How do you feel about Sabres charging for NHL Draft?

PromoTheRobot

You know, I could name a handful or two of contemporary female artists who are the real deal, but I have recently been turned on to Loretta Lynn's story and, while she's still with us, she has got to be the queen of the rest.

She paved the way for female artists to take control of their careers and be more than just a packaged performer.

You can add some of the ladies from late 60's pop to stand beside her, but LL definitely paid her dues.

And Prince was a tiny little guy, too. First time I saw him in person it was shocking, really, considering the size of his media persona (and, yes, despite his smallness being evident in the media).

You know, I could name a handful or two of contemporary female artists who are the real deal, but I have recently been turned on to Loretta Lynn's story and, while she's still with us, she has got to be the queen of the rest.

She paved the way for female artists to take control of their careers and be more than just a packaged performer.

You can add some of the ladies from late 60's pop to stand beside her, but LL definitely paid her dues.

And Prince was a tiny little guy, too. First time I saw him in person it was shocking, really, considering the size of his media persona (and, yes, despite his smallness being evident in the media).

Glad to see someone else out there knows where I'm coming from with LL. Total badass.

I could not name a Gwen Stefani song if you put a gun to my head.  I literally know nothing about her other than some of you find her attractive.  Time for youtube I guess.

EDIT:  After watching four short clips of four videos, I will say that finally, I know the singer responsible for moving me from bars to home.  As soon as I hear that ###### on the juke, I leave.

Thank you, Gwen, if I may call you Gwen, for getting me home safely all these years.

No need to speak Eleven, I know what you're saying.

Has there ever been a true marxist state, though? None of the revolutions have been anywhere near bloody enough. Maybe we could be the first...

There's not even a true capitalist state.  No ideology has ever existed in its true form.  Humanity does not have the capacity to live that way.

I'm coming in from CT for the weekend with Friends. I will try to buy tickets 6/1. If that fails I'll look to the 2ndary market. I heard that there is an outdoor party Friday night too that may be better than being inside?? Saturday tickets will be easy to come by

I'm fine with charging for the Draft, as long as it isn't 'too much'.  If they don't sell it out, they charged too much. Other than that, I'm ok.

This year, it appears 'selling out' should be no problem.  Sabre fans will come close to filling the place, but the huge number of Maple leaf fans coming down from Toronto probably justifies charging for it.

Just make sure you put on a good, or a GREAT show. Have stuff to do outdoors, make it a MAJOR event. With Sabre and Leaf fans all over, this will be another opportunity to 'raise the bar' and put Buffalo on the map for more NHL events.

I hadn't planned on going to this one, because I've been to one and I know how boring it is.  But the one I went to, I was 20 years old.  And yeah, $30 would have broken me.

A guy who wants to take his son and daughter is out $60-90.  That same guy probably shells out hundreds a few times per year to take the family to games.  Considering that no team EVER has charged for admission to the draft, I think the Sabres could have thrown the community a bone here.

At 20 it would have broken me too, and that sucks for your hypothetical father.  But what about the hypothetical accountant who works 60 hours a week and wants to take his two boys but cant buy a ticket because the draft is free and 15,000 Torontonians camped out to get first come first served seating.  Does it not suck for him too?

Wow. That went off the rails really fast.

Why do you think it's okay to look down on people that don't have a lot of money? Why are you viewing this issue from the point of view of a massive business instead of an average hockey fan?

$30 isn't pocket change. And lots of hockey fans are missing out because of it.

So because TP has done some good, nobody should have new opinions about separate issues? Like, say, charging 30 dollars for an event that every other NHL franchise gives away for free?

It's not about money. I didn't always have money.  from 02-04 I lived in the N 15th St projects in Olean and worked at Friendly's as a manager in training. I didnt make dick. And before that I was a single parent in the Army.  Even as a Non-Commissioned Officer back then I received food stamps. Prior to Bush the Armed Forces were grossly underpaid. It's because, if I remember correctly, you're college age. When I was college age I was loud, obnoxious, drank too much and my body produced a large amount of testosterone. I'm in my mid 40's now. I'm quiet, reserved, don't drink to get drunk, and most importantly, my body produces about 1/4 the testosterone. What's the most likely demographic to be at a sporting event and have minimal income? college aged young men.  If $30 helps ensure I sit next to someone who's more my age and maturity level than a college kid, I'm all for it.

I'm  viewing this from the point of a business because tha'ts what it is, a business, and I'm mature enough not to let my emotions get in the way of that fact.

If the draft was free than fans who have jobs wouldn't be able to go because they have to work and can't camp out for tickets.

You like the sound of the Toronto Bills? How about the Quebec Sabres? Yeah, for ensuring my beloved sports teams stay in the community,  and for all the good he's done in the community, he gets a free pass on thirty ###### dollars!  

Gee, no weight behind the way those questions are phrased.

You obviously have never attended an NHL draft.

Been to one. They are FAR more entertaining on TV. Wanted to take my kids so they could say they were there (& actually remembered it) for 1. Can't justify dropping nearly $100 just to walk in the building. May get day 2 tix, but it's not the same. No way in heck anyone (other than possibly a Loafs fan) gets $30 worth of entertainment out of it. Would be surprised if a lot of other Sabre fans don't feel the same way.

They could've had a sold out building's worth of Sabres' fans & all the concessions & merchandise sales that entails. Not to mention the good will & future sales locked in by not grubbing every last $. Now, the building might be sold out, but it'll be Loaf fans buying the tix. (Guess that sells out their hotels as well. Even better for the bottom line. <_<) But they'll lose out on a ton of Eichel & Reinhart & Chychrun (or whoever they draft at 8) sweater sales, possibly enough that they lose out overall.

At 1st glance, it seems to be a very short-sighted decision if they really are playing a long game, which they claim they are & HC evinces. They missed a golden opportunity to build their brand w/ the locals. Thought that was a major reason for them to want the draft. Apparently it wasn't. Guess it's more about trying to entertain USA Hockey & NHL muckety-mucks & show both that the Sabres know how to make THEM money even though they are hurting their own brand.

The problem w/ that is: the draft has ALWAYS been for the local fan. Getting the ASG brings little benefit to the local fans because there are so few tix available. This is the one that they can do for the locals. But it isn't for us; not this year.

The draft sucks. At least live it does. Only people that would go are die hards, and guess what? They have us! We aren't going anywhere. And like it or not, Toronto IS local. And with the #1 pick, that building will be full of leafs fans regardless of price.

But what about the hypothetical accountant who works 60 hours a week and wants to take his two boys but cant buy a ticket because the draft is free and 15,000 Torontonians camped out to get first come first served seating.  Does it not suck for him too?

That never has been the way tix are distributed for the draft.  And even if it were, how does charging make a difference?

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.