Ristolainen Signed, 6yrs 5.4mil per

LGR4GM

The person who tweeted it agrees that it's not a totally relevant stat to use without context or reason, but this is true:

@garik16 At some point you would like to see some sort of positive sign

You can't use advanced stats to support ten players then completely ignore them when a player you like is miserable in that category.

I'm on the "sign Risto to a healthy long-term deal" bandwagon, but I still don't think he's what most fans think he is.

The person who tweeted it agrees that it's not a totally relevant stat to use without context or reason, but this is true:

DTM About Heart@DTMAboutHeart 10m10 minutes ago

You can't use advanced stats to support ten players then completely ignore them when a player you like is miserable in that category.

I'm on the "sign Risto to a healthy long-term deal" bandwagon, but I still don't think he's what most fans think he is.

.can't argue with that

He's a #1/2 more than likely with loads of potential going forward, but I wouldn't mind 1 more guy with that potential. 

This is my concern as well.   GMTM didn't draft Risto, and he has his own ratings system so we don't know what value he places on him.    We know he's young, has prototypical size and a great tool set.   There is still a lot we don't know about Risto.   He's 20, has he plateaued?  How much better will he get?    You sign him to a 6-8 year deal, what if he turns out to be like a Kalinin who was also a first rounder?    A bridge deal makes most sense IMO.   Give him time to grow and prove what he's really worth before committing a half-dozen years at a price that he's not playing up to currently. 

@garik16

.can't argue with that

I can. The guy waffles. blah blah blah not very good blah blah but I'm on the "sign Risto to a healthy long-term deal bandwagon, but I still don't think he's what most fans think he is"

Bullcrap cover your nasty ass drivel.

what if he turns out to be like a Kalinin who was also a first rounder?

Seriously? You wrote that. Seriously? This belongs on your greatest hits compilation. Massive bullcrap.

Risto struggled in his first season as the team's #1, especially in the second half. I don't think anyone should be all too upset if this gets pointed out. He's 21, was in his second pro season, had among the toughest minutes in the entire league, and was partnered with a 3rd pairing caliber defenseman. None of that changes that he was in over his head as a #1, but it does point to caution regarding the numbers when making a projection for the future.

Risto struggled in his first season as the team's #1, especially in the second half. I don't think anyone should be all too upset if this gets pointed out. He's 21, was in his second pro season, had among the toughest minutes in the entire league, and was partnered with a 3rd pairing caliber defenseman. None of that changes that he was in over his head as a #1, but it does point to caution regarding the numbers when making a projection for the future.

But you would never compare him to Dmitri Kalinin. Am I right?

I'm not worried about Risto's first two years. All things considered he's right on track in his development which is above average to this point.

In todays game it is happening more and more but 18,19,20 year old defensemen don't play top 4 minutes in the nhl against other teams top lines most nights.

I have no issue expecting Risto to improve going forward because I think he's the type of player who wants and expects more from himself.

I can. The guy waffles. blah blah blah not very good blah blah but I'm on the "sign Risto to a healthy long-term deal bandwagon, but I still don't think he's what most fans think he is"

Bullcrap cover your nasty ass drivel.

The quote you bolded was my opinion. I did not look up or provide the stat, the Twitter account did. I was presenting it without comment.

Risto impressed the hell out of me all year, even when he was struggling. The star potential was there every game. He had a tough time holding the fort in that Penguins game when half our team was dead, but in OT broke up a Crosby play, beat him to the loose puck, and caught a teammate in stride for a chance the other way. You can see it all there. He's got years to put it together, on a typical defenseman's development curve.

Risto impressed the hell out of me all year, even when he was struggling. The star potential was there every game. He had a tough time holding the fort in that Penguins game when half our team was dead, but in OT broke up a Crosby play, beat him to the loose puck, and caught a teammate in stride for a chance the other way. You can see it all there. He's got years to put it together, on a typical defenseman's development curve.

I see it too, but I also see him get beat a lot to loose pucks in his end, or get turned the wrong way like on the McDavid OT goal. He needs to continue to improve his speed and quickness, which I think he can. That said, I still wouldn't commit 6 years to him at this stage of his career. I want him to stay motivated and focused on growing as a player instead of turning into the next Tyler Myers.

The quote you bolded was my opinion. I did not look up or provide the stat, the Twitter account did. I was presenting it without comment.

Well I thought you were quoting someone. So then I'll ask you, WTF?

This. Plus, he a damn good offensive season, despite his defensive struggles.

Risto isn't the definitive God number one we all wish he was.

#drivel

But he's the #1 D we need right now. The D man we deserve.

I see it too, but I also see him get beat a lot to loose pucks in his end, or get turned the wrong way like on the McDavid OT goal. He needs to continue to improve his speed and quickness, which I think he can. That said, I still wouldn't commit 6 years to him at this stage of his career. I want him to stay motivated and focused on growing as a player instead of turning into the next Tyler Myers.

It's fair to want to be safe. But there isn't any defenseman in the world that doesn't get walked by McDavid there. I've seen Karlsson and Doughty get burned worse by guys going half that speed.

I wonder how his stats compare to other players in similar situations. The best comparable I can think of, other than Ekblad which isn't fair IMO, is Jones

Danny Dekeyser signed a 6-year, $30 million deal in Detroit.

There are so many comparables that it seems this should be done already. Either Murray is low balling hardcore or Risto's camp thinks he's Hedman.

Good man with the update - thanks.

I am keeping the faith.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.