Ristolainen Signed, 6yrs 5.4mil per

LGR4GM

It is interesting that this contract is not done. There are tons of comparables and tons of reasons to just ink him to a 7 or 8 year deal. I think Rasmus can be a #1 defender. He certainly is the best defender from his draft class thus far. Well hopefully by mid September Murray will finish this up. I will say 5.75mil X 7 years.  Ramsus would be a UFA at 25 correct? He'll have 6 seasons in by then right?

A story in Finnish newspaper says Risto is nowhere near a new deal. He is training hard and concentrates only on getting better and doesn't expect a new deal before the WC.

Just noticed your location ... glad you're here. Are you an American living abroad or a Finn who follows the Sabres? NOYB is a fine response, of course.

I first opened the article without translation. I think I spell like a Finn.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/with-zemgus-girgensons-signed-sabres-attention-shifts-to-rasmus-ristolainen/

Interesting read but this sentence was stupid "The Sabres were better this past season, but still objectively bad, finishing 23rd overall. So the stakes for Ristolainen were lower than with Ekblad, but it’s worth noting that Ristolainen had better numbers."

Yea... the stakes might have been lower but Risto played just as tough minutes as Ekblad. I digress though. 

I find it extremely hard to believe the numbers were better for Risto

He had more points, right? That's about it. Possession was worse, scoring rate was worse. To be fair, Risto also faced tougher minutes with a worse partner on a worse team. But yea, his numbers weren't better.

Edit: reading the article, it was good. He split off the even strength production from PP, took into account ice time and team context. I liked it he mentions 7 years $6M per towards the end. Wonder if thats what Risto is looking for and Murray is hoping more like low 5s?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/with-zemgus-girgensons-signed-sabres-attention-shifts-to-rasmus-ristolainen/

Interesting read but this sentence was stupid "The Sabres were better this past season, but still objectively bad, finishing 23rd overall. So the stakes for Ristolainen were lower than with Ekblad, but it’s worth noting that Ristolainen had better numbers."

Yea... the stakes might have been lower but Risto played just as tough minutes as Ekblad. I digress though. 

I also don't think we were "objectively bad". We weren't good, but I'd say closer to mediocre, not flat out bad.

The reason we are all worried about risto, he is our #1.

You can say there are 10 better #1 out there, but I would like to know next season:

How many #1-2 are better in the league than Risto - Kuli

And if they are pro's they know right now they have been given a shot for glory.

This is what makes a long term deal difficult. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a mistake Murray is taking this long to come to an agreement.  Obviously don't know the details of discussion but with so many comparables out there my best guess is Risto is looking for the 6 year variety and Murray is looking for a prove it deal.  This guy is our franchise #1 defender.  Lock his ass up already.

I think it's a mistake Murray is taking this long to come to an agreement.  Obviously don't know the details of discussion but with so many comparables out there my best guess is Risto is looking for the 6 year variety and Murray is looking for a prove it deal.  This guy is our franchise #1 defender.  Lock his ass up already.

I think they both want long term deal, But Murray probably wants it to be an 8 year deal and his agent will be pushing for a 5 - 6 year deal.

But it's not THAT much more. And he has not shown any reason to expect he won't be worth it.

neither did Tyler Myers.

You simply don't give a 20 year old defenseman a 6-8 year deal unlesd he's a top 5 player at his position. Risto still has a ways to go to get there, keep him motivated.

neither did Tyler Myers.

You simply don't give a 20 year old defenseman a 6-8 year deal unlesd he's a top 5 player at his position. Risto still has a ways to go to get there, keep him motivated.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but does anyone think Risto's personality/character is anything like Myers?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.