Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

You've been certain about this. ... Quite frankly, posters making ascertations when they have no knowledge as if its fact is annoying and a waste of everyones time.

It's all opinion here, unless otherwise stated as a known fact (for example: BRAWNDO knowing what a young prospect ate for lunch). I have no problem with someone stating their opinion with absolute certainty. I've got my salt shaker handy.

After discussing things over with his family and agent, he's narrowed his list down to 6 teams:  guessing BUF, BOS, CHI, NYR, NJ, TOR.  Last night was Vesey's last game with Jack before 8/15

I defended the right to state hot-takes as facts upthread, but it really would help if you would distinguish between the two. Just tagging on an "IMO" would do the trick. OTOH, if you're saying these are facts, then a cite (if not a link) to a source would help greatly.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Not that I care too much about this whole thing.. but I find this interesting: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-news-rumours-veseys-list-wisniewski-signs-pto/

And the quote from his agent.

“What Jimmy wants to do is see it through,” said Fish. “He’s wanted to go to free agency and he’s going to see it through. There’s about 4-5 teams other than Buffalo that he wants to hear from. And then after that he’s going to make a decision. I think he’d love for the Bruins to be one of those teams. I assume that we will be taking a call from them.

So, when the agent says that he hopes the Bruins will contact them... isn't that frowned upon?

Chara, Lucic, Ovechkin all booed for their transgressions against the Sabres. To this day. If they carted THE fax machine out there during intermission, fans would boo it too. I don't know how this is even arguable.

Any player ever talk junk on Buffalo, that guy is getting booed. Looking at you Joffrey.

Well yeah, they drilled our guys. I don't recall booing Brad Richards, and we were pretty nice to Brier and Drury IIRC. I doubt we boo Stamkos either

ANA still boos Justin Schultz, every single time he touches the puck.    I've been at games as recently as this past season, and it still happens.   Even tho it occured 4 years ago ANA fans are still bitter he didn't choose them .    

The difference is ANA actually drafted him.. so ANA is more like NSH in this case than BUF, but those wounds still run deep in Ducks land.... and I wouldn't call those fans the most passionate bunch in the league either.

Edited by pi2000

If people want to boo Vesey, boo him. Why do we need a reason why? If he plays for another team I can boo him. I could boo John Smith the 4th line grinder on Example Team Here and I don't need a reason.

I already boo him when I watch the Foxboro league videos.... and I'll boo him whenever I see him play here in ANA.    Retrospectively, I'm actually booing the process that allowed him to take the stance that he is.    At no point should a player who was drafted be able to choose which team he signs with until they earn UFA status by accruing actual NHL seasons played.

If people want to boo Vesey, boo him. Why do we need a reason why? If he plays for another team I can boo him. I could boo John Smith the 4th line grinder on Example Team Here and I don't need a reason.

Did Vegas not get permission to use Knights?

Did Vegas not get permission to use Knights?

Apparently the rights to the name "Knights" in Canada belongs to the OHL's London franchise.   However that flies in the face of the Rangers and Hurricanes who also have NHL teams of the same names, so I don't know what's so special about London's use of "Knights" that precludes LV from using the same name for their NHL franchise. 

I defended the right to state hot-takes as facts upthread, but it really would help if you would distinguish between the two. Just tagging on an "IMO" would do the trick. OTOH, if you're saying these are facts, then a cite (if not a link) to a source would help greatly.

Not that I care too much about this whole thing.. but I find this interesting: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-news-rumours-veseys-list-wisniewski-signs-pto/

And the quote from his agent.

Ah - there it is. Thanks.

Chara, Lucic, Ovechkin all booed for their transgressions against the Sabres. To this day. If they carted THE fax machine out there during intermission, fans would boo it too. I don't know how this is even arguable.

Any player ever talk junk on Buffalo, that guy is getting booed. Looking at you Joffrey.

Chara and Lucic yes. Ovechkin? I've been to two Washington games here in Buffalo and have never heard him booed.

But yea, Vesey will get booed if he doesn't sign here.

Apparently the rights to the name "Knights" in Canada belongs to the OHL's London franchise. However that flies in the face of the Rangers and Hurricanes who also have NHL teams of the same names, so I don't know what's so special about London's use of "Knights" that precludes LV from using the same name for their NHL franchise.

This isn't the thread for it and he was joking about the Vegas Knights name but the Kitchener Rangers were owned by the Rangers. Unclear how Carolina got to use the Hurricanes name, though. Probably just bought the rights which is something Vegas can do but the owner said it's too expensive.

Chara and Lucic yes. Ovechkin? I've been to two Washington games here in Buffalo and have never heard him booed.

But yea, Vesey will get booed if he doesn't sign here.

This isn't the thread for it and he was joking about the Vegas Knights name but the Kitchener Rangers were owned by the Rangers. Unclear how Carolina got to use the Hurricanes name, though. Probably just bought the rights which is something Vegas can do but the owner said it's too expensive.

I'm not sure Ovechkin still gets boos as much, but for awhile after he boarded Briere into the bench door they were loud. IIRC, after he scored a goal in a 6-1 Sabers win he held up his hand to his ear as if to say, "More boos, I love it".

Why Buffalo? GMTM had 4 3rd round picks to use. Why not take a gamble? There was not la ong term expectation Vesey would be a Sabre. Predator fans thought he'd be playing for Nashville in the playoffs as a top 6 forward. Vesey's decision to not sign w/ the Predators came from left field. A shocker so to speak. There's no reason for Sabres fans to have a strong sense of dislike for the guy. If Vesey signs w/ the Sabrs, great. If not, who cares? There was no high, long term expectation he would.

I agree with your general point, but I also understand the view point of fans who would want to boo him, or feel slighted. Is booing him irrational? Probably, he didn't ask to be traded here. But being a fan of a professional sports team is pretty irrational in some ways, on its own. His rights were owned by the Sabres, and he actively chose against signing in Buffalo after being pitched, when we were the only team that had his rights.

If people want to boo him, go ahead, it's understandable. If they don't that's fine too. But arguing against booing an athlete at a sporting event is akin to arguing about characters not obeying the laws of physics in a superhero movie. There are premises at work here that already have to be accepted as is, as, I don't know, unconventional.

Well yeah, they drilled our guys. I don't recall booing Brad Richards, and we were pretty nice to Brier and Drury IIRC. I doubt we boo Stamkos either

And Stamkos is different because we didn't own his rights. It's a small detail, but it is a relevant distinction in how fans might feel.

Why Buffalo? GMTM had 4 3rd round picks to use. Why not take a gamble? There was not la ong term expectation Vesey would be a Sabre. Predator fans thought he'd be playing for Nashville in the playoffs as a top 6 forward. Vesey's decision to not sign w/ the Predators came from left field. A shocker so to speak. There's no reason for Sabres fans to have a strong sense of dislike for the guy. If Vesey signs w/ the Sabrs, great. If not, who cares? There was no high, long term expectation he would.

sabres fans have every right to boo this guy. The sabres did everything to convince this guy to sign here and he blows them off to go somewhere else. The sabres went above and beyond others by actually trading for his rights to convince him to come here and he says he would rather go elsewhere. If you can't boo this guy, who can you boo?

I agree with your general point, but I also understand the view point of fans who would want to boo him, or feel slighted. Is booing him irrational? Probably, he didn't ask to be traded here. But being a fan of a professional sports team is pretty irrational in some ways, on its own. His rights were owned by the Sabres, and he actively chose against signing in Buffalo after being pitched, when we were the only team that had his rights.

If people want to boo him, go ahead, it's understandable. If they don't that's fine too. But arguing against booing an athlete at a sporting event is akin to arguing about characters not obeying the laws of physics in a superhero movie. There are premises at work here that already have to be accepted as is, as, I don't know, unconventional.

And Stamkos is different because we didn't own his rights. It's a small detail, but it is a relevant distinction in how fans might feel.

exactly, Stamkos resigned with his existing team, he never had a chance for the sabres to make a pitch or show their interest in him cause he was property of the lightning. Richards you could argue because they madebtheir pitch and he chose someone else,but he wasn't rude about it.

Atleast those guys had a resume to back themselves up. This guy is a nobody in the nhl and the Sabres went above and beyond to woo this guy and he basically spits in their face by saying he wants to look elsewhere. Why shouldn't the fans feel slighted by him?

I suppose fans can boo whoever they want.  It's a bit much in this instance, since if he signs elsewhere he'd merely be one of the vast majority of all free agents in history who didn't sign in Buffalo for any number of reasons, most of which aren't a slap to the city or organization.

I was at the last Caps/Sabres game in Buffalo this past season. Ovie didn't get booed once.

Was that before he hit him and knocked him out for the season? I don't remember where that game was. I love watching Ovie personally but I fully expect him to get booed next time in Buffalo. Especially if hits Ennis. 

sabres fans have every right to boo this guy. The sabres did everything to convince this guy to sign here and he blows them off to go somewhere else. The sabres went above and beyond others by actually trading for his rights to convince him to come here and he says he would rather go elsewhere. If you can't boo this guy, who can you boo?

exactly, Stamkos resigned with his existing team, he never had a chance for the sabres to make a pitch or show their interest in him cause he was property of the lightning. Richards you could argue because they madebtheir pitch and he chose someone else,but he wasn't rude about it.

Atleast those guys had a resume to back themselves up. This guy is a nobody in the nhl and the Sabres went above and beyond to woo this guy and he basically spits in their face by saying he wants to look elsewhere. Why shouldn't the fans feel slighted by him?

Talk about exaggerating. We don't know what other teams may have offered. We don't know if other teams even made an offer. But above and beyond? Not even close. GMTM did not trade a 1st or 2nd for his rights. No reason to get upset about it. Dang, Vesey learned of the trade a period of time after the trade went down and he was also very surprised by it. His plans have to been to wait for August 15th. Why change them if x amount of teams are wanting him on their team?

From what I can recall, the Sabres never made a "pitch" for Brad Richards. Buffalo knew his a max deal. They stayed clear of the guy. I honestly don't see how Vesey is being "rude about it." He's testing the market just like Richards. 

A resume is a resume. He put up numbers at Harvard, was a Hobey Baker winner and apparently many GM's have WATCHED him play. And that's what matters most. If GM's feel he is a high potential top 6 forward Vesey, he has a resume. Why shouldn't he use it? 

Edited by GoPre

Was that before he hit him and knocked him out for the season? I don't remember where that game was. I love watching Ovie personally but I fully expect him to get booed next time in Buffalo. Especially if hits Ennis.

The game was in January, about a month after that hit. The crowd wasn't bad at all when AO touched the puck. Of course the Sabres outplayed Wash from the drop of the puck that night. Won 4-1 chasing Holtby in the process. It was the game where Foligno body slammed Wilson in the 3rd. Was a great night all around.

I suppose fans can boo whoever they want.  It's a bit much in this instance, since if he signs elsewhere he'd merely be one of the vast majority of all free agents in history who didn't sign in Buffalo for any number of reasons, most of which aren't a slap to the city or organization.

One more time, for me anyway it's more about the way the player and agent have behaved throughout the process. My God, he is not the Second Coming. If the idea was to hype him up and get lots of fans, media and teams interested, mission accomplished. But don't complain when it comes back to bite you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.