Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

John Jaeckel from Chicago is reporting the below rumor, take it for whats it's worth, read it on HockeyBuzz.

I am hearing now from three sources (two in Chicago, one in Buffalo) that there is a strong possibility Jimmy Vesey will sign with the Hawks Monday or soon thereafter.

"Strong" as in more than just "they are on his list."

All that said, I am not hearing enough, or from the right source, to say it's a done deal.

I won't pretend to know much about Vesey's mindset or decision process or the "analytics" of his joining various teams.

I do know the "pitch" is: "you will get to play with Jonathan Toews and likely either Patrick Kane or Marian Hossa on your opposite wing, in an Original Six city, for what is one of the top 2-3 high profile teams in the league at present."

And with Vesey, the Blackhawks are the only team in he market for his services, other than Pittsburgh, who offer a realistic shot at a Cup this year.

If Vesey is thinking primarily about his second contract—which I have been told he is—versus just playing in his hometown or in the same organization as his brother, then that is a compelling argument.

Monday could be interesting. Like I said, sources saying it points to Chicago right now.

John Jaeckel from Chicago is reporting the below rumor, take it for whats it's worth, read it on HockeyBuzz.

I am hearing now from three sources (two in Chicago, one in Buffalo) that there is a strong possibility Jimmy Vesey will sign with the Hawks Monday or soon thereafter.

"Strong" as in more than just "they are on his list."

All that said, I am not hearing enough, or from the right source, to say it's a done deal.

I won't pretend to know much about Vesey's mindset or decision process or the "analytics" of his joining various teams.

I do know the "pitch" is: "you will get to play with Jonathan Toews and likely either Patrick Kane or Marian Hossa on your opposite wing, in an Original Six city, for what is one of the top 2-3 high profile teams in the league at present."

And with Vesey, the Blackhawks are the only team in he market for his services, other than Pittsburgh, who offer a realistic shot at a Cup this year.

If Vesey is thinking primarily about his second contract—which I have been told he is—versus just playing in his hometown or in the same organization as his brother, then that is a compelling argument.

Monday could be interesting. Like I said, sources saying it points to Chicago right now.

Somebody buy this kid a map.

I'll say it again:  there is NFW he is signing with NJ.  They were well out of the playoffs last year, and no one who has attended a regular-season game in NJ would ever willingly sign up to play there.

If he goes to the NYC area, he'll go to the Rangers.

Ughh.. John Haskel wrote that blog last Saturday. Be was look purely guessing as this was 2 days before Chi even met him. So not only did you post something from Hockeybuzz, you posted a very stale blog from Hockeybuzz

Vesey will be signing with BUF this weekend, maybe stretches into Monday but I doubt it

Ughh.. John Haskel wrote that blog last Saturday. Be was look purely guessing as this was 2 days before Chi even met him. So not only did you post something from Hockeybuzz, you posted a very stale blog from Hockeybuzz

Vesey will be signing with BUF this weekend, maybe stretches into Monday but I doubt it

What's more, I have a suspicion that "Monday" meant three days ago. I suppose I shouldn't hang the guy on the details, but he couldn't have signed Monday (other than with Buffalo).

Latest rumors from the tweeter that I actually feel like posting... 

Vesey isn't even awake yet. 

Vesey still needs to eat his wheaties this morning.

Vesey pees sitting down. (this one idk, seems un credible) 

In all seriousness it is 9am, I wouldn't expect an announcement before noon unless yesterday was a formality and he already had a good idea where he was going. 

I'll say it again:  there is NFW he is signing with NJ.  They were well out of the playoffs last year, and no one who has attended a regular-season game in NJ would ever willingly sign up to play there.

If he goes to the NYC area, he'll go to the Rangers.

Besides more people in the stands, how much better is the atmosphere in Buffalo?

Besides more people in the stands, how much better is the atmosphere in Buffalo?

Well, it's been so long that you are forgiven for forgetting, but when the Sabres are good, the fans are quite lively (in addition to showing up, which they don't do in NJ regardless of how well the team is doing).

I hesitate to comment on a city I have never visited, but the only thing on that list that would make me want to stay is the food.

And the only good era for the Edmonton Oilers was the Gretzky era -- but it was one heckuva era.

Brian Compton of NHL.com was asked to guess where Vesey signs and said Buffalo. This is really all over the place.

Of course it is. Because every report that comes out between now and when he actually signs is going to end up being total BS.

Edited by d4rksabre

Brian Compton of NHL.com was asked to guess where Vesey signs and said Buffalo. This is really all over the place.

It's kind of new ground for everyone. Basically it's not a matter of money but personal choice for vesey and a lot of the time is mostly about the money so it's easier to gauge player interest.

It's kind of new ground for everyone. Basically it's not a matter of money but personal choice for vesey and a lot of the time is mostly about the money so it's easier to gauge player interest.

It's not new ground. This happens at least every other year if not every year. Only difference this year is Twitter and the number of people considered journalist who now have a forum and the fact that Vesey may be better then usual college free agent. Washington drafted that kid from Notre Dame in the 4th round and I'd bet that most people in this thread can't even tell me his name without looking it up.

Edited by tom webster

It's not new ground. This happens at least every other year if not every year. Only difference this year is Twitter and the number of people considered journalist who now have a forum and the fact that Vesey may be better then usual college free agent. Washington drafted that kid from Notre Dame in the 2nd round and I'd bet that most people in this thread can't even tell me his name without looking it up.

Rudy

It's not new ground. This happens at least every other year if not every year. Only difference this year is Twitter and the number of people considered journalist who now have a forum and the fact that Vesey may be better then usual college free agent. Washington drafted that kid from Notre Dame in the 4th round and I'd bet that most people in this thread can't even tell me his name without looking it up.

Vesey is by far the most valuable draft college free agent in recent memory. Probably ever? This is new ground.

Rudy

Undrafted college free agent. Different scenario.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.