Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

The move by Murray to trade for Vesey's rights will prove to be a massive one. Vesey had more talk with the Sabres than anyone else, and it'll turn out we owned his rights for juuuuuuuuust enough time for a *slight* Stamkos Effect to be triggered in his mind: After a barrage of offers from a bunch of teams in a matter of days, Vesey will feel satisfied enough by the, "Well, at least I truly explored all my options" quotient of his decision making process, enough to absolve himself of any feelings of regret he may have felt had he not fully played out the process. He will slide back to the comfortable, to the familiar. The Eichel effect - an ever compelling force - guiding his way, as he signs on the dotted line with the team that traded for his rights months ago.

Jimmy will be a member of the Sabres.

What could easily happen is that he has listened to so many teams that he heard none of them...

The fall back position is the Sabres. The only offer he would know like the back of his hand.

Sabres will push hard to sign Peterson after his junior season (2017), especially if lehner doesn't have a very good year. Peterson is a top goalie prospect and translates well to the NHL. I think he has nearly as good of a chance of being our long term solution as lehner does

What Darryl says is correct, Buffalo cuz:

Jack

Young team

Fish is agents to vesey And eichel

Sabres hands off no pressure approach was perfect

Top 6 minutes and pp minutes most likely with buffalo

Sabres drafted Fitzgerald, his best friend

Sabres salary cap situation translates well to 2nd contract

Buffalo 50 min flight from boston

Buffalo leaves it's stars alone - lower pressure

All 8 places have their good points. Vesey is a smart guy, no other place can match all these Buffalo positives

Buffalo leaves its stars alone?

Ask Patrick Kane and Evander Kane if Buffalo is the kind of place a hockey star can fly under the radar. Buffalo is actually one of the few cities where NHL stars are A-listers.

I'm aware that you may be talking about on-ice performance pressure, but I don't agree there either. For example, the media used to be real critical of Ryan Miller not being able to deliver.

What could easily happen is that he has listened to so many teams that he heard none of them...

The fall back position is the Sabres. The only offer he would know like the back of his hand.

Yup, this is what I was playing at. It's my hope, that we are the safe option, the sure thing. It often happens that the first version of multiple options is the one that leaves the greatest imprint in one's mind: be it the first movie in a series, or the first surprisingly good beer in a beer flight. We are the only team that has the distinction of being that Original to Vesey, the one presented uncluttered. (Yes, I'm excluding Nashville completely)

Gotta think Murray was counting on this when he made the trade. It was a smart move, and we are the only team with that feather in our cap.

When I said Buffalo leads it's stars alone, I meant;

1. They can go.out to dinner and for the most part be left Alone

2. Media scrutiny is minimal compared to most cities. Bucky and sully are soft compared to most.

Now if you're going to be N idiot like the Kane's, the police won't leave you alone but that's obvious, no?

ProHockeyRumors sums up all the chatter from "alleged" sources.

Those with an inside source within the Vesey meetings and mullings have not been shy about reporting their thoughts. Sportsnet’s Howard Berger says not to be surprised if Vesey signs with the Maple Leafs, but also warns that Buffalo is very much still in the mix. Mike Grinnel of ESPN New Hampshire confirms the theory of colleague Jimmy Murphy that the New Jersey Devils are leading the chase. DJ Bean of Boston’s WEEI hears that the Bruins excelled in their meeting with Vesey and are still considered major contenders, counter to cross-town rival Joe Haggerty of CSN New England who said that Boston is all but out. Many have become skeptical of the Penguins ability to sign Vesey, having just re-signed Matt Cullen and reportedly having reached an agreement with another college free agent, Notre Dame’s Thomas DiPauli. All is quiet on the NYC front as well, with both the Islanders and Rangers considered strong contenders, but little chatter to support either’s position. Perhaps the most accurate “insider information” out there is the Chicago Tribune’s Chris Kruc’s take on Vesey and the Blackhawks, that they are just waiting for a decision from the Harvard star and that no known pecking order is in place.

My take is everyone is just throwing darts in hopes they are right.

Tomorrow is when we should start hearing what team he is leaning towards.

Edited by dejeanneret

Mike Harrington ‏@BNHarrington  35m

35 minutes ago

Mike Harrington Retweeted Howard Berger

I'm hearing this as well. #Sabres far more alive than I felt they were when week began.

In response to Howard Berger about the Sabres being in the mix

That's why I always felt that JV going to free agency wasn't a negative for the Sabres. It just allowed him to see how more valuable an option our team was once he was able to speak with everyone.

Also having a relaxed extended stage (owning his rights) benefited the Sabres as well I'm sure.

Mike Harrington ‏@BNHarrington  35m

Mike Harrington Retweeted Howard Berger

I'm hearing this as well. #Sabres far more alive than I felt they were when week began.

In response to Howard Berger about the Sabres being in the mix 

I'm interested to know whether they feel more alive because he hasn't decided yet or if there is ongoing communication between his agent and the team or something else(or all of the above).  Either way, hopefully this turns out ending in our favor.

Edited by ROC Sabres

ProHockeyRumors sums up all the chatter from "alleged" sources.

Those with an inside source within the Vesey meetings and mullings have not been shy about reporting their thoughts. Sportsnet’s Howard Berger says not to be surprised if Vesey signs with the Maple Leafs, but also warns that Buffalo is very much still in the mix. Mike Grinnel of ESPN New Hampshire confirms the theory of colleague Jimmy Murphy that the New Jersey Devils are leading the chase. DJ Bean of Boston’s WEEI hears that the Bruins excelled in their meeting with Vesey and are still considered major contenders, counter to cross-town rival Joe Haggerty of CSN New England who said that Boston is all but out. Many have become skeptical of the Penguins ability to sign Vesey, having just re-signed Matt Cullen and reportedly having reached an agreement with another college free agent, Notre Dame’s Thomas DiPauli. All is quiet on the NYC front as well, with both the Islanders and Rangers considered strong contenders, but little chatter to support either’s position. Perhaps the most accurate “insider information” out there is the Chicago Tribune’s Chris Kruc’s take on Vesey and the Blackhawks, that they are just waiting for a decision from the Harvard star and that no known pecking order is in place.

My take is everyone is just throwing darts in hopes they are right.

Tomorrow is when we should start hearing what team he is leaning towards.

So the media consensus seems to be that JV will probably at some point sign with somebody. This board is doing better than that. Faint praise, to be sure....

Vesey's better than either Hayes brother. Was just tweeted that fish and vesey will talk tonight, work through the night and have a final decision tomorrow. Pit signed the ND college UFAs. Pretty decent prospect - prob means they're out of Vesey

Who tweeted it? Anyone who would know?

Through the night? Really? Lots of coffee? Doodling? Wadding up and tossing paper and missing the garbage can? OK that might be a Seinfeld scene. The Roommate Switch I think.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.