Ristolainen Signed, 6yrs 5.4mil per

LGR4GM

Risto was a team worst -21 last season, on a .500 team that had a -21 goal differential.     Bogo was a -11.     Gorges a -7.    Those are the only 3 d-men to avg >20min a game.    Why is Risto so much worse than Bogo and Gorges?    If his poor +/- is due to a ###### D partner, then why doesn't that guy have nearly as bad a +/-?     I'm not being sarcastic, I'd really am trying to understand why we shouldn't read so much into Risto's terrible +/- when compared to others on the team.     And you can't argue that he's out there all the time, because then he should be out there for goals for as well.

I can name probably 5 times as many players who packed it in after signing a max term deal, than those who took their game to the next level.    

And how many players have career years coming up on their contract year?   Too many to mention.

You know Vanek and Risto personally?   What makes them so much different than each other at 21?

Now that is a fair question. Why is Rasmus' +/- so low compared to the team?

This article gives some evidence for you PI that Risto should get a shorter deal

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/thn-s-2016-17-nhl-season-preview-buffalo-sabres

"The team’s number one D-man is Rasmus Ristolainen and while many are optimistic about his progress due to his point totals last seasons, his underlying numbers were atrocious. That’s been the case for his entire NHL career so far. Think about how bad Buffalo has been the past few years; they’re even worse with Ristolainen on the ice."

Edited by LGR4GM

This article gives some evidence for you PI that Risto should get a shorter deal

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/thn-s-2016-17-nhl-season-preview-buffalo-sabres

"The team’s number one D-man is Rasmus Ristolainen and while many are optimistic about his progress due to his point totals last seasons, his underlying numbers were atrocious. That’s been the case for his entire NHL career so far. Think about how bad Buffalo has been the past few years; they’re even worse with Ristolainen on the ice."

This is the same article that we're--including you!--shitting on in another thread--for good reason.  Faulk is a "key addition"!  The whole thing is a joke.

Edited by Eleven

That article (if you can call it that) was hard to read.    Brutal.    

He just got a -1.

Actually Vatenen, who has sucked, was at the point when the ENG went in.

Wookie is right.  Ristolainen was on the bench when the EN was scored.

Maybe it wouldn't have been if he still had been out there after the timeout.

Still, For the long portion of the 6-on-5, Ristolainen was out there.  I think that says a lot.

Well the World Cup is over.  Time to get this thing done.  I asked Sabrespace if they were concerned in July the deal wasn't done.  I asked again in August.  Training camp is now officially underway.  Get an 8 year deal done now!!!!

I'd guess with camp underway things will go quick... or we will be facepalming ourselves silly.

I think Risto's defensive short comings are part of the reason, and maybe the chief reason, his deal isn't done.

The comparisons to Risto seem to me to be Vatanen and Lindholm of Ana. Vatanen, 25, signed a 4 yr 20 mill deal this off-season. He has put up back to back 37+ pt seasons while being a + player. Lindholm, 22, has 3 full NHL seasons under his belt while averaging 30+ pts and a +20. Lindholm has also yet to sign.

Frankly, I can't see why Risto is worth more then Vatanen, who is a better defensive player, just as good on the offensive side and has more success in the NHL. I'm not paying Risto more simply because he is younger. Risto is also inferior to Lindholm at this point in their careers. Lindholm is nearly as good offensively, but is lightyears better in his own zone. I have a sinking feeling that Lindholm and Risto's agents are playing chicken with each other in an attempt to use the other's contract as leverage for their own clients.

If I were Murray, I'd offer a deal very similar to Vatanen. I think this is a fair compromise. Obviously Risto and his agent think he is worth more. I'm not sure if it's years or $ or both, but with training camp underway it's time for this deal to get done the longer this drags on is bad for both Risto and the Sabres.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

... f##K

now I'm concerned. Out of all the players we have paid money to, we are being stingy with Ristolainen? Or is it Risto wants a ridiculous amount of money? There are a ton of comparables out there to look at. Ekblad and Jones both come to mind.

Edited by LGR4GM

... f##K

now I'm concerned. Out of all the players we have paid money to, we are being stingy with Ristolainen? Or is it Risto wants a ridiculous amount of money? There are a ton of comparables out there to look at. Ekblad and Jones both come to mind.

As I've said before, my best guess is Risto's camp is eying Ekblad, while Murray is eying Jones/Rielly. There's around a $2 million annual gap there. I love me some Risto, but he's not Ekblad right now...Rielly and Jones are the appropriate comparables.

As I've said before, my best guess is Risto's camp is eying Ekblad, while Murray is eying Jones/Rielly. There's around a $2 million annual gap there. I love me some Risto, but he's not Ekblad right now...Rielly and Jones are the appropriate comparables.

Good take.

I can't imagine the Sabres aren't willing to be generous, yet reasonable. Why do I get the impression Risto and his agent are being unreasonable because they sense without Risto, our defense is a shambles? He may be our best Dman, that's true, but I think Murray and Co. are willing to let somebody else seize an opportunity while Risto sits and ponders his options. Can't say I disagree.

True, but I think the state of our D without him and his performance in the WC inflates his value more than we are willing to admit. I'll be absolutely shocked if he signs for less than 6.5 x 8.

True, but I think the state of our D without him and his performance in the WC inflates his value more than we are willing to admit. I'll be absolutely shocked if he signs for less than 6.5 x 8.

I would be fine with the $6.5 if it's an 8 year deal.  No to that annual hit if it's less than 8.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.