How do you feel about Sabres charging for NHL Draft?

PromoTheRobot

I feel it's Terry's team and he can do what he wants with it. NO ONE IS ENTITLED TO ANYTHING, not even free tickets to the NHL draft. It's worth something, whatever the market will bear, and it HAS to be monetized. He has an OBLIGATION  to generate revenues and grow the pie. Nothing to see here.

Angry, yes, but also very understandable. The demand for the event will be huge, and with the Toronto pick, larger than just our hockey crazed city. In a way I think they are hoping not to be utterly swamped on draft day so that it can still function. Imagine a packed house, plus thousands outside, plus all the media, managers, and etc. Not to mention the rookies deserve to "enjoy" the event not be swamped by every fan imaginable.

I've used the word "ham-handed" to describe the Sabres' public relations under Pegula. I can't think of a better word. All those ticket price increases, even after epically bad seasons. One of the ticket increase letters even arrived on Fan Appreciation Day. They shorted the fans after the lockout; while many other organizations lavished fans with outright giveaways, the Sabres offered fans a discount in the Sabres Store. A team vice-president offered a quote about how much the team likes Maple Leaf fans. Fans have been complaining about the atmosphere in the building and the lack of giveaways, and the team has no response, either in action or by way of acknowledgement. I'm probably missing a few.

The Sabres plan on charging as much as $30 for a lower bowl seat, $20 for an upper seat, for day one of the NHL Draft. (Day two is free.) I believe this was always a free event in the past. How do you feel about the Sabres charging for it?

I think it sucks.

I don't even know if other teams have been charging recently.

I also think the fact that the 29 other teams each get an allocation of 600 tickets is stupid.  How many Sharks season ticket holders are we expecting to turn out?

Also, if you've never been to a draft before, consider this before shelling out the money:  It is an insanely boring event.  It is much more fun to watch on TV with the analysts.

Edited by Eleven

I think the question can't be answered without knowing whether prior host cities have charged admission, and if so, how many years that has been the case.

Looks like Florida did not charge last year:  http://panthers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=105787 But that may be because there aren't a ton of fans there.  

I will try to find out what Filly did in 2014.

EDIT:  They were free in Filly for season ticket holders:  http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/archive/index.php/t-1671865.htmlThis implies that non-STHs were charged.

In 2013, NJ gave free tickets to season ticket holders but explicitly stated that this was an apology for the lockout, implying that they intended to charge originally and probably charged non-STHs.

I still think what the Sabres are doing sucks, regardless.  I almost hope no one goes and they are embarrassed with an empty building.

Edited by Eleven

I think it should be free to Sabres fans, $100 a seat for Leaf fans.

They'd keep the home folks happy and make lotsa money

Canucks did not charge in 06.

Building was 2/3rds full.

We started in the upper deck and snuck down into the exclusive seats before round one was over.

Anyone who enjoys hockey-celebrity watching and eavesdropping on hockey people would have loved it.

Edited by dudacek

Pittsburgh and Minnesota were free.

Flyers didn't charge either. Seems like these three places did the raffle as well, then gave away the remaining tickets to the general public.

From the Kings' website: "Tickets for the 2010 NHL Entry Draft will be available to the general public beginning this Saturday, June 5, at 10 a.m. A limited number of tickets, which are free of charge, can be downloaded and printed (note a service charge of $1.25 per ticket will be charged) by visiting LAKings.com/nhldraft. Ticket limit is 4 (four) and each ticket is good for both days."

NJ had a giveaway for random season ticket holders it sounds like, but I can't find anything after that.

Flyers didn't charge either. Seems like these three places did the raffle as well, then gave away the remaining tickets to the general public.

From the Kings' website: "Tickets for the 2010 NHL Entry Draft will be available to the general public beginning this Saturday, June 5, at 10 a.m. A limited number of tickets, which are free of charge, can be downloaded and printed (note a service charge of $1.25 per ticket will be charged) by visiting LAKings.com/nhldraft. Ticket limit is 4 (four) and each ticket is good for both days."

NJ had a giveaway for random season ticket holders it sounds like, but I can't find anything after that.

Thank you for the more comprehensive answer.

Looks like Florida did not charge last year:  http://panthers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=105787 But that may be because there aren't a ton of fans there.  

I will try to find out what Filly did in 2014.

EDIT:  They were free in Filly for season ticket holders:  http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/archive/index.php/t-1671865.htmlThis implies that non-STHs were charged.

In 2013, NJ gave free tickets to season ticket holders but explicitly stated that this was an apology for the lockout, implying that they intended to charge originally and probably charged non-STHs.

I still think what the Sabres are doing sucks, regardless.  I almost hope no one goes and they are embarrassed with an empty building.

Upper level was free, and they also had a premium ticket that included food, booze, buffet, etc....... for $75 a ticket. 

Well worth it when you consider the price and quality of the concession food. 

I'll wait to hear back before I comment for further.

I received this much information. Eleven had additional information. I would have kept going, but I have two finals tomorrow so I should stop :P

I feel it's Terry's team and he can do what he wants with it. NO ONE IS ENTITLED TO ANYTHING, not even free tickets to the NHL draft. It's worth something, whatever the market will bear, and it HAS to be monetized. He has an OBLIGATION  to generate revenues and grow the pie. Nothing to see here.

I agree with everything you said. Glad to see you're finally coming around.

Mike Gilbert was on GR yesterday talking about the reasons for charging for admission to the draft.

Wanting to recuperate the cost of hosting the draft was one of the reasons mentioned.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/115077044/05-07-sabres-vp-mike-gilbert-with-brian-koziol.htm?pageid=1097889

I'm not going to listen to that now, maybe tomorrow.  But as for that particular reason:  BS.  He's telling me that they're not going to recoup those costs on food and drink sales, not only in the arena, but at 716?  And at the hotel?  And rooms at the hotel?  And yes, I realize these are separate businesses with separate budgets.  But just BS.

I'm not going to listen to that now, maybe tomorrow. But as for that particular reason: BS. He's telling me that they're not going to recoup those costs on food and drink sales, not only in the arena, but at 716? And at the hotel? And rooms at the hotel? And yes, I realize these are separate businesses with separate budgets. But just BS.

Exactly. Good to see they think the fans are idiots. <_<

Edited by Taro T

I received this much information. Eleven had additional information. I would have kept going, but I have two finals tomorrow so I should stop :P

Have you begged a professor to reschedule? Because I've had several... :wallbash:

More on topic: charging sucks. Not really much else to say other than...come hang out with Sabrespace at a yet to be determined local establishment instead of paying to go :D

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Have you begged a professor to reschedule? Because I've had several... :wallbash:

More on topic: charging sucks. Not really much else to say other than...come hang out with Sabrespace at a yet to be determined local establishment instead of paying to go :D

Yep!

Hell no, I wanna get home! That's pretty ridiculous though, not sure how other schools are, but the academic calendar for this semester has been up for a year. I knew the dates for my finals the instant I registered for the classes the semester before. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.