Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I disagree to a point with the chemistry with ROR. I think it was more Sam just knowing whereto be with a bit of help from ROR. When Sam and Jack got together when Ryan was out it looked lime the game slowed down for both of them. The no look backhand Sam dished to Jack at center ice was otherworldly.

Well, Sam also played with ROR earlier in the season and with Jack later on. With how much Sam improved as the year went on, I think he would be just as good with ROR.

I going to put this here...

CZDpsCAWYAA6pBi.jpg

The best part is the shadowy O'Reilly in the background. The Sensei.

As good as it gets remembering what went down on the ice before they came off there. Highlight of the season.

Is that shot from after the game when Bogo went batshiit crazy? Sam is carrying 47s hat.

Yep. against Arizona IIRC. Good catch on the hat thing. I've seen that picture a hundred times and never noticed that.

I disagree to a point with the chemistry with ROR.  I think it was more Sam just knowing whereto be with a bit of help from ROR.  When Sam and Jack got together when Ryan was out it looked lime the game slowed down for both of them.  The no look backhand Sam dished to Jack at center ice was otherworldly. 

Isn't that how chemistry is developed?

I think opening a window for him to talk to other teams helps him save face and make a decision with a clear conscience.  He can talk but can't sign with other teams for a week.  If he does not sign with us after the week, we know he got a better deal or situation from someone else.  There is no real downside because the money is the same.  It comes down to fit as perceivedby Vesey.  

But if he really wants to feel like he exercised his rights (ufa) he needs comparables.  Letting him talk but not sign essentially allows him to do that.

I remember this as your idea.   I endorse the strategy.  He's seen our best.  Give him all he needs to make a decision.  He's going to get it, anyway.  Who knows, he may respect us even more.

PS ... i have no problem with his approach to the Sabres or the league.  I hope he's a Sabre in the fall.

You traded the pick to be first.  We did that.  Now he has our pitch to use as the measuring stick.  Ultimately it comes down in my humble opinion, as to whether Pgh, Chicago TB or a legitimate cup contender can offer him the same opportunity.  PGH and Chi can and so can the SOCal teams if he wants to go there.  Let them talk.  While I agree there is no rush, inking him early gives TM new found currency to deal with, perhaps for more d or gt help.

"Offer him the same opportunity." Vesey said he was going to wait until after the big moves on July 1 to study rosters and see where the top six opportunities would be. This seems very different from waiting until he can get offers from other teams regarding top six opportunities. The latter, it seems to me, would be a guarantee of a top six placement. I don't see how any team would offer that to a guy who has never set foot on an NHL sheet. I don't see how allowing Vesey to talk to other teams now would help at all.

You traded the pick to be first. We did that. Now he has our pitch to use as the measuring stick. Ultimately it comes down in my humble opinion, as to whether Pgh, Chicago TB or a legitimate cup contender can offer him the same opportunity. PGH and Chi can and so can the SOCal teams if he wants to go there. Let them talk. While I agree there is no rush, inking him early gives TM new found currency to deal with, perhaps for more d or gt help.

I was originally in the let him talk to other teams camp. Now, I'm not so sure. I think the idea only shows our impatience. We want a decision now - no matter what. I don't think we need a quick decision though and it's probably not in the Sabres best interest. I would hate for him to commit to another team and have that team start making decisions knowing he's in the fold.

Aug 16th is over a month away and a lot of roster changes may occur during this period. What if CHI or PIT get impatient and trade for a top-6 forward next week? You'd be able to cross them off the list then.

I'd be willing to guarantee this kid already knows where he is playing this year

I think I agree. Or, he at least knows where he wants to play. His list of demands could also be smokescreen to make it look like there will be much contemplation in where he finally settles down. And for the record, I doubt it's Buffalo. He would've signed already.

I think I agree. Or, he at least knows where he wants to play. His list of demands could also be smokescreen to make it look like there will be much contemplation in where he finally settles down. And for the record, I doubt it's Buffalo. He would've signed already.

What demands?

I think he believes he's going for sign with Buffalo but wants to meet with 3-5 teams before signing with us. We have jack eichel and nobody else does

We also have Matt Moulson and nobody else does.

What demands?

Oh come on. Don't play dumb.

Here, it's been quoted many times in this thread:

His checklist when considering where to play, said Vesey, will include the prospective team’s coach, its style of play, and whether both sides could envision him playing among the top six forwards and also on the power play. He’s not only looking at his first NHL deal, but the next one, one that will be all the more lucrative if he has goals and assists as bona fides.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/02/jimmy-vesey-mulling-his-nhl-future/d0xIzgGvkAJD4kBOoI4dgK/story.html[/size][/font][/color]

Call it what you want: demands, selection criteria, wish list, etc. It doesn't matter, once he hits August 16th, he's in the driver's seat. He'll have all the power over where he goes and why.

Everyone is so negative here - healthier to believe

Believe what? That his agent has repeatedly said Vesey wants to hit free agency? Edited by kas23

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.