Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

If Vesey wants exposure, a shot at a cup, and isn't concerned about who pays him after those 2 years, then he should go to Chicago. 

What's his status after that two years, though?  Isn't he a UFA?  If so, they can't ship him off.  They can sign him to new contract (up to 8 years), trade his rights (which expire when free agency opens up) or let him walk.  Either way, he gets to choose where he goes (or stays, if Chicago wants him.)

He's an RFA after his entry level deal. 

He's an RFA after his entry level deal. 

Will he just be an ordinary RFA? Dude's gonna be fairly ancient at that point.

If he is essentially bound to Chicago at that point in time, then I'm less sure that he's signing there. I thought he'd have more mobility than your typical RFA because he'd be so old by that point in time.

Okay. So I still think Chicago (or maybe Pittsburgh?) is a leading contender. But Buffalo as an up-and-comer with room for him down the line may be the perfect fit.

I disagree. Chicagos window is rapidly closing and the only line that would work is Toews line. Considering Chicago won't really be able to pay for a 2nd contract and it's top line minutes unsheltered or bust, I'd avoid them.

Its not like Kane and Toews are near the end of their careers. They could play for the next decade.

Will he just be an ordinary RFA? Dude's gonna be fairly ancient at that point.

If he is essentially bound to Chicago at that point in time, then I'm less sure that he's signing there. I thought he'd have more mobility than your typical RFA because he'd be so old by that point in time.

Okay. So I still think Chicago (or maybe Pittsburgh?) is a leading contender. But Buffalo as an up-and-comer with room for him down the line may be the perfect fit.

He'll be 25. 

Its not like Kane and Toews are near the end of their careers. They could play for the next decade.

And will Kane and Toews be on cost controlled contracts? They can play for as long as they want but they are getting paid the big money and that means that someone else can't get paid the big money. What about Panarin? He's gonna get paid if he puts up another monster year with Kane. 

How about look at it this way. Toews, Kane, Seabrook, and Keith make up 33.413million  in cap. That equals about 45% of the current cap. Panarin will have to get paid but let's say the cap goes up to 80million by the time Vesey comes due (I think 80million is high because a lot of hockey is boring due to lack of rule enforcement which will keep casual fans away and revenue growth lower). You got 33million for those 4 plus let's say 7mil for Panarin. At this point you have 5 players making 40.413 or just about 50% of your cap and you are going to turn around and pay another guy 5-7million? I just don't think that math works well if you want to field a competitive team.

Btw if you add up all the players they already have committed to the roster for 2018, including Panarin and his 7mil, you get 63.418million tied up in 9 players. You need to sign 14 more players with an estimated 16.582million meaning that at most Vesey gets a quarter of that pie or around 4-5million for contract two. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I hope you're right but I'm skeptical.

I'm curious to hear why you're optimistic, if you'd like to elaborate.

Liger covered most of my reasoning for Chicago (I agree with the consensus that they're the biggest threat). What if he's just the next Brandon Saad? Has a great couple years, signs a nice contract...but gets banished to hockey purgatory in two years. I think location is very important to Vesey, as is control. He risks a good deal on that front by going to Chicago. Further, Hossa has clearly lost a step or two offensively and Toews is coming off his worst non-rookie year offensively, and that line faces the toughest competition. I don't think a huge offensive season is guaranteed there at all. Lastly, Quenneville doesn't exactly have a history of patience with rookies. I don't think it'd take a lot to earn a spot on his dog house.

I think the Sabres offer the best combination of offensive opportunity, growth potential, winning, and long term stability. ROR is likely to continue to do the heavy lifting defensively, allowing Jack's line prime scoring matchups. Though we're gunning for playoffs this year, we can still afford to be patient with Vesey's growing pains. With Kane's troubles and his contract, assuming Vesey performs, I think there's an extremely small chance we trade him to Siberia due to cap concerns.

And yea, I think over the next five years or so, we win more playoff series than Chicago. Bring it.

He will be signing with Buffalo on 8/18 or 8/19:

Nothing earth shattering here, but, as you all probably know, Jack has kind of left Vesey alone in this decision throughout the summer. Jack isn't the type of guy to push an agenda. He's answered a few questions about Buffalo for Jimmy, but that's about it. Jimmy hasn't visited Buffalo with him BUT Jack and Samson "do have room in their condo for one more player." Jack might have a commitment today and not be able to make the beer league game, but, if he does play, he's going to basically wish him luck for next Monday and say "he would love for him to join the Sabres." If he can't make the game, he's texteing him something similar.

Looking at the contenders:

BUF - seems like a perfect fit, and we have the advantage of (a) meeting him early and (b). If you didn't see the video of Jimmy being the first person to confront the player who kneed Jack, you should watch it. I personally think he's coming to Buffalo and haven't heard anything saying otherwise

BOS - hometown yes but hometown pressure too. His Father and Jimmy Hayes have told him to avoid Boston. The team isn't on an upswing either. Still, it is his home team and there seems to be room for a 2nd line LW (Marchant being 1st line) to play with Krejci. Krejci had 63 points last year but is 30, whereas Jack isn't even 20

TOR - Dad works there and brother drafted there. In saying that, he's not going there - high tax rates and TOR has Van Riemsdyk and Lupul at LW and a lot of LW prospects. Also, TOR isn't in a win now mode.  His brother isn't as good as Jimmy, prob plays all 4 years in college and becomes an UFA.

CHI - Would only have to beat out Fleishmann (UFA right now) for 2nd line minutes. BUT, Chi isn't on the East coast and doesn't have a sterling record on keeping players in their 2nd contract. Vesey would have to be concerned with being shipped out to EDM, CLB or some other not so great city after his 2nd year when he's still a RFA. 

PIT - Seems to be room for a second line winger here behind Kunitz. Hasn't been much talk of Vesey to PIT, but, the would be on my short list if I was him.

NYR - Chatter about him possibly here due to connections with Drury and their ass't GM.  Team on downswing and Vesey doesn't seem like a NYC type of guy

PIT is OVER the cap at the moment by nearly 3 mil. They cannot offer him max ELC bonus incentives because of this.

So unless they trade Fluery before the 15th, he's likely not going there.

Is August 15th the day in which teams need to be under the cap? Doubt it. If he wants to go there, he will.

He will be signing with Buffalo on 8/18 or 8/19:

Nothing earth shattering here, but, as you all probably know, Jack has kind of left Vesey alone in this decision throughout the summer. Jack isn't the type of guy to push an agenda. He's answered a few questions about Buffalo for Jimmy, but that's about it. Jimmy hasn't visited Buffalo with him BUT Jack and Samson "do have room in their condo for one more player." Jack might have a commitment today and not be able to make the beer league game, but, if he does play, he's going to basically wish him luck for next Monday and say "he would love for him to join the Sabres." If he can't make the game, he's texteing him something similar.

Looking at the contenders:

BUF - seems like a perfect fit, and we have the advantage of (a) meeting him early and (b). If you didn't see the video of Jimmy being the first person to confront the player who kneed Jack, you should watch it. I personally think he's coming to Buffalo and haven't heard anything saying otherwise

BOS - hometown yes but hometown pressure too. His Father and Jimmy Hayes have told him to avoid Boston. The team isn't on an upswing either. Still, it is his home team and there seems to be room for a 2nd line LW (Marchant being 1st line) to play with Krejci. Krejci had 63 points last year but is 30, whereas Jack isn't even 20

TOR - Dad works there and brother drafted there. In saying that, he's not going there - high tax rates and TOR has Van Riemsdyk and Lupul at LW and a lot of LW prospects. Also, TOR isn't in a win now mode. His brother isn't as good as Jimmy, prob plays all 4 years in college and becomes an UFA.

CHI - Would only have to beat out Fleishmann (UFA right now) for 2nd line minutes. BUT, Chi isn't on the East coast and doesn't have a sterling record on keeping players in their 2nd contract. Vesey would have to be concerned with being shipped out to EDM, CLB or some other not so great city after his 2nd year when he's still a RFA.

PIT - Seems to be room for a second line winger here behind Kunitz. Hasn't been much talk of Vesey to PIT, but, the would be on my short list if I was him.

NYR - Chatter about him possibly here due to connections with Drury and their ass't GM. Team on downswing and Vesey doesn't seem like a NYC type of guy

You've been certain about this. So when he doesn't will there be some sort of ramification? Quite frankly, posters making ascertations when they have no knowledge as if its fact is annoying and a waste of everyones time.

You've been certain about this. So when he doesn't will there be some sort of ramification? Quite frankly, posters making ascertations when they have no knowledge as if its fact is annoying and a waste of everyones time.

It's all opinion here, unless otherwise stated as a known fact (for example: BRAWNDO knowing what a young prospect ate for lunch). I have no problem with someone stating their opinion with absolute certainty. I've got my salt shaker handy.

At this point I'm wondering what will happen if he does sign here and then doesn't immediately start scoring "enough".  How quickly will the torches and pitchforks come out? 

This is an excellent point.  Most of these college free agents don't turn into high-end NHLers. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.