Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

TM didn't draft Sam to be a RW.  He will get 2nd unit pp time at center and will be a full time C in 2017-2018.  ROR eventually moves to the wing in the top 6.  He handles big draws in the D zone and kills penalties while still playing top minutes.  Or the Sabres evolve to rolling 3 scoring lines.  Jmho 

TM didn't draft Sam to be a RW. He will get 2nd unit pp time at center and will be a full time C in 2017-2018. ROR eventually moves to the wing in the top 6. He handles big draws in the D zone and kills penalties while still playing top minutes. Or the Sabres evolve to rolling 3 scoring lines. Jmho

He also didn't trade for ROR to have him play wing

Think 2 years down the road.  ROR at 27 gets his load lightened and moves to the position where he posted his best offensive numbers.  If he keeps up his production he stays in the top 6, or the Sabres roll 3 scoring lines.  Either way win win for everyone.   

Think 2 years down the road. ROR at 27 gets his load lightened and moves to the position where he posted his best offensive numbers. If he keeps up his production he stays in the top 6, or the Sabres roll 3 scoring lines. Either way win win for everyone.

I believe this year was his best offensive season? I know he was on leave to shatter his previous high but he got hurt

Personally, I'd rather not split all 3 of those players up, especially with DD running ship. One of them will get drastically reduced minutes

It depends on if the other pieces allow it.  If Nylander pans out, Bailey and Fasching develop, you will be able to roll 3 that even DD can trust.  I think Sam is a natural  C and would be wasted if not allowed to play there. Yes he had a great year and I think he continues in 2016, but he is better at C.  Agin JMHO.

I think Bylsma has dealt with this before:

Crosby->Eichel

Malkin->Reinhart

O'Reilly->Staal

And if they can't find six top-nine wingers out of Okposo, Ennis, Kane, Vesey, Girgensons, Foligno, Larsson, Nylander, Bailey, Fasching...

Random thought, what is in say 3-4 years, Reinhart has been trained by ROR as his eventual top line replacement. ROR moves to wing, Reinhart to center with Okposo on the right.

On the second line you can do Nylander or another winger Eichel and perhaps Cliff Pu if he pans out the way some think he will. It is just nice to have center depth and not need to worry about having real centers on this team for the first time in 8 years.