give him big bucks say 7 or 8 million, I don't see them giving a 3rd winger a big money deal because they should know that centers are more important. So that could mean that after 2 years you either have to sign a bridge deal or you get less money from a team that controls your rights because they can. The alternative is they trade you to whoever the hell they want. Now if you believe the cap will increase substantially then maybe you make that deal.

After his 2 year deal Jimmy Vesey will be a RFA for the Hawks. he can't just up in leave which means the Hawks control how much they want to pay him and where he goes to play. So yea, Jimmy may want to get paid in 2 years but I don't think the Hawks will be the team to commit to a 8 year deal for him. I don't think the hawks will have the cap space for him unless they are okay with their defense suffering, I don't think if I were Vesey I would want to go to Chicago if my 2nd contract was important to me. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.