How do you feel about Sabres charging for NHL Draft?

PromoTheRobot

Hell no, I wanna get home! That's pretty ridiculous though, not sure how other schools are, but the academic calendar for this semester has been up for a year. I knew the dates for my finals the instant I registered for the classes the semester before. 

Yea, everything is centrally scheduled when the course schedule is set. I do have some sympathy for those with back-to-back exams (been there done that, it sucks), but it's not exactly unknown, so ya know...prepare for it? Maybe?

BTW I think you and WildCard need to hire some friends for the draft get together so we can properly fill out the kids table.

Yea, everything is centrally scheduled when the course schedule is set. I do have some sympathy for those with back-to-back exams (been there done that, it sucks), but it's not exactly unknown, so ya know...prepare for it? Maybe?

BTW I think you and WildCard need to hire some friends for the draft get together so we can properly fill out the kids table.

Back-to-backs aren't even that bad, IMO. Tests are kinda fun if you've prepared for them. (That's the rub, though.) 

Have you seen how much we post here? I guess I can't speak for him, but I don't have friends :lol: 

Back-to-backs aren't even that bad, IMO. Tests are kinda fun if you've prepared for them. (That's the rub, though.) 

Have you seen how much we post here? I guess I can't speak for him, but I don't have friends :lol:

I was going to say you can't possibly have fewer friends than I do (they have been abducted by wives and children, largely), but then I remembered you just said back to back finals are kinda fun. 

It's really dumb. Charging for the draft? Go f yourselves, Sabres and NHL.

I love when you get all hot under the collar.

I've gone to the Devils, Wild, Kings, Flyers, and Penguins boards to ask them about the drafts in 2010-2014.

That's good. You kids fan out. I'll make a pot of coffee. Report back in on the walkie talkies.

When I was in school, the ABA rule was no more than 2 in 24 hours and no more than 3 in 72.  (Keep in mind that traditionally, the grade was based 100% on the final.  There were no quizzes, there were no papers, etc.)  It was up to the school to make appropriate accommodations.  It never was an issue for me, but it was for some of my friends.

Undergrad, I'm pretty sure it was anything goes, but the finals schedule was definitely NOT known until about two weeks before exams.

What do you do when a student has two exams at the same time?

Edited by Eleven

When I was in school, the ABA rule was no more than 2 in 24 hours and no more than 3 in 72.  (Keep in mind that traditionally, the grade was based 100% on the final.  There were no quizzes, there were no papers, etc.)  It was up to the school to make appropriate accommodations.  It never was an issue for me, but it was for some of my friends.

Undergrad, I'm pretty sure it was anything goes, but the finals schedule was definitely NOT known until about two weeks before exams.

What do you do when a student has two exams at the same time?

I think I only had an actual final exam in grad school once or twice--usually ~30 page papers take the place of a final. Hell, even my advanced stats class was a paper.

Every place I teach now the exam schedule is known at the start of the semester. I even include the time in my syllabi! If there's a direct conflict (exceedingly rare), I make accommodations for the department secretary to administer the exam at some point after the rest of the class has taken it.

I think I'm actually going there with my buddies as it is. The ticket prices were a real deterrent though, as now I don't have enough to pay them to laugh at my jokes  :(

I was going to say you can't possibly have fewer friends than I do (they have been abducted by wives and children, largely), but then I remembered you just said back to back finals are kinda fun. 

Probably because you're some savage who hates music 

Friends I have. Girlfriend though, not so much  :lol:

It's my senior year and honestly, I'm just going to wing my finals this semester. About 80% sure I'll fail my History Of Math exam tomorrow night. But I'll get a 'B' with the project and hw grades. Other than that I'll get my usual grades 

Edited by WildCard

I think I'm actually going there with my buddies as it is. The ticket prices were a real deterrent though, as now I don't have enough to pay them to laugh at my jokes  :(

Probably because you're some savage who hates music 

Friends I have. Girlfriend though, not so much  :lol:

It's my senior year and honestly, I'm just going to wing my finals this semester. About 80% sure I'll fail my History Of Math exam tomorrow night. But I'll get a 'B' with the project and hw grades. Other than that I'll get my usual grades 

Now that's a course that seems interesting.

$30 for lower bowl and 200s?  $20 for the 300s?  WTF.  I really wanted to go to this.  Been in the back of my mind all year, but, that's $30 plus fees for essentially 5 minutes of gratification.  And that's assuming I got the tickets, and they were close enough that I could see their faces well enough.  I don't go to the FNC for concerts for that very reason.  Free, sure, pay, uhmm...no.

Now that's a course that seems interesting.

You would think so, right? Problem is, she's a terrible teacher, and I'm really not all that good at math outside of Calculus and Discrete Logic. Geometry and other fields absolutely wreck me. Doesn't help when she doesn't grade your homework, and makes the class online where she sends you a youtube link of an MIT lecture. Literally getting paid to do nothing 

Mike Gilbert was on GR yesterday talking about the reasons for charging for admission to the draft.

Wanting to recuperate the cost of hosting the draft was one of the reasons mentioned.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/115077044/05-07-sabres-vp-mike-gilbert-with-brian-koziol.htm?pageid=1097889

Gilbert comes off as a dick imo and his reasons are

Mike Gilbert was on GR yesterday talking about the reasons for charging for admission to the draft.

Wanting to recuperate the cost of hosting the draft was one of the reasons mentioned.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/115077044/05-07-sabres-vp-mike-gilbert-with-brian-koziol.htm?pageid=1097889

Please, please. It's Gibby

Gibby has been with the organization for, what, almost 20 years? I believe all (or most) of that time has been spent in PR and community relations. Maybe he has something (much?) to do with the ham-handedness PA decries.

Can't blame him for the in-arena failings, though. 

Why is it bush league for a business to make money? Why do you(the collective you, not you specifically) feel entitled?

I wasn't planning on going to the draft either way, but charging fans to watch old guys sit at a table?  Why is that ever okay?  No other teams do it, or if they do, they charge a buck twenty-five.  Sabres fans are die hard and super loyal so how does our loyalty get rewarded?  It doesn't, the Sabres' higher ups try to use that die hard hockey fandom to squeeze some extra profit out of the draft.

Trying to make this about "entitlement" is a joke.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Charge Away. I wanted to go to the draft a few years ago in Philly and couldnt get tickets at all. So if I can pay for a ticket and go I am fine with that.

And to add, I think TPEGS has done enough for Buffalo without having to hear people bitch about charging for a ticket at the draft.

I wasn't planning on going to the draft either way, but charging fans to watch old guys sit at a table?  Why is that ever okay?  No other teams do it, or if they do, they charge a buck twenty-five.  Sabres fans are die hard and super loyal so how does our loyalty get rewarded?  It doesn't, the Sabres' higher ups try to use that die hard hockey fandom to squeeze some extra profit out of the draft.

Trying to make this about "entitlement" is a joke.

You answered your own question as well as I could have. It's that simple. Buffalo fans care that much about hockey that they'll pay the price. It's $30. Who gives a . If that's going to break you, maybe you shouldn't be there. If that $30 is enough to keep you out, I'm happy, you're probably not someone I want sitting next to me.

You answered your own question as well as I could have. It's that simple. Buffalo fans care that much about hockey that they'll pay the price. It's $30. Who gives a ######. If that's going to break you, maybe you shouldn't be there. If that $30 is enough to keep you out, I'm happy, you're probably not someone I want sitting next to me.

I hadn't planned on going to this one, because I've been to one and I know how boring it is.  But the one I went to, I was 20 years old.  And yeah, $30 would have broken me.

A guy who wants to take his son and daughter is out $60-90.  That same guy probably shells out hundreds a few times per year to take the family to games.  Considering that no team EVER has charged for admission to the draft, I think the Sabres could have thrown the community a bone here.

You answered your own question as well as I could have. It's that simple. Buffalo fans care that much about hockey that they'll pay the price. It's $30. Who gives a ######. If that's going to break you, maybe you shouldn't be there. If that $30 is enough to keep you out, I'm happy, you're probably not someone I want sitting next to me.

Wow. That went off the rails really fast.

Why do you think it's okay to look down on people that don't have a lot of money? Why are you viewing this issue from the point of view of a massive business instead of an average hockey fan?

$30 isn't pocket change. And lots of hockey fans are missing out because of it.

And to add, I think TPEGS has done enough for Buffalo without having to hear people bitch about charging for a ticket at the draft.

So because TP has done some good, nobody should have new opinions about separate issues? Like, say, charging 30 dollars for an event that every other NHL franchise gives away for free?

Edited by qwksndmonster

Why is it bush league for a business to make money? Why do you(the collective you, not you specifically) feel entitled?

Gee, no weight behind the way those questions are phrased.

You obviously have never attended an NHL draft.

Been to one. They are FAR more entertaining on TV. Wanted to take my kids so they could say they were there (& actually remembered it) for 1. Can't justify dropping nearly $100 just to walk in the building. May get day 2 tix, but it's not the same. No way in heck anyone (other than possibly a Loafs fan) gets $30 worth of entertainment out of it. Would be surprised if a lot of other Sabre fans don't feel the same way.

They could've had a sold out building's worth of Sabres' fans & all the concessions & merchandise sales that entails. Not to mention the good will & future sales locked in by not grubbing every last $. Now, the building might be sold out, but it'll be Loaf fans buying the tix. (Guess that sells out their hotels as well. Even better for the bottom line. <_<) But they'll lose out on a ton of Eichel & Reinhart & Chychrun (or whoever they draft at 8) sweater sales, possibly enough that they lose out overall.

At 1st glance, it seems to be a very short-sighted decision if they really are playing a long game, which they claim they are & HC evinces. They missed a golden opportunity to build their brand w/ the locals. Thought that was a major reason for them to want the draft. Apparently it wasn't. Guess it's more about trying to entertain USA Hockey & NHL muckety-mucks & show both that the Sabres know how to make THEM money even though they are hurting their own brand.

The problem w/ that is: the draft has ALWAYS been for the local fan. Getting the ASG brings little benefit to the local fans because there are so few tix available. This is the one that they can do for the locals. But it isn't for us; not this year.

I feel it's Terry's team and he can do what he wants with it. NO ONE IS ENTITLED TO ANYTHING, not even free tickets to the NHL draft. It's worth something, whatever the market will bear, and it HAS to be monetized. He has an OBLIGATION  to generate revenues and grow the pie. Nothing to see here.

I see they finally got to you, eh?

Anyway, I think this stinks, but I will not blame the owner.  Why bother, there is no point.

Gee, no weight behind the way those questions are phrased.

You obviously have never attended an NHL draft.

Been to one. They are FAR more entertaining on TV. Wanted to take my kids so they could say they were there (& actually remembered it) for 1. Can't justify dropping nearly $100 just to walk in the building. May get day 2 tix, but it's not the same. No way in heck anyone (other than possibly a Loafs fan) gets $30 worth of entertainment out of it. Would be surprised if a lot of other Sabre fans don't feel the same way.

They could've had a sold out building's worth of Sabres' fans & all the concessions & merchandise sales that entails. Not to mention the good will & future sales locked in by not grubbing every last $. Now, the building might be sold out, but it'll be Loaf fans buying the tix. (Guess that sells out their hotels as well. Even better for the bottom line. <_<) But they'll lose out on a ton of Eichel & Reinhart & Chychrun (or whoever they draft at 8) sweater sales, possibly enough that they lose out overall.

At 1st glance, it seems to be a very short-sighted decision if they really are playing a long game, which they claim they are & HC evinces. They missed a golden opportunity to build their brand w/ the locals. Thought that was a major reason for them to want the draft. Apparently it wasn't. Guess it's more about trying to entertain USA Hockey & NHL muckety-mucks & show both that the Sabres know how to make THEM money even though they are hurting their own brand.

The problem w/ that is: the draft has ALWAYS been for the local fan. Getting the ASG brings little benefit to the local fans because there are so few tix available. This is the one that they can do for the locals. But it isn't for us; not this year.

Wondering if the NHL is behind this to see whether the draft can generate revenue in a "hot" hockey market.  Certainly a possibility.

Wondering if the NHL is behind this to see whether the draft can generate revenue in a "hot" hockey market.  Certainly a possibility.

One would hope so. But it seems, at least upon initial thought, that it's more of a premise brought forth by the Sabres. The Sabres are trying to get themselves in the "inner circle" of hockey leadership. HC, bringing in the draft combine, the WJC's, trying to get USA Hockey functions relocated towards Buffalo, as a few examples. What better way, especially w/ the old guard thinning, than to make some bucks for the other 29 guys in the room?

In theory having MFT status would be beneficial. But many of the friggin' league offices are in TO and this year marks 50 years of desert hikes for them. It hasn't brought their fans anything but a misplaced smugness.

Well, the facts appear to be that prior host cities have generally not charged admission.

Assuming that is correct -- this is a bush league move by the Sabres.

Yeah. Not a good look.

This old trope again? Every situation warrants its own analysis. A lot of people on this board - from different parts of the "spectrum," if you will - are calling bullspit on this.

FFS, man. 

I think the Sabres could have thrown the community a bone here.

Abso frickin lutely.

I blame Gibby.

Now, the building might be sold out, but it'll be Loaf fans buying the tix. (Guess that sells out their hotels as well. Even better for the bottom line. <_<) 

So, PA got sort of a rough ride when Gibby said the franchise LOVES fans of the NHL from southern Ontario. That emoji above is well-placed. This scenario has an aroma to it.

Maybe. But that is going to be so market dependent in the years to come.

I think Taro's theory makes more sense: Russ Brandon saw a profit centre (Toronto picking first) and decided to exploit it so as to benefit multiple platforms. Good job, Russ.

Also: I blame Gibby.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.