Best Sabres Defenseman Ever?

Eleven

Mike Ramsay-stay at home D Man. Willing to drop the gloves as necessary. Including against Marty McSorley, Barry Melrose and Mike Milbury although the for the last he was not given a fighting major.

Phil Housley one of the best puck moving defenseman to play for Buffalo.

Phil Housley one of the best puck moving defenseman to play for Buffalo.

From what I've seen maybe one of the best ever.

Sadly I'm too young for anything really prior to 2000 and since then we really have only had great defensemen not really any all time team worthy guys. Campbell comes pretty close though varying what All-Sabres D core your looking for.

McKee reminds me a lot of Hjalmarsson on Chicago and Gorges. He seemed to be somewhere between them although closer to Hjalmarsson.

From what I've seen maybe one of the best ever.

Sadly I'm too young for anything really prior to 2000 and since then we really have only had great defensemen not really any all time team worthy guys. Campbell comes pretty close though varying what All-Sabres D core your looking for.

McKee reminds me a lot of Hjalmarsson on Chicago and Gorges. He seemed to be somewhere between them although closer to Hjalmarsson.

Sadly, I'm not ....

Ramsey for me, but I don't have as extensive a track record as some on the board.  So I would say Ramsey for me. 

Began his time w/ the Sabres a year before I was born. Remember watching him. The guy could play. Even though it's based on childhood memories, my vote goes to Ramsey. 

Campbell, Lydman and Tallinder were all really good, imo. But Ramsey would be my top guy. Loved Zhitnik, thought he was a great d-man. I was so young when Schony and Hajt were playing I can't really pass much judgement on them. I just remember that when Hajt was out of line up the Sabres lost a lot. 

I haven't watched the Sabres long enough to have an opinion.

I personally liked Brian Campbell and Jason Woolley.

Fair enough.

Bodger is unsung.  McKee and Hajt might be a good comparison.

McKee and Uwe Krupp comparable?

Good call on Bodger.

Honorable Mention for #22 Lindy Ruff.  

Spent too much time at LW.  And although he had tons of heart, I don't think he had the skills.  Classic journeyman.

Playfair has an honourable mention for this alone ...

Ramsey was best all-round (IMO)

Housley best offensive ... poetry in motion.

And even though he was only in Buffalo 2 seasons, Horton brought credibility and stability to a young defensive core that included Schoney and Korab.

Ramsey

Schoeny

Housley ... He's so unique and therefore hard to compare to others

McKee, Hajt, Wooley, Korab, Bodger .... (Waiting for comment, here)

I'm surprised it took awhile before Bill Hajt was mentioned. Best defensive defensemen is either Ramsey or Hajt, hands down in my opinion.

Stopping by to drop the obligatory joke about a 90s Sabre fan going to his doctor about an apparent STD:

Doctor: So what seems to be problem, Bob?

Bob: Well Doc ... Mike Peca Smehlik Zhitnik.

I'm surprised it took awhile before Bill Hajt was mentioned. Best defensive defensemen is either Ramsey or Hajt, hands down in my opinion.

I agree that Hajt arguably has a place in the team's all-time top 6 (sorry - I know that was not the question posed). Perfect third-pairing guy on an all-time team -- if that even makes sense.

These threads a get a little more depressing every year.

Who was the best president, grandpappy? Well, *spits*, it was either Teddy Roosevelt or his Uncle Franklin, I reckon...

I expect Risto to be the best Sabre D all time.

Really, he's the first have the complete skill set.

There, now I've gone and Tyler Myersed him.

Are you happy?

These threads a get a little more depressing every year.

Who was the best president, grandpappy? Well, *spits*, it was either Teddy Roosevelt or his Uncle Franklin, I reckon...

Agreed, PA. BUT - I haven't enjoyed watching a Sabre rookie as much as Eichel since Bert, Rico, and Schoeny. Good times are on the horizon - we'll be as much fun to watch and winning like the current Tampa team soon

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.