OT: The artist known as Prince is reportedly dead

LGR4GM

As a young man (like, just into my teens), I was dogmatically into prog rock. Nothing else could or would do. Yeah, yeah - I knew my Genesis, Gabriel, and Yes backways and front. But I also knew my King Crimson, as well as the various side projects in which its various members participated. And that was way pre-internet.

Being a prog rock nutter was part of my early teen persona too. It was how I presented myself to the world. (Stupid, yes. But, I was ~13 at the time.)

There were two exceptions to my strict rules of perceived musical excellence. And I would only listen to them on the down-low, so to speak. One exception was The Beatles. But that one I felt okay about because even my prog rock idols adored The Beatles. The other was Prince. He was undeniable, man. He could write songs every bit the match of Lennon and McCartney. And dude could SHRED. Loved that guy. Weird as he was. Long live, and R.I.P.

I dearly loved the man and his music for decades, but, I will admit, haven't given him much of a thought in the past 10 years or so.

Well, it turns out the guy went bat sh1t insane at some point. Like, devout and strict Jehovah's Witness God will smite down the modern Sodoms and Gomorrahs, and I'm gonna stop taking my H.I.V. medications ... sort of crazy.

I'm hearing that his my-trust-is-in-the-Lord-anti-vax-ish refusal to continue taking his meds (think Magic Johnson's life post HIV) is why he fell ill and died.

Such a shame.

Oh, and here's one of the greatest moments in the history of music, dating back to the first time that a neanderthal stretched an animal skin tight and thumbed out a beat (on to ~3:32 to witness something other-worldly):

I dearly loved the man and his music for decades, but, I will admit, haven't given him much of a thought in the past 10 years or so.

Well, it turns out the guy went bat sh1t insane at some point. Like, devout and strict Jehovah's Witness God will smite down the modern Sodoms and Gomorrahs, and I'm gonna stop taking my H.I.V. medications ... sort of crazy.

I'm hearing that his my-trust-is-in-the-Lord-anti-vax-ish refusal to continue taking his meds (think Magic Johnson's life post HIV) is why he fell ill and died.

Such a shame.

Oh, and here's one of the greatest moments in the history of music, dating back to the first time that a neanderthal stretched an animal skin tight and thumbed out a beat (on to ~3:32 to witness something other-worldly):

Holy mackerel.  That was incredible.  I knew he could play the guitar but that was some high octane Jimi Hendrix rocking right there.

As a young man (like, just into my teens), I was dogmatically into prog rock. Nothing else could or would do. Yeah, yeah - I knew my Genesis, Gabriel, and Yes backways and front. But I also knew my King Crimson, as well as the various side projects in which its various members participated. And that was way pre-internet.

Being a prog rock nutter was part of my early teen persona too. It was how I presented myself to the world. (Stupid, yes. But, I was ~13 at the time.)

There were two exceptions to my strict rules of perceived musical excellence. And I would only listen to them on the down-low, so to speak. One exception was The Beatles. But that one I felt okay about because even my prog rock idols adored The Beatles. The other was Prince. He was undeniable, man. He could write songs every bit the match of Lennon and McCartney. And dude could SHRED. Loved that guy. Weird as he was. Long live, and R.I.P.

Every word you wrote, right down to the bands. Add punk and alternative to progressive, for me. But I found me some Prince.

I wrote "genius" when eulogizing Bowie. Prince made my very small list, too. It seems odd I'm using it twice, in months. Coincidental timing, I assure you, and not profligate use of the term. With Michael Jackson gone, I'm out of personal geniuses as regards musicians of my era. I'd love suggestions if anyone feels I'm missing a biggie. George Clinton? David Byrne? I'm thinking so ...

Prince shared Bowie's showmanship and disregard for labels when risk taking was involved. Less warm, more bad. Awesome "bad". What a streak ...

Dig if you will, the picture ... and rest in peace.

Edited by N'eo

Holy mackerel.  That was incredible.  I knew he could play the guitar but that was some high octane Jimi Hendrix rocking right there.

It is an under-reported and under-rated aspect of his genius. I think he's the best guitar player I ever saw play live.

Back in my college days, I damn near ended a treasured friendship because, over beers, my friend scoffed (like he literally made a sound that sounded like that word) when I observed that Prince was, in essence, a Beethoven or Bach (pick a composer) of our era.

Every word you wrote, right down to the bands. Add punk and alternative to progressive, for me. But I found me some Prince.

I wrote "genius" when eulogizing Bowie. Prince made my very small list, too. It seems odd I'm using it twice, in months. Coincidental timing, I assure you, and not profligate use of the term. With Michael Jackson gone, I'm out of personal geniuses as regards musicians of my era. I'd love suggestions if anyone feels I'm missing a biggie. George Clinton? David Byrne? I'm thinking so ...

Prince shared Bowie's showmanship and disregard for labels when risk taking was involved. Less warm, more bad. Awesome "bad". What a streak ...

Glad what I wrote resonated. And I agree with your sentiments.

When Bowie passed, I more held my hat against my chest out of respect and admiration. Prince is far more personal for me.

Oh, and N'eo.

As for the remaining geniuses, I'd have to give that some thought. George Clinton probably belongs on that list. But maybe not definitely? Maybe just a cut below a list that would include people like Prince. I'm not sure. And I love me some Parliament-Funkadelic.

Byrne is an interesting case. I've struggled with him because he's often been so iconoclastic. I think he'd fall short of the true short list, for me. He'd be hanging out somewhere in (above?) the general area of a Peter Gabriel or Michael Stipe.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.