Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

Florida is shaping up quite nicely.

Again: Who was our regular around here who would crow about the Panthers a few years ago, when they were still finishing among the bottom 10?

JJ loves the Panthers. Think he lives near them.

Correct. Fancystats Twitter doesn't like it. 

That is an element of the #fancystats world that gives me pause. Yost seems to have good insights, but he treats his analytic numbers as gospel. It is not clear to me what his evaluation of the player is beyond those stats. And, I mean, he is just yucking it up over the Helm deal.

That is an element of the #fancystats world that gives me pause. Yost seems to have good insights, but he treats his analytic numbers as gospel. It is not clear to me what his evaluation of the player is beyond those stats. And, I mean, he is just yucking it up over the Helm deal.

I like the stats. I mean, I went to a damn hockey stats conference. But I think the stats are lacking in a lot of areas because the people who develop these methods have never really played the game. 

I continue to bang the drum for stats that look at game flow. So much of hockey is sequences of events. I don't think fancy stats currently measures this, and I think coaches and GMs are able to identify players who contribute positively to the game but maybe not in a way that the stats can "see". 

I like the stats. I mean, I went to a damn hockey stats conference. But I think the stats are lacking in a lot of areas because the people who develop these methods have never really played the game.

I continue to bang the drum for stats that look at game flow. So much of hockey is sequences of events. I don't think fancy stats currently measures this, and I think coaches and GMs are able to identify players who contribute positively to the game but maybe not in a way that the stats can "see".

Line networks and event proximity visualizations come pretty close to what you're looking for, IMO. Also, the data project from Jen Lut Costella is a treasure trove for this type of information. The stuff is out there, but it's not exactly easy to tweet about.

Line networks and event proximity visualizations come pretty close to what you're looking for, IMO. Also, the data project from Jen Lut Costella is a treasure trove for this type of information. The stuff is out there, but it's not exactly easy to tweet about.

I like Jen's stuff. She's really made a lot of progress. I think she has the same end result in mind that I do. 

I love thinking about this when I think about how useless Kane can be sometimes: https://jenlc13.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/crucial-habits-shot-generation-game-flow/

Victor Hedman's official Twitter:

Couldn't be more excited to stay in Tampa for another 8 years! Let's do this..

Johnston: BREAKING: Victor Hedman signs eight-year extension with #TBLightning. S7.875M AAV.

Edited by Hoss