How do you feel about Sabres charging for NHL Draft?

PromoTheRobot

They did. They also, through the marketing geniuses that they are / employee, have their prime seats jacked WAAAAY above what they should be priced as they are "all inclusive" on game days. (Which is why their rink always looks empty on TV; the prime seats don't sell well & they are vigilant in keeping people from "sneaking down" because the seats come w/ free food & beer.)

Don't know for certain, but they probably did that w/ the draft as well. (Would be willing to make a very small wager that that was the case regarding those "select" seats.) So, those that bought were in all likelihood getting all they could eat/ drink for that $75. Buffalo isn't doing that.

Whatever the details were, I'm just pointing out that another team has charged admission to the event before us - which isn't what some are saying in this thread. Perhaps we are doing it differently, but it hasn't been totally free, for every seat, in every draft prior to 2016.

I'm not going to judge anyone specifically on this topic.  I think it's plausible the NHL may have some influence on these decisions.  I have some thoughts that might have gone into the decision.. I don't lend them any merit other than brainstorming.

• Charging keeps the typical "tail-gater fan" out of the draft.  This potentially leads to a more controlled crowd on TV which translates into a better image for Buffalo.
  • Charging keeps Toronto fans from taking over the arena.
  • Charging brings even more money in from Toronto fans who were going to show up anyway.
I dunno.  Personally, I don't like it.

Recouping the costs to host it?  Then don't host it.

With all due respect, charging an exhorbitant amount ($30 to watch guys sit at tables is exhorbitant) they're guaranteeing TO fans will take over the arena as most Sabres' fans w/ only an 8th overall to cheer for aren't going to drop that coin.

It will bring more money from TO fans. It will also bring in less from Sabre fans who are now NOT going to the Sabre Store on their way in or out. How many shirts did LQ sell from a rink packed w/ Sabres fans for the unveiling of the slug? They screwed up w/ their own fan base. Not sure we're who they're concerned w/ impressing right now. (Actually, pretty sure we're not.)

Whatever the details were, I'm just pointing out that another team has charged admission to the event before us - which isn't what some are saying in this thread. Perhaps we are doing it differently, but it hasn't been totally free, for every seat, in every draft prior to 2016.

Pretty sure the suites were open back in '98 as well. Have to believe the "all orders are multiples of 6" was in place up there then as well. So suite holders getting socked back then didn't change the fact that the regular seating was free. As it was in FLA last year.

With all due respect, charging an exhorbitant amount ($30 to watch guys sit at tables is exhorbitant) they're guaranteeing TO fans will take over the arena as most Sabres' fans w/ only an 8th overall to cheer for aren't going to drop that coin.

It will bring more money from TO fans. It will also bring in less from Sabre fans who are now NOT going to the Sabre Store on their way in or out. How many shirts did LQ sell from a rink packed w/ Sabres fans for the unveiling of the slug? They screwed up w/ their own fan base. Not sure we're who they're concerned w/ impressing right now. (Actually, pretty sure we're not.)

Pretty sure the suites were open back in '98 as well. Have to believe the "all orders are multiples of 6" was in place up there then as well. So suite holders getting socked back then didn't change the fact that the regular seating was free. As it was in FLA last year.

The bold is a great point.

I think you nailed it.  They are charging this fee since they know most fans will be from TO to witness the *next one* pull on that Leaves jersey.

It`s all part of the master marketing plan.  Now it all makes sense.

Where is my pitch fork and torch?  Buffalo, I'm coming for ya ...

I can't imagine this is a test to see if charging tickets for future drafts is feasible.  The Toronto market makes such a test invalid for pretty much all of the rest of the NHL.

I think the fee plays right into the Southern Ontario marketing plan.  Toronto fans will gladly pay money to see a historical draft (for their team), pay for the rooms to stay in, and keep the restaurants and shoppes busy for a few days.

With Harbour Centre comes the overhead of keeping it alive; and charging for tickets is clearly part of that (ongoing) effort.

What does HC's overhead have to do w/ an event in a different venue? :unsure:

Are we really expecting this to turn into a full weekend trip that stays in Pegulaville rather than Friday evening drive back Saturday?

And a buffet and beverages.

The Sabres charged for a premium area in 1991, too, but again, that included food and beverages.

Better answer. :thumbsup:

What does HC's overhead have to do w/ an event in a different venue? :unsure:

Are we really expecting this to turn into a full weekend trip that stays in Pegulaville rather than Friday evening drive back Saturday?

That's all one combined multi-purposed venue in my eyes: Event, lodging, dining. 

I wonder if Kim will see to the development of a live music venue within that footprint somehow, so they can trot out one of their up and coming country crooners.

Also, I thought you and Sizzle were making the same point, in essence: Getting "heads in beds" at the foot of Washington is going to be a focus for Pegula Sports and Entertainment.

That's all one combined multi-purposed venue in my eyes: Event, lodging, dining. 

I wonder if Kim will see to the development of a live music venue within that footprint somehow, so they can trot out one of their up and coming country crooners.

Also, I thought you and Sizzle were making the same point, in essence: Getting "heads in beds" at the foot of Washington is going to be a focus for Pegula Sports and Entertainment.

Pretty much we are as to the rationale. But that doesn't change that it's wrong to do.

Just 1 more poke to the eye of the fans that watched (& paid for) much of the garbage that has been the bulk of the 2010's w/ this franchise.

I guess I'm also still hoping that there's some LT gain that we, as Sabres fans get, for having been sold out in the ST. (Though I realize, odds are, there aren't.)

If it's as simple as filling up Pegulaville, then it's even more galling. Was not a fan of the changes that happened when TB was relieved of his duties. This doesn't make them any better.

For what it's worth, 300 level seats are only $20.

Having seasons in the 300's, I can guarantee you that is completely overpriced for being able to feel any of the emotion of what's going on down on the floor. You won't be near any of the players nor their families nor will you randomly encounter Bert or others up there.

For hockey, the seats are fun. You see plays develop in a way that you can't see down low. There are no "developing plays" at the tables. You couldn't pay me to watch the draft from the 300's.

Having seasons in the 300's, I can guarantee you that is completely overpriced for being able to feel any of the emotion of what's going on down on the floor. You won't be near any of the players nor their families nor will you randomly encounter Bert or others up there.

For hockey, the seats are fun. You see plays develop in a way that you can't see down low. There are no "developing plays" at the tables. You couldn't pay me to watch the draft from the 300's.

I understand. For the draft here in Sunrise I was in the 300 level, but I had front row right behind the section where McDavid and Eichel were sitting with their families, with the Sabres table right across from them. So it was relatively close. The 300 level didn't completely sell out so we were able to spread out and get comfortable. I see the point where locals want the tickets free, and I also see it from the demand standpoint. The demand will probably be higher than it was down here, even with Eichel/McDavid. 

I see.

I feel the outrage, to a point. But I think it is naive to think that the creation of HarborCenter does not necessitate this sort of thing.

:huh:

HC necessitates preferring out of towners to the draft over locals?

The Sabres are the 1st team to make the draft about the money they can get today rather than using it as a goodwill gesture towards/ for their fans (which also made money for the previous hosts).

They've done a lot of good things. This isn't one of them.

Taro T, on 09 May 2016 - 2:47 PM, said:

If it's as simple as filling up Pegulaville, then it's even more galling. Was not a fan of the changes that happened when TB was relieved of his duties. This doesn't make them any better.

I don't see how it's any more or less than that.  It's not personal, it's strictly business.  My prior post wasn't excusing it, just noting that as a business tactic it makes complete sense.

The Sabres are the 1st team to make the draft about the money they can get today rather than using it as a goodwill gesture towards/ for their fans (which also made money for the previous hosts).

We've had plenty of threads here since the Pegulas took over that have discussed this very thing.  PA, I'm sure, has been banned, probably, trying to make the point.

They've done a lot of good things. This isn't one of them.

Yeah, it's a dick move in my book. No doubt in my mind that TP would welcome ads on jerseys too. Hell, we're probably pushing for them

:huh:

HC necessitates preferring out of towners to the draft over locals?

Well, it does not necessitate it, per se. But if we're talking about a gambit on the part of PSE that seems to have an eye on increasing the bookings at the Marriott atop HarborCenter ... well, then, yeah. Maybe. In this instance anyway.

I don't see how it's any more or less than that.  It's not personal, it's strictly business.  My prior post wasn't excusing it, just noting that as a business tactic it makes complete sense.

This is where my head was at. I'm not even saying that, for sure, that is what's going on. My only point is that PSE didn't build that Marriott and adjoining palatial sports bar without a plan to get a ROI. Southern Ontario has to factor heavily into that equation.

Are these going to be general admission tickets? One thing to keep in mind, in other drafts all the free tickets were general admission and handed out like candy. Many more tickets were issued than the arenas could hold but the demand never gave them anything to worry about. By paying for a seat you are guaranteed a seat. With Toronto getting the #1 pick, their fans right up the street, and BFLO fans being such diehards........ if they handed out free general admission tickets in BFLO it would be absolute chaos. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Well, it does not necessitate it, per se. But if we're talking about a gambit on the part of PSE that seems to have an eye on increasing the bookings at the Marriott atop HarborCenter ... well, then, yeah. Maybe. In this instance anyway.

This is where my head was at. I'm not even saying that, for sure, that is what's going on. My only point is that PSE didn't build that Marriott and adjoining palatial sports bar without a plan to get a ROI. Southern Ontario has to factor heavily into that equation.

And yet the restaurant was closed on Christmas Eve. Guess they figured no one would come over the border for lunch.

Reason for existence... We don't want to be in the development business, just get an assist on someone else's goal. What happened?

So the Harbor Center tail is now wagging the dog in the arena?

For all the hysteria surrounding my post about Gilbert's comment, this move sure fits into a narrative about marketing to Southern Ontario Leafs fans. Huh...

Reason for existence... We don't want to be in the development business, just get an assist on someone else's goal. What happened?

So the Harbor Center tail is now wagging the dog in the arena?

For all the hysteria surrounding my post about Gilbert's comment, this move sure fits into a narrative about marketing to Southern Ontario Leafs fans. Huh...

You've got three wide chasms to bridge there.

You've got three wide chasms to bridge there.

Believe me, I don't have a problem. It's going to be a big, beautiful bridge.

Wow, this team better make the playoffs next year. If they don't, there won't be a drop of good will left for this franchise among the fans.

Believe me, I don't have a problem. It's going to be a big, beautiful bridge.

Wow, this team better make the playoffs next year. If they don't, there won't be a drop of good will left for this franchise among the fans.

The only way it is acceptable for this team to miss the playoffs is if significant numbers of core players are injured for significant periods of time.  I mean like 160 man-games among guys like Kane, Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, and ROR.

Buffalo Iron Works on Illinois St. has live music.

Well, then, I will be expecting to receive a pond hockey whiz kid with no defensive awareness from the Q as my parting gift when I leave the FNC.

You know he will collect dust in the closet alongside the work in process prototypical power forward with no hands and average skating ability from the Dub that you got last time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.