OT: The artist known as Prince is reportedly dead

LGR4GM

It is an under-reported and under-rated aspect of his genius. I think he's the best guitar player I ever saw play live.

Back in my college days, I damn near ended a treasured friendship because, over beers, my friend scoffed (like he literally made a sound that sounded like that word) when I observed that Prince was, in essence, a Beethoven or Bach (pick a composer) of our era.

Glad what I wrote resonated. And I agree with your sentiments.

When Bowie passed, I more held my hat against my chest out of respect and admiration. Prince is far more personal for me.

Oh, and N'eo.

As for the remaining geniuses, I'd have to give that some thought. George Clinton probably belongs on that list. But maybe not definitely? Maybe just a cut below a list that would include people like Prince. I'm not sure. And I love me some Parliament-Funkadelic.

Byrne is an interesting case. I've struggled with him because he's often been so iconoclastic. I think he'd fall short of the true short list, for me. He'd be hanging out somewhere in (above?) the general area of a Peter Gabriel or Michael Stipe.

I think you're on it! Gabriel - maybe my favorite concert ever - Shea's.

I especially like your Beethoven / Bach conversation. I use similar analogies with my kds, young friends. I'll hit operas, symphonies, and try to make the case that these "old names" were the trend setting pop stars of their era. I had my kids Google "Stravinsky Rite of Spring Paris". These weren't high brow, old, monied ... Stravinsky innovated pop culture.

Edited by N'eo

Deputies are on scene of a death investigation at Paisley Park in Chanhassen. More info to follow. -814

Prince's house. He had cancelled a few concerts due to an illness, so the police may just be there for routine procedures 

According to TMZ, his jet had to make an emergency landing less than an hour from it's destination a few days ago because he was so ill. He was taken to the hospital, but the next day threw a party letting everyone know he was OK and thanking them for their concern. The missed tour dates were supposedly because of the flu. Not sure if this past illness did attribute to his death or not.

Nonetheless 57 is much too young to die.

It is an under-reported and under-rated aspect of his genius. I think he's the best guitar player I ever saw play live.

As far as I am concerned, Prince is the #2 guitar player of my lifetime (I was knee high when Jimi died so I'm not counting him).  I think somewhere in the top 5 all time is realistic.  He didn't get the recognition he deserved because his music typically wasn't guitar-centric like Eddie's, Eric's, and Stevie's was, but only Eddie was probably better.

As for his music, it was also a guilty pleasure of mine.  I was, and still am, a metal guy.  But Purple Rain was the album that got me through a pretty dark spot in my teenage years.  Heard Let's Go Crazy on the way home and suddenly it was allergy season.

Rest in peace.

Riding in the car with my wife this afternoon.  A local, quite "family friendly" radio station is on, and asks listeners to request their favorite Prince songs. She turns to me and says: "You have no idea how badly I want to call them repeatedly and ask for P***y Control..."

I really, really love that woman. 

Also, sad to hear of Prince's passing.  Didn't hit me as hard as Bowie, but one can not help but recognize the brilliance of the light that was extinguished. 

Riding in the car with my wife this afternoon.  A local, quite "family friendly" radio station is on, and asks listeners to request their favorite Prince songs. She turns to me and says: "You have no idea how badly I want to call them repeatedly and ask for P***y Control..."

I really, really love that woman. 

Also, sad to hear of Prince's passing.  Didn't hit me as hard as Bowie, but one can not help but recognize the brilliance of the light that was extinguished. 

That's awesome. Keep her happy!

We all have silly criteria. One of mine is "If she doesn't like the song P Control, then she's not the one." It just wouldn't work out.

Much like Bowie, I can claim no true personal attachment to Prince. I knew his hits, knew he was kinda weird, knew he changed his name to a symbol and back, knew the Charlie Murphy story on Chappelle, but that was about it. Until that half-time show, I had no idea what kind of guitar player he was. Completely changed my view of him. I still don't know his stuff well, but he's awesome in my eyes.

I'm also a sucker for a show in the rain. Nothing feels more real then a bunch of people sopping wet in the rain at a rock show, and the band just eating it up. See: The Tragically Hip a few summers ago.

Edited by sabills

Much like Bowie, I can claim no true personal attachment to Prince. I knew his hits, knew he was kinda weird, knew he changed his name to a symbol and back, knew the Charlie Murphy story on Chappelle, but that was about it. Until that half-time show, I had no idea what kind of guitar player he was. Completely changed my view of him. I still don't know his stuff well, but he's awesome in my eyes.

I'm also a sucker for a show in the rain. Nothing feels more real then a bunch of people sopping wet in the rain at a rock show, and the band just eating it up. See: The Tragically Hip a few summers ago.

I knew more about bowie than him, would have never gone to see him though.   He might have been the best guitar player ever, but never used it much in his songs.

He did put on a great show is what I keep hearing, but to be honest his singing was so bad I would never have paid for that.  But he had good background singers to cover that up.

As far as I am concerned, Prince is the #2 guitar player of my lifetime (I was knee high when Jimi died so I'm not counting him).  I think somewhere in the top 5 all time is realistic.  He didn't get the recognition he deserved because his music typically wasn't guitar-centric like Eddie's, Eric's, and Stevie's was, but only Eddie was probably better.

As for his music, it was also a guilty pleasure of mine.  I was, and still am, a metal guy.  But Purple Rain was the album that got me through a pretty dark spot in my teenage years.  Heard Let's Go Crazy on the way home and suddenly it was allergy season.

Rest in peace.

RIP, that being said ranking guitar players is all taste, prince was an incredible entertainer too, but didnt his lyrics didnt do much for me. Guitarist at his level include Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, BB King, Muddy Waters all different but all genius an overatted term. That being said, I love good music and guitarists and he was one who will be missed.

I wasn't there, but evidently Bruce Springsteen opened his concert last night with Purple Rain, and told the audience that whenever he saw Prince perform, he always left the show feeling humbled.

i was there, unbelievable show. Bruce payed from 8:10ish to midinght, straight through, no brreaks.  I was exhausted at the end of it, don;t know how Bruce and the E Street band do it at age 67ish

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.